It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why It's Hard to Admit to Being Wrong

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I suprised that so many people are like that....heck I can't even prove to myself that any of "this" is even real....I would glady change any view when something better comes along, i have no real morals though so it's easy on my mind to change views.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I'm going to print this out and hand this to my parents ask them what they think of it, Being of two different faiths. This should make the holiday such as Christmas more interesting.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Storm Dancer, truth is, we are living in a world where everyone wants to be right. Every group, religion, political group, nation, et cetera, screams at the top of their lungs that they are right. However, I have come to the stark conclusions that no one is right. People can't see the forest for the trees.

I hear ya Speaker, and now days with so much clutter, will we know the truth when we seen it?

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by EBE 17

Originally posted by andy1033
What the thought police are out again, is it not our own business how we think.

[edit on 8/14/2007 by andy1033]

I seem to be having that thought alot lately...

Would someone clue me into what this has to do with thought police?

I don't know what thought police means.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kruel
Interesting finds...

The difficulty of admitting to being wrong certainly points to an instinctive protective mechanism.

Humanity is still growing up. We're all basically animals, but we're slowly breaking out of our instinctual habits due to our ability to be rational. Often times it's a fight within, a battle between instincts and logic. The ability to control one's emotions is the key to defeating the ego.

Krule you have great points, speaking of rational,

In some ways I think we are going backwards.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

I hear ya Speaker, and now days with so much clutter, will we know the truth when we seen it?

Storm, probably not. We have a tendency of viewing the truth as false, and falsity as truth.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Storm, probably not. We have a tendency of viewing the truth as false, and falsity as truth.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth

HI Speaker, yes but we get a glimpse every once and a while.

And did you ever notice how in those glimpses we question, always questioning?

[edit on 24-8-2007 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 02:51 PM
link   
What I want to know is why the very people who say they have no problem admitting when they're wrong, are incapable of ever admitting it even when the facts prove it.

I mean, some things aren't even open for debate you know? Sometimes a person is just flat out wrong and the facts prove they are, period. So what's the point of denying it like an annoying little brat?

Well, we all have egos, it's just human nature to not like being wrong about things sometimes. But I just can't stand the type who say "I have no problem admitting I'm wrong if I'm proven to be" and then they're proven to be, but won't admit it! Grrrrrrrr!!!! hahahaha

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 04:24 PM
link   

What I want to know is why the very people who say they have no problem admitting when they're wrong, are incapable of ever admitting it even when the facts prove it.

I am not sure, it could be many factors.

There is propaganda which is very convincing and if you hate a race, or religion, or politician enough, you want to believe the lies that are told.

Have you ever know a compulsive liar?

They actually start to believe what they are saying.

"If you tell any lie long enough, often enough and loud enough people will come to believe it".

Hitler

So with this in mind I think it is hard for people to believe the things they have read and been told, from what they believe are reliable sources, could possibly be false.

Then there is the control drama.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Say for instance though that someone says Bush is the 43rd President of the U.S. and someone else comes along and says heck no he isn't. And then several people show links and proof that yes Bush is the 43rd Pres. but the troll refuses to admit that he was wrong even though it was proven that he is. And then later on the troll says he has no problem admitting he's wrong if he's proven to be.

That's maybe not the best example but that's basically the kind of thing I was talking about. What is it with people like that, is it just ego? Stupidity?

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I understand what you are getting at.

Even though a person wont admit to being wrong, doesn't mean they may not be questioning the fact they may be wrong.

Maybe they don't want to give you the satisfaction

Then there is brainwashing.

Have you ever wondered if certain people may have an agenda?

Trust, there's a word,

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I thought maybe this would help in understanding the dramas we humans play,

After all isn't a forum, or news just a big rumor mill, with some facts, lol

Listening to Rumors

sciencenow.sciencemag.org...

Anthropologist Kevin Kniffin of the University of Wisconsin, Madison, cautions that cooperation is more complicated in the real world. "It is important to recognize the presence of power differences," he says. "Since some people's opinions are more important than others', some people's opinions carry more consequences than others'." Sommerfeld acknowledges that real-life situations include other factors. Sometimes, he says, there is more than one source of gossip, and often people know whether their sources are trustworthy. Also, outside of a game, gossiping is risky: The rumors people spread can damage their reputations.

Gossip more powerful than truth, researchers say
www.reuters.com...

Gossip is more powerful than truth, a study showed on Monday, suggesting people believe what they hear through the grapevine even if they have evidence to the contrary.

In other words people believe what they want to believe.

Facts Prove No Match for Gossip, It Seems
www.nytimes.com...

[edit on 023131p://bThursday2007 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
i dont have a problem admitting im wrong, ive had to admit it numerous in the last 2 days alone, i dont know what the big deal is.

probably an ego thing i would assume, especially when fact is staring you in the face.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join