It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SNP outline Scottish independence plan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Scotland's SNP government has set out its plans for a referendum on independence, despite opposition from other main political parties.

Launching a "national conversation", First Minister Alex Salmond said "no change was no longer an option".

The SNP leader said the white paper set out the "full range of options" which would be debated.

Labour, Tories and Lib Dems, who hold a majority in the Scottish Parliament, have united to oppose independence.

In a broad, 40-page document, Mr Salmond set out the case for a ballot on independence, while saying he was "open-minded" on alternative opinions.

For your reference, the SNP's white paper can be found here.

As much as I think he's a great politician (there aren't many people who can get people to ignore facts, reason and history in favour of emotions and nationalism) I loathe his politics.

All this does is throw up more questions.

Aren't there more pressing issues to deal with? Why hasn't there been a number of full studies exploring Scottish independence and its implications (using scientific methods)? Why the rush? Why is no change "no longer an option"? That's not very democratic.

Essentially, Salmond's idea is a card trick under the guise of a debate. Whichever option you pick, it's the one he wants you to choose. All ultimately lead down the same path. Why not give people the chance to keep the current devolution settlement? Or reduce devolution? Or even abolish it altogether if that's what they want.

This man is trying to swindle Scotland into accepting his views, and I find that very, very concerning. The SNP no longer have any right to complain about others being 'undemocratic' or 'spinning'.

[edit on 14/8/07 by Ste2652]

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I'm all for a vote if that is what the people really want.

But I think it'll be pointless, divisive and a crass waste of time and effort but if a vote is needed to put this issue to bed for another couple of decades then so be it.

(when it comes down to it I think the SNP will lose and lose heavily)

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 11:09 AM
link   
What makes you say that, Sminkey?

I agree that it's a waste of time, effort and money. But hey, it's not like the referendum money and the parliamentary time could have been spent on schools/hospitals/the environment or something everyone agrees on, right?

new topics

join