It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

U.S. Icebreaker Joins Race to Map Polar Sea Floor

page: 1
0

log in

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 01:16 AM
link   

U.S. Icebreaker Joins Race to Map Polar Sea Floor


www.foxnews.com

Monday, August 13, 2007

SEATTLE — A U.S. Coast Guard icebreaker is headed to the Arctic to map the sea floor off Alaska, as Russia, Denmark and Canada assert their claims in the polar region, which has potential oil and gas reserves.
(visit the link for the full news article)


Related News Links:
news.google.com
news.google.com
news.google.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Canada joins rush to claim the Arctic
Russian subs reach Arctic floor
The Coming Conflict in The Arctic
Canadian PM vows to defend Arctic




posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Ok, quick! Everybody get in yer boats and meet up in the Arctic! Lets all just circle around our favorite spots and wait for somebody to buck up and say, "MINE!"

This is just the first move by the US into the Arctic (that I am aware of) since Russia moved into the North Pole neighborhood.

(Please be sure to visit the Related Threads - they contain the ongoing sub-discussions and dialog.)

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)


CX

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by damajikninja


Ok, quick! Everybody get in yer boats and meet up in the Arctic! Lets all just circle around our favorite spots and wait for somebody to buck up and say, "MINE!"

This is just the first move by the US into the Arctic (that I am aware of) since Russia moved into the North Pole neighborhood.


The more i hear about this story, the more i feel embarrassed to be part of the human race.

I'm not exactly the tree-hugging sort, but this whole North Pole/oil subject bothers me immensly. Maybe it's because it seems such an untouched part of the world, so "left alone" up to now.

With everyone now converging on the Arctic, it has me wondering what they will do when they all get there, and i'm not talking about mapping seabeds and dropping flags.

Whats the usual plan when it comes to oil gain? Oh yeah, bring weapons along and wreck the place whilst we are doing it.


I find it very hard to believe that some of these countries will let all this go ahead peacefully, i know it's just another part of our world but it just does'nt seem right fighting over somewhere as beautiful as the arctic.

Some call it preservation, others would call it greed, i just find myself feeling more and more sad about the way this world acts sometimes.

CX.



posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by CX
Whats the usual plan when it comes to oil gain? Oh yeah, bring weapons along and wreck the place whilst we are doing it.



If you drive a car, ride in a car, ride in a bus, fly in a plane or utilize electricity harnessed by the burning of fossil fuels, you are part of the problem.

So why the smug emoticon?

Like you are just so much better? You wouldn’t do such things if it was up to you?

They are doing it for you, on your behalf! Be glad for it every time you sit in a car or bus. Its all for you, baby!


CX

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by cavscout
If you drive a car, ride in a car, ride in a bus, fly in a plane or utilize electricity harnessed by the burning of fossil fuels, you are part of the problem.

So why the smug emoticon?

Like you are just so much better? You wouldn’t do such things if it was up to you?

They are doing it for you, on your behalf! Be glad for it every time you sit in a car or bus. Its all for you, baby!


1. Last time i looked the emoticon i used did'nt mean "smug".

2. Am i any better? I'm not claiming to be as far as using electrity and the likes is concerned, but would i do things differently if it were up to me? Definately.

Maybe it would'nt get me very far but i would'nt wreck countries and not give a damn about the occupants in order to get my goal. I am purely basing my comment on what they do every time this issue crops up, and now i have no doubt that in years to come we will see the Arctic as a warzone, wrecked by many countries.

I sometimes look at our world and seriously think we don't deserve it. We screw everything up we touch and thats such a shame.

Sorry you took my post with so much offence cavscout, not everyone on ATS thinks the same and has the same opinions.

Even if i'm the only one who feels like this, thats just me and i'm not going to lose sleep or wake up on the wrong side of bed because of it.

Thank God.

CX.



posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX
Maybe it would'nt get me very far but i would'nt wreck countries and not give a damn about the occupants in order to get my goal.



But you do wreck nations in order to get your goal, because you send "them" to do it on your behalf.

I get so tired of everyone blaming "them".

Here, I responded in a new thread since it isnt just you

www.abovetopsecret.com...



new topics

top topics
 
0

log in

join