It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here's your sign

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 02:05 AM
link   

I was driving along the other day when I passed this church and I couldn't help but slow to read the bulletin sign out front, which made me do a big double take... I honestly couldn't believe what I was reading. I couldn't help but think to myself WOW. Definately this type of thing is why I feel most people these days feel so alienated and are taken back by Christianity. I realize that there are many different groups that fall under the umbrella of Christianity, and some are certainly more extreme and "out there" than others. But how does a sign like this make you as a Christian feel, knowing that this is the message that some churches are choosing to preach?

Not trying to pick on anyone at all, I respect any persons right to worship and believe as they choose, I just saw this sign and thought I would share it. There are people here on ATS who can comment intelligently from either side of the coin and I am interested in knowing how people react to this sign. And if you are a Christian who would actually agree with what the message says, please share your views on the topic as well.

[edit on 8/14/07 by BlackOps719]

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 02:15 AM
link   
wow, I've seen some pretty funny ones in my area
but that one take the cake.

I'd love to step in to talk to them about it.

Yet I guess they have a right to put it up, but at the same time
if I were to have a sign in my yard saying something wrong against
lets say "organized religion is destroying humanity" I think
others would want me to take it down and if i didn't I'm sure the "men in blue" would come knocking.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 06:02 AM
link   
ignorance! sheer hateful, bigoted ignorance.
and the christians are the ones here that are claiming to be oppressed... when was the last time a science museum had a sign that said "christians are stupid"?

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Im a Christian and to be honest I find that statement pretty pathetic. Surely some back water hard core evangelistic minority believe that letting you're mind think freely is somehow a gateway to being controlled by SATAN.... In some respects it may not be far from the truth in thier eyes but the way it's stated is rediculous and makes whoever it is that put it up, look like an idiot.

Thanks for the bad rep IDIOT

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 06:24 AM
link   
I guliani supporter no doubt

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 06:29 AM
link   
LOL! I am with you madness. This sign should almost be criminal. I wonder what the ramifications would be if a university put a big sign out front:

"Belief in Jesus is Enslavement to Ignorance."

I bet all the drooling fools from local churches would call it "Hate speech." and force its removal. Which is quite an ironic statement from the people who would call other religions evil, false, and the work of that devil/snake/goat/5-pointed-star thing they fear so much.

This all reminds me of the day I got called down to the deacon's office for questioning the whole message of Genesis in CCD:

"The story says that the pursuit of knowledge is the reason for original sin and that man's innate desire for knowledge is his downfall", I argued.

"Exactly, God answers all of our questions if we would only ask humbly. It is through him that all knowledge is-", the Deacon attempts to parry.

"Yeah, OK, but what if the scientific method was the system by which God revealed knowledge to men that are deserving of it", I tried to make my case.

"No, we ask through prayer", the Deacon replied visible upset by this line of questioning.

"Huh? Where does god say that the only way to ask him for knowledge is through prayer?", I countered.

"Look, just finish CCD this year and you can get confirmed. If you have these kind of questions you are going to have to ask God for the answers and forgiveness", he replied trying to threatened me with old you'll be damned if you don't do as we say routine.

I called my mother and asked her to pick me up from CCD. I was done. That was pretty much the last time I set foot in a church, or as I refer to them, Temples of Ignorance.

Jon

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Sometimes the term "free thinker" is used to mean "atheist" but "free thinker" has broader connotations, so it's a funny gaff. They probably couldn't bear to use the "a" word on their marquis and thought this was a suitable substitution. Bad call.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Why is there small print in the lower right corner of the picture?
Did you use something like this to make that sign, or did you find that online somewhere?

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5
Why is there small print in the lower right corner of the picture?
Did you use something like this to make that sign, or did you find that online somewhere?

Spot on - this sign was posted on Church Sign Generator August '05. You can find it about half-way down

www.churchsigngenerator.com... er

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lady of the Lake

Spot on - this sign was posted on Church Sign Generator August '05. You can find it about half-way down

Good find. I guess that refutes the OP claim that:

I was driving along the other day when I passed this church and I couldn't help but slow to read the bulletin sign out front...

The bad news for Christians (well at least Baptists) is that it is still a real sign! I wonder what the person or committee in charge of coming up with the inspirational messages for their congregation was thinking.

Jon

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Should I say that the OP got his hand caught in the cookie jar or merely call him a liar.

I would hate to be so judgmental. On the other hand, facts are facts.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
ignorance! sheer hateful, bigoted ignorance.
and the christians are the ones here that are claiming to be oppressed... when was the last time a science museum had a sign that said "christians are stupid"?

Unreal!! Scary too. What kind of morons would put that up?? Goes to show you just how dangerous and stupid many of these 'christian' churches really are. Book burning anyone??

J.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 08:15 AM
link   
if a christian came up and said to me the things on that bulletin sign i would reply -- "oh, no i am not the devils servant, we are business partners. would you like to have everything you ve dreamed of for the low, low cost of your soul?"

oh yea its wrong what they wrote, but think about it, they are afraid of us, we are the true masters of ourselves not some god, people often take drastic measures when they are afraid and certain of defeat.

[edit on 14-8-2007 by tankthinker]

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Look, just finish CCD this year and you can get confirmed. If you have these kind of questions you are going to have to ask God for the answers and forgiveness", he replied trying to threatened me with old you'll be damned if you don't do as we say routine.

I called my mother and asked her to pick me up from CCD. I was done. That was pretty much the last time I set foot in a church, or as I refer to them, Temples of Ignorance.

Jon

Heh - wow. Reminds me of a conversation I overhead once with a pator and one of his sheep...errm...flock. Man 'Pastor - if God made the earth only 10 thousand years ago, where do these dinosaur bones they keep finding come from?' asked the distressed congregant. Pastor 'Why son, the Devil put them there to confuse us!!'. Heheh...jeez, what a crock of you-know-what! Poor guy - that information didn't exactly reafirm his beliefs I would imagine...

J.

[edit on 14-8-2007 by jimbo999]

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 08:27 AM
link   
ok, so y'all busted him.

thread closed.

move along.

new topics

top topics

join