It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Water in rocks? Past life? Why not send camers for CURRENT life?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 01:51 AM
link   
What if other species dont need water whats the point of looking for it? What if water is poisonous to other species we dont know and I really dont care if mars had life billions of years ago, do you? I want to see current life, and not just a little freakin microbe but big things. Why not send cameras isnt it easier than looking for water and all that crap? Send a bunch of cameras so you can cover the planet and see if anything moves, I think thats better than wasting time looking through rocks for water or taking pictures from really far away to see lakes or anything. I want to see things moving!!!!

Just my opinion sorry if i offend anyone who really studies around here I'm just curious about what people think about all of this.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Cameras require phenomenal amounts of power. Why do you think most/all the images you see from the Mars rovers are stills? On Earth photovoltaic cells operate with something like 9% efficiency, or you could pay 100 times more and get only 4 times the efficiency (very pricey things), and on Mars there is approx. 1% of the light we get here on earth, so you would have to charge capacitors or batteries up to operate cameras for short bursts of filming. Sustained recording would be out of the question.

Also, transmitting 24 or 12 or even 6 frames per second back to earth is a tedious and power-eating task. Plus, still frames give far better definition. The best handheld camcorders can only record 4 megapixel still images, while smaller, handheld cameras can record up to 42MP.

All up, video imaging is something that is not really all this feasible once you look into it. Of course someone is going to say, 'why don't you just stick a camera on a rover?!' but unfortunately it's not quite as simple as that.

join