It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Flossie Heads for Hawaii

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Hurricane Flossie Heads for Hawaii

www.forbes.com

HONOLULU - Public schools closed and Hawaiians were warned to stock up on food and water as Hurricane Flossie roared toward the state early Tuesday. As if the storm wasn't enough, an 5.3 magnitude earthquake jolted the Big Island of Hawaii overnight.

The eye of the Category 3 storm, with maximum sustained wind down slightly at 110 mph, was expected to pass less than 100 miles from the islands, lashing the shores with strong wind and up to 15 inches of rain, meteorologists said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.upi.com
www.weather.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Magnitude 5.3 earthquake jolts Hawaii

Mod Edit: Removed copy/paste over the 500 character limit.

[edit on 14-8-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 08:32 AM
link   
IMG:Weather.com

According to the Weather.com info this is a category 3 storm and should impact the area Tuesday afternoon through Wednesday.

Initial tracking estimates take the storm just south of the islands but a small shift could bring it on a closer track.

There was an earthquake in Hawaii and is discussed in the linked thread.

Let's hope the storm decreases in size and speed and spares the islands.

www.forbes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Latest from one of the news channels is that the hurricane was downgraded to a CAT 2, and is still expected to pass 70 miles south of the main island.

That's good news, not out of the woods yet though with expected heavy surf and rain still to come.

Here is a link to the Weather.com tracker for Hurricane Flossie for those interested..

Hurricane Flossie

[edit on 2007/8/14 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 09:50 AM
link   
The latest report is that the hurricane is not a result of terrorist activity. With all the paranoia lately, I would not be suprised to hear this from one of the main news sources.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 09:56 AM
link   
i hope they also considered that flossie could gain new strength again because it's still time until he makes land-fall. of course i don't hope that this ia going to happen, but by now i've only heard the media reporting that the storm was actually down-graded to a category 3 hurricane even though it is still above the ocean. remember how fast kathrina gained strength before hitting the mainland and which terrible consequences that had...

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Here's the AP story downgrading the storm to CAT 2 :

Hurricane Flossie downgraded to Category 2 as it heads for Hawaii

HONOLULU - Hurricane Flossie was downgraded to a Category 2 hurricane Tuesday, but stayed on course to brush the Big Island.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 12:00 PM
link   
meanwhile the tropical depression dean has been officially upgraded to a tropical storm! another one we should better have a look at...

Weather

Flossie nears Hawaii; TS Dean develops
8/14/07 12:07 p.m. ET

AccuWeather

[edit on 14-8-2007 by EBE154]

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   
good post if you want updated forecasts from PRO mets there is a great weather board called storm2k.org

you would go to the site click on forums then tropical analysis and then go to the latest flossie forecast either by derek ort or donald southerland (they are the best)

p.s Tropical storm Erin is about to get named and surprise some people in texas as well

[edit on 14-8-2007 by cpdaman]

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Thanks for the info cpdaman, I plan to check it out.

As of 1945 EST/ 7:45PM EST:

I have seen a couple of reports on the weather channel where the islanders' are grateful that the storm was downgraded and one particular Hawaiian was discussing how beautiful the waves would be at the site the Weather channel reporter was stationed.

They were discussing 20 foot waves on top of the swells and didn't seem to be too worried about the impending brush with Flossie.

From my check at TWC, while the storm was downgraded to CAT 2 earlier today, it has maintained that strength throughout the day, with a fairly constant 10-15mph movement of the storm mass.

It is still a substantial storm and heavy rains and surf are expected.

My best wishes to those in the path of the storm.

Once again if you are interested in seeing the track of this hurricane check out this LINK

top topics

join