It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colbert and Branson in On-Air Water Fight

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Colbert and Branson in On-Air Water Fight

www.dailymail.co.uk

Virgin tycoon Sir Richard Branson hurled a glass of water of a TV presenter after he was banned from talking about his new airline, according to reports.

The multi-millionaire, 57, was being interviewed by US political comic Stephen Colbert in front of a live studio audience in New York when he lost his cool.

But despite being drenched, the host, who Branson had named a plane after, refused to be phased.

He demanded a bottle of water from aides and then retaliated by flinging it...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:

en.wikipedia.org
www.comedycentral.com

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Normally I wouldn't dare quote any news from the Daily Mail, but the article is everywhere, and there's was actually the best written this time around.

For fans of The Colbert Report, or Virgin Records, this episode is set to air on August 22nd.

It's fairly expected of Branson to do something immature like this, but bravo to Colbert for the huevos it took to give tit for tat to this spoiled billionaire.

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 8/14/2007 by thelibra]

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 10:29 AM
link   
This is too much.
Colbert is one of the best there is and I love the way he handles himself in these situations.
What would even funnier is if it would be Lewis Black doing the interview . . .
I personally think Branson is one of those prime examples of too much time and too much money. Something about losing touch with reality. But hey, thats just my opinion.

Thanks, this made my morning.

~B

[edit on 8/14/2007 by bobafett1972]

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by thelibra
It's fairly expected of Branson to do something immature like this, but bravo to Colbert for the huevos it took to give tit for tat to this spoiled billionaire.

[edit on 8/14/2007 by thelibra]

By what evidence do you call him a 'spoiled billionaire'?

Branson created his wealth himself by ingenuity and hard graft, that ingenuity started even before he left school when he was sellingand buying records..
I know Branson and have done so for many years and can tell you he is definately no 'spoiled billionaire'

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chorlton
Branson created his wealth himself by ingenuity and hard graft,

..and a certain "misunderstanding" with the Revenue & Customs regarding a purchase tax fraud - ingenious for sure...

Virgin Music - started amid a sophisticated purchase-tax fraud that Branson admitted in 1971 - was sold in 1992 for a record £560m. That money sustained Virgin Atlantic, the airline started in 1984 with a single, old Boeing 747.

The Guardian

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Not strictly true as Branson started his record busines at school then moved on after school to market stalls. It was a lot later when he began his tiny Virgin Music shop.

However my point about him not being a 'Spoiled Billionaire' stands. He is not. A good self publicist yep, but isnt every successfull businessman?

Hes helped a lot of people out of the poo when they needed it and theres a lot of people who are successfull now because of what he did.

Without him hammering at BA you would probably still be paying £200 to fly to Paris.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Branson created his wealth himself by ingenuity and hard graft, that ingenuity started even before he left school when he was sellingand buying records..
I know Branson and have done so for many years and can tell you he is definately no 'spoiled billionaire'

I did not mean as in "handed his money on a silver platter," but rather "acting like a spoiled child."

Money does not give one license to act like an arse or treat others with such disrespect. Being self-made actually makes it worse, as he should have retained some shred of humility along the way. Obviously, money has made him think that he is above common courtesy.

I know a few self-made millionaires (no, no one famous, just smart investors), and the vast majority of them I've met are hard-working decent people who still put their pants on one leg at a time. Their wealth has not made them think that insulting your host and flinging a glass of water at them was ever an acceptable act.

I stand by my words. Branson is a spoiled billionaire.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by timeless test

Branson created his wealth himself by ingenuity and hard graft,

..and a certain "misunderstanding" with the Revenue & Customs regarding a purchase tax fraud - ingenious for sure...

And the details of that 'purchase tax fraud' .... pardon, what, can't hear you??

If you're a member on ATS and you knew the details of that, and the man himself, you'd be cheering that someone 'stuck it to the man' and made a success of it.

smells like hypocrisy to me.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Their wealth has not made them think that insulting your host and flinging a glass of water at them was ever an acceptable act.

By your own admission none of your mates is in the financial league of Branson. Love him or hate him, he's a genius at creating publicity - what makes you think this wasn't deliberate and/or staged?

Sure, having money is no excuse for being rude, but neither is having your own talk show.

Spoilt billionaire? Sounds like sour grapes

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by RogerT
If you're a member on ATS and you knew the details of that, and the man himself, you'd be cheering that someone 'stuck it to the man' and made a success of it.
smells like hypocrisy to me.

