It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebay kicks gun owners in the teeth, again.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I hope this move cost Ebay a lot of money.

www.nraila.org...

The ban is set to begin in mid-August, when eBay will prohibit the listing of “any firearm part that is required for the firing of a gun.” This prohibition will include, according to eBay, “bullet tips, brass casings and shells, barrels, slides, cylinders, magazines, firing pins, trigger assemblies, etc.” In explaining the decision to restrict these items, Matt Halprin, eBay’s Vice President, Trust & Safety, said, “After much consideration, the Trust & Safety policy team – along with our executive leaders at eBay Inc.– have made the decision to further restrict more of these items than federal and state regulations require.” [emphasis added]

Roper

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Thats ridiculous. I just bought a rifled slug barrel for a shotgun of mine and the seller mentioned to me that this would be the last week I'd be able to get anything gun related on eBay. Hell, gun related purchases are the only ones I make on eBay!

Either eBay is letting some relative ideal or personal belief get in the way of business or they are actually losing money we dont know about paying for lawyers to defend them against frivolous "he shot up thw WalMart because of a holster he bought on eBay" type lawsuits.

Maybe eBay brokered a deal with GunsAmerica.com, GunBroker.com, eBang.com or AuctionArms.com and they are making money anyway.

Screw it. Either way eBay wont be getting any more of my business.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Hey Thisguy,

I'm actually torn about this. I absolutely see your point. I need to ask you a question though. When ordering something gun related from ebay, is there any kind of 'background check' for lack of a better term. Can anybody and his brother order these types of items? If so, then I do have a problem with it. I realize we're talking parts here. I didn't miss that part in your post. But if some gangsta wanna be has a gun which needs a part to make it a deadly weapon. If he can order that part and receive it, even though he has a 'questionable' rap sheet, then I have to side with ebay.
I'm looking forward to your feedback.
Nice post.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I don't particularly see the problem here.

eBay is a private auction company, and therefore can decided what they want to sell
and what they don't want to sell, they are not obligated to do so in the first place.

The Constitution gives the right to gun ownership, it does'nt say everyone has to sell
guns and gun accessories.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 02:41 AM
link   
It's just a sign of things to come, it's going to be virtually impossible to own and buy guns without going through a million hoops.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 05:25 AM
link   
i also don't see the problem. it's the choice of any private business to prohibit the sale of any item it wants.

hmm, i wonder how many people that believe in an unrestricted right to bear arms would praise the people that don't sell contraception at pharmacies they work at.... and i wonder how many of them would be in a fervor if i worked at a gun store and refused to sell guns and ammo...

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by lombozo
When ordering something gun related from ebay, is there any kind of 'background check' for lack of a better term. Can anybody and his brother order these types of items? ... I realize we're talking parts here. I didn't miss that part in your post.

Items such as barrels, sights, stocks and other add-ons dont require background checks. They are each useless without the body of the fiream itself. The receivers and other working parts. Those do require background checks and in the cases of the gun auction sites I mentioned earlier they must be shipped to a licensed dealer to complete the transaction.

If eBay did host auctions for such working parts I did not know. I like to inspect and check such components in person so I wouldnt purchase them in such a way.

The reality of gang-bangers and thugs and other criminals altering a non-functioning firearm into a functioning one though isnt very likely purchasing what was allowed to be hosted on eBay. If the weapon finctions with the exception of a barrel that barrel can be purchased anywhere. It can even be fabricated from steel pipe from the Home Depot. One of the easiest way to discredit ballistic fingerprinting is to simply swap a barrel. It takes 30 seconds and usually no tools to accomplish.

Anyway, if eBay was hosting auctions for lower receivers and the like without requiring the items to be transfered to a FFL to complete the transaction than they were clearly in the wrong. I, personally, do not have any evidence that they were or were not doing this.

As a side note the thugs and gangsters can manufacture weapons from pipes, nails, elastics, compressed air, black powder and all sorts of things if their desire to kill warrants the effort. But as in the case of thwarting ballistic fingerprinting thankfully thugs and criminals are not too bright.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Hey thisguyright here. Nice post. Alot of good points.
I was just curious about the ebay thing. I've used ebay ALOT, but never for any type of weapons.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
I don't particularly see the problem here.

eBay is a private auction company, and therefore can decided what they want to sell
and what they don't want to sell, they are not obligated to do so in the first place.

The Constitution gives the right to gun ownership, it does'nt say everyone has to sell
guns and gun accessories.

Ebay is a public traded company.

www.investors.com...

This is where I get ticked off a public companies. Now I have no problem with a mom & pop store saying no to firearms on the property but Ebay doesn't have anything in it's possession.

Ebay is telling good America citizen that they can't make a living!

I have a problem with that!!! You should too!

Roper

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Just goes to show you what I know!!!!

I had no idea you could buy anything Gun related on EBAY... HUH...

Anyway, my point is this....

EBAY has the right to choose to sell or not sell anything...

We as consumers also have rights...

The absolute right to choose to not go to EBAY if this decision of theirs upsets us enough...

Tit 4 Tat

Semper

top topics

join