It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is your Red my Green?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I always wondered that.

How do you know that my Red isnt your Green?
Its possible you think it's red but it's really green and you dont know it because you were told it was red when you were growing up.

I think people see different colors. How would anybody know, they cant look through your eye's.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Couldn't you tell by a color wheel and mixing Colors?

For instance if we mixed what we call red and yellow we would get orange...

If your character mixed what he thought was red (green) with yellow he wouldn't get orange.

So there would be no question that these two people were out of sync.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Not necesarily, the color you would see after it was mixed would just be another color you thought was yellow but was really orange to me.

It could be a total mix-up from the very beginning and we would never know.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 11:02 PM
link   
lol OK, but it seems quite impossible that it would get past the mix test.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
lol OK, but it seems quite impossible that it would get past the mix test.

Not at all. I get exactly what Earth2 is saying. I've wondered this same thing before. Theres no way that anyone would know. It is very hard to explain, but honestly, I know what you mean Earth2. Like I said, I've wondered this same thing before, but after some thought, I doubt it. Because if all colors were different from each others, then why not black and white? And if there different, darkness wouldnt make sense if it wasnt black.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Well it is possible some people see in negative colors that would explain the black and white thing.

They may see negative colors and not even know.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 03:09 PM
link   
With education and optometrics the way they are these days, a person who sees red as green would be picked out and sent to an eye doctor at some point, no doubt. A kid couldn't get far in school unnoticed if he consistently used the red crayon when told to use green. It would be noticed and treated, or at least studied.

Our eyes all work the same, with some degrees of difference having to do with color blindness. We see the same colors as the same, within those parameters.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 06:45 PM
link   
You kinda missed what I was saying malfunction, if the kid has seen the color red since day one as far as he know's its green. Because thats what he was taught. Right?

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I didn't miss what you were saying, but I am saying that I doubt very much that our eyes and the way they see color vary from person to person, except in the case of color blindness.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 07:27 PM
link   
What colour is (1) this and what colour is (2) this?

Now you answer

(1) is

and

(2) is

This little exercise should tell us whether your green is my red.

Edn

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Koka that wouldn't work. Red and Green would still be red and green, i would still answer correctly that doesn't mean that im seeing the same colours as you.

lets say you look at the grass, everyone agrees the grass is green however if you were able to look through my eyes the green I see (which to me is still green) to you might be pink. Similarly if I was to look though your eyes the colour i might see would be the colour I associate with pink which to you is green.

the names of colours are just words associated to a particular colour that you see though your eyes just because everyone calls green green doesnt mean we actually all see the same colour, though its very likely.

--

1 is red 2 is green.

Now you look though my eyes, 1 is the colour you associate to brown 2 is the colour you associate to pink, but there still red and green to me.

[edit on 18-8-2007 by Edn]

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 07:42 PM
link   
You are correct.....doh...!!

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Finally, I was starting to think I was crazy.

Thank you for the couple of posters who see where im coming from.

Its just something I have thought about for a long time and needed to know.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Edn
Koka that wouldn't work. Red and Green would still be red and green, i would still answer correctly that doesn't mean that im seeing the same colours as you.

lets say you look at the grass, everyone agrees the grass is green however if you were able to look through my eyes the green I see (which to me is still green) to you might be pink. Similarly if I was to look though your eyes the colour i might see would be the colour I associate with pink which to you is green.

the names of colours are just words associated to a particular colour that you see though your eyes just because everyone calls green green doesnt mean we actually all see the same colour, though its very likely.

--

1 is red 2 is green.

Now you look though my eyes, 1 is the colour you associate to brown 2 is the colour you associate to pink, but there still red and green to me.

Finally someone else that is on the same track as Earth2 and I.

I have thought about it before, and I understand the whole concept, but I dont think its true. I think we all see the same color for the most part.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 10:28 AM
link   
This theory was popular in my old high school - and when explained fully its perfectly believable.

We never found any proof that it wasnt true anyway

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by earth2
I always wondered that.

How do you know that my Red isnt your Green?
Its possible you think it's red but it's really green and you dont know it because you were told it was red when you were growing up.

I think people see different colors. How would anybody know, they cant look through your eye's.

I think you're the only other person I know of who has asked this question. I've brought this up with people so many times in my life, and they always just look at me with this blank "deer in headlights" stare. But yeah, I always wondered that as well...

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Weird, I've thought of this many times as well and almost everyone that I've tried to explain it to didn't get it.

I've never thought of any way to 'test' it and it's very difficult to explain clearly.

White and black are not colors, they're 'shades' right? MY red could be YOUR blue and vice versa but MY red can't be YOUR black/white/gray, though my black could be your white and your black my white, but we'd still have the same gray(grey?), right?

If everyone has the same gray is it possible to mix red with gray and, if we could switch eyes, still see a different color/shade of a color?

Could I be on to something or am I just confusing myself more?

[edit on 27-8-2007 by JelloFaust]

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Ok i get what is being asked here but i also think that unless one is colour blind and green and red are easily mixed up, a room filled with 100 People say red is red and green is green then i think we are on the same page. I don't think, unless a child is incorrectly taught, that colours could be mixed up like that. However, again it begs the question as to whether we are all mistaken!

Perhaps red isn't red at all but blue and we are all wrong and blues is actually lilac etc etc. However, someone in the very far past decided that this is what the colours would be called. We may all be wrong.

Edn

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by shearder
Perhaps red isn't red at all but blue and we are all wrong and blues is actually lilac etc etc. However, someone in the very far past decided that this is what the colours would be called. We may all be wrong.
Your mixing it up again. Blue is blue, no one is getting it wrong since blue isn't actually a colour its just a word, its a word associated with what we are told it looks like.

In school or with our parents we are told the sky is the colour blue, in fact they sky is what ever colour we see it as but to describe its colour we say it is blue the word we associate with the colour of the sky.

If you were to get 100 people and were able to look through there eyes the sky may look a slightly different colour though there eyes, in one person it may look like the colour you associate with green, through another's eyes it may look like the colour you associate with brown however it is still blue, to the person who sees it as your brown to them is blue, and they wouldn't be wrong since that is what they have been taught to associate the colour (word) blue to the colour of the sky.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Edn
If you were to get 100 people and were able to look through there eyes the sky may look a slightly different colour though there eyes, in one person it may look like the colour you associate with green, through another's eyes it may look like the colour you associate with brown however it is still blue, to the person who sees it as your brown to them is blue, and they wouldn't be wrong since that is what they have been taught to associate the colour (word) blue to the colour of the sky.

I am with you on that. Great post!! And i see you spell "colour" the right way hehehehe...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join