Well, I am undeniably a member of ATS and the details of Mr. Branson's run in with the authorities have been detailed by Tom Bower in his book "Branson", or you can read about them on the University of Surrey website here

University of Surrey

Having discovered how easy it was, he purportedly set out deliberately and systematically to defraud the Customs and Excise. The extent of the fraud is not clear, but in his book "Branson", Tom Bower claims that the van was driven regularly to Dover supposedly carrying as many as 30,000 records at a time

No, I don't know the man himself and don't claim to, but I'm not sure why that, or my membership here, would necessarily mean that I should be delighted that I would end up paying more tax to make up for that fraudulently avoided by others. (Where hypocrisy may come into the equation is anybody's guess).

I guess I'm just old fashioned that way.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 11:32 AM
link   

I guess I'm just old fashioned that way.

Yep, you said it. I'm sure you probably never went through the green channel with an extra packet of fags or bottle of scotch either. Only criminals attempting to defraud the british government would do that, which of course means you end up paying more tax to fund Gordon's Lear Jet trips.

Sour grapes mate.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I like Branson "the character". Always have. Is he "clean"? Who is?

I'm still marvelling at how Virgin and BA and another carrier fixed fuel-surcharges and BA and the other guys got "whacked" but Sir Richard's folks didn't because they conspired with authorities to sell out their co-conspirators. Bizzare!

I wonder what the chances of Colbert and Branson "mixing-it-up" were "semi-staged"? Conspirators of convenience? My people will talk to your people about what "might" happen? Thanks for posting this article, I don't watch much TV but will see about watching on the 22nd! ;up:

Cheers,

Vic

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 11:40 AM
link   

I'm sure you probably never went through the green channel with an extra packet of fags or bottle of scotch either.

Spookily enough you are absolutely right about that, or not knowingly at least.

Sour grapes mate.

Well that comment is about as rational as the hypocrisy one, what makes make you believe I have anything to feel sour about? For all you know I may be a comfortably off millionaire myself.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 11:46 AM
link   

By your own admission none of your mates is in the financial league of Branson.

Still not an excuse, in my book.

Love him or hate him, he's a genius at creating publicity

So was Joseph Goebbels. You don't see me admiring him. Which isn't to imply that Branson is a Nazi. Rather, skill and wealth do not merit my admiration. And, admittedly, I am something of an aberration in that sense. I might wish to learn the skills of someone who is good at what they do. I might someday aspire to achieve a level of wealth.

But where I come from, what makes a Man or Woman, is how one treats others.

- what makes you think this wasn't deliberate and/or staged?

That was my first impression upon reading the first paragraph of the article. However...

from the Daily Mail
"Stephen was drenched. He took a beat, then signalled for his own ammunition for about twenty seconds until Alison (Silverman) ran and gave him her bottle of water, and Stephen retaliated.

"The two of them sat for a very uncomfortable second looking like two wet cats.

"Then Stephen thanked him for coming. I really don't think it was planned, since Stephen had another bit to introduce and a full interview left to do.

Now that doesn't mean it wasn't staged. But I've watched a LOT of Colbert Report. When he stages things, it's usually pretty blatantly obvious. He is a terrible, terrible actor. Colbert makes Dolph Lundgren look like Sir Anthony Hopkins.

Sure, having money is no excuse for being rude, but neither is having your own talk show.

True. However, I believe this specific instance qualifies more as "eye for an eye" on Colbert's part, rather than rudeness. Though I have seen Colbert be very rude before.

Spoilt billionaire? Sounds like sour grapes

On that, you are oh so very wrong.

I dread fame and crave obscurity.

As for money? I make more than enough to provide for my family, anything more is just investment for my family's future. I've got a beautiful wife whom is about to gift me with a healthy baby boy, a fantastic house, in a great neighborhood, with neighbors who don't bother us, and am close distance-wise, and friendship wise, with our friends and family. Life doesn't get better than this for me, no matter how much money is involved.

And yet, somehow, miraculously, I don't go around splashing water in my hosts (or my guests) faces.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Spookily enough you are absolutely right about that, or not knowingly at least.

You wonderful law abiding patriot you
Your government wishes there were more like you.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 11:59 AM
link   

But where I come from, what makes a Man or Woman, is how one treats others.

like jumping to conclusions about the intentions behind an event occuring between two individuals you don't personally know and labelling one of them in negative terms on a public forum

that sure is a warm, generous, open hearted way to treat a fellow human!

I read the reports too, and like you say, it doesn't mean it wasn't staged, or 'performed' for publicity.

It's the arrogance of assuming you know, and then defending your ugly uncharitable assertions with some holier than thou rhetoric about your wonderful life and how full of light you are.

