It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops, Better or Worse?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I agree completely...

Of course I started the thread with the Cop reference as it is my profession and I feel the problem not only exemplifies itself there, but has potentially more disastrous results...

Due mainly to the violence inherent in the profession and of course the weapons included in that profession.

Semper

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Semper. Your comment on ethics struck a chord with me. How can we, as a society hold police officers to a code of ethics of any sort, when many of those self same members are convinced that ethics mean one thing to you, as a police officer, and another to them?

This has always puzzled me. It strikes me as somewhat hypocritical...

Maybe this is where part of the problem, along with lack of life experiance, lies? These young people are getting a mixed signal.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Training Seagull,

Training...

I used to teach a class on ethics and did so for years...

Those types of classes are sadly missing here and in many other departments...

Semper

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I agree Semper ethics in any branch of law enforcement is key. However, what about those who teach the class? Shouldn't they also behave in an ethical manner? In my institution those who teach ethics could in fact, show by example how NOT to behave. I could cite example after example of how our leadership attempts to circumvent the contract and policy time after time.

Ethics must also come from inside the person. I've found at least in our DOC that many problems stem directly from our leadership. Might that also not be a problem in police forces?

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Absolutely GH,

Any organization is only ever as good as the leaders.

I have always thought that leadership through example is the best way. Learned that in the Marines of course...

Ethics can become a matter of convenience for many. That is a shame as it completely negates any positive effect the person may have on subordinates.

None of us are perfect, but one may be imperfect and still act in an ethical manner. Especially when dealing with department issues..

Semper

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
Most of the "old timers" that are in my generation, that I know, wont even consider carrying the Tazer...

The young cops can't wait to get their first...

Shame

Semper

That is just it, they seem very cowboyish. Shoot first and ask questions later. I had cousin in laws who went into the police force after serving in the military and all they could talk about was arresting people and smashing them on the hoods of cars. I found it quite disturbing.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join