Come on man, own up to the shadow that lurks just below your shiny facade

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 12:24 PM
link   

It's the arrogance of assuming you know, and then defending your ugly uncharitable assertions with some holier than thou rhetoric about your wonderful life and how full of light you are.

Come on man, own up to the shadow that lurks just below your shiny facade

Is this how you usually roll? You go turning this around on other people? Are you now going to prove your point by insulting me?

I strongly suggest you find a better attitude within yourself while on ATS, or you will very shortly find yourself unwelcome here. We do not insult our fellow members at ATS, even Moderators.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Is this how you usually roll? You go turning this around on other people? Are you now going to prove your point by insulting me?

I strongly suggest you find a better attitude within yourself while on ATS, or you will very shortly find yourself unwelcome here. We do not insult our fellow members at ATS, even Moderators.

I'm not sure if I have a particular modus of rolling, but I'll point out hypocrisy when I see it if I feel inclined. If you want to come down on me with Mod threats then that's your choice, but it does kind of illustrate my point.

Look Libra, it isn't very nice to be insulted publicly is it?

It would appear that you began this thread by singling out an individual to deliberately insult. Is Branson fair game because he's a billionaire and you're untouchable because you're a mod?

I was led to believe that the mods were simply members whilst engaged in debate, but if I overstepped the T&C of ATS, then I humbly apologize and deserve a reprimand of the Mod type.

Actually, I wasn't insulting you, I was attempting to get you to look in the mirror, but clearly failed.

By the way, congrats on the upcoming addition to your family. I just had a baby boy too. I wish you and your lady a blessed and wondrous birthing experience

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 02:10 PM
link   

I'm not sure if I have a particular modus of rolling, but I'll point out hypocrisy when I see it if I feel inclined.

And I feel the need to point out ignorance when I see it. Your choice of "hypocrisy" to describe my post is nothing more than an ad hominem attack. Had I a history of going around insulting my hosts, and then condemned Branson for it, then I would indeed be a hypocrite.

However, this is not what I did. I called him spoiled for throwing water upon his host. That is neither hypocrisy, nor is it anything I need apologize for.

If you want to come down on me with Mod threats then that's your choice, but it does kind of illustrate my point.

No, in point of fact, it doesn't. You are making unwarranted ad hominem attacks and insults against me. I never insulted you, I never brought it to a personal level against you. You, however, have done this against me.

I have no problem debating the subject of whether or not Branson acts like a spoiled child. But when you decide to take that debate to a personal level against me, then, like it or not, you are not only in the wrong, you are completely missing the point of ATS, and breaking the TAC.

Look Libra, it isn't very nice to be insulted publicly is it?

No. That's why it's in the TAC.

It would appear that you began this thread by singling out an individual to deliberately insult. Is Branson fair game because he's a billionaire and you're untouchable because you're a mod?

No. Branson is fair game because he acted the part of an arse on national TV, and insulted his host.

My calling him out on this does not give you the right to turn around and insult me. And for the record, EVERY member of ATS is untouchble in terms of personal attack, not just mods. If anything, mods are a hell of a lot more tolerant of it, because we are insulted on a daily basis by people much like yourself whom we do not immediately warn or post-ban because we try to give them a chance to mend their ways.

Our patience, however, is only human. I suggest you learn this very quickly.

I was led to believe that the mods were simply members whilst engaged in debate, but if I overstepped the T&C of ATS, then I humbly apologize and deserve a reprimand of the Mod type.

See the above. I am indeed "just a member" while debating a subject. That does NOT, however, give you the right to bring a personal attack against me or any other member while you are a guest at ATS.

Actually, I wasn't insulting you, I was attempting to get you to look in the mirror, but clearly failed.

Roger, let me put this as delicately as possible. You have zero right to make any personal judgment about anyone here on a personal level unless you know that person on a personal level, and even then, you keep it to yourself. Not just in regards to mods, but all members on ATS.

Debate on ATS is fine, encouraged, and opposing views on any subject are the meat and bread of our mission to deny ignorance. But debate taken to a personal level of attack is simply not tolerated. I would not dream of invoking mod powers because I disagreed with you, but you will quickly find me switching back into job mode if you start insulting anyone here, including myself.

By the way, congrats on the upcoming addition to your family. I just had a baby boy too. I wish you and your lady a blessed and wondrous birthing experience

Thank you.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Branson in America, well it is just mad dogs and Englishmen out in the midday sun

I like Branson, he has made a fortune and has given back a fair bit to this country.

[edit on 14/8/07 by Wolfie_UK]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join