It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question to all Christians

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 09:57 PM
link   
(I'm Christian, let me state that right now)

So last Sunday I as in church and for once I didn't fall asleep due to no air conditioner and heat. What I heared got me thinking. It was from psalm 94:

4 For a thousand years in your sight
are like a day that has just gone by,
or like a watch in the night.

This made me want to due the math, towards which I was shocked to find something:

1 year = 365 days (give or take 1/4 off)

10,000 years (the creationist's age of Earth) = 3,650,000

if 1 day equals 1,000 years, then:

3,650,000 days = 3,650,000,000 years.

This is only off 1 billion years for the total age of the Earth!
Knowing that my Math is probably off by a bit, and that the 10,000 may be off a bit by 1,000 years, we can see how this would equal to around Earth's real Age. Am I wrong or somehting?
I know it's only one phrase in the bible.

But where in the Bible does it definitly state the age of the Earth. Don't go to the bible tree, because suposibly people lived for thousands of years. That right off the bat means the Earth is older then 10,000 years.

So, just my 2 cents. Any feedback?

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
(I'm Christian, let me state that right now)

So last Sunday I as in church and for once I didn't fall asleep due to no air conditioner and heat. What I heared got me thinking. It was from psalm 94:

4 For a thousand years in your sight
are like a day that has just gone by,
or like a watch in the night.

This made me want to due the math, towards which I was shocked to find something:

1 year = 365 days (give or take 1/4 off)

10,000 years (the creationist's age of Earth) = 3,650,000

if 1 day equals 1,000 years, then:

3,650,000 days = 3,650,000,000 years.

This is only off 1 billion years for the total age of the Earth!
Knowing that my Math is probably off by a bit, and that the 10,000 may be off a bit by 1,000 years, we can see how this would equal to around Earth's real Age. Am I wrong or somehting?
I know it's only one phrase in the bible.

But where in the Bible does it definitly state the age of the Earth. Don't go to the bible tree, because suposibly people lived for thousands of years. That right off the bat means the Earth is older then 10,000 years.

So, just my 2 cents. Any feedback?

Que Styx, "Too much time on my hands..."

:-)

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimjamjerry

Que Styx, "Too much time on my hands..."

:-)

You have no Idea

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 11:04 PM
link   
As far as your age calculation, I've heard that theory before. Not that's it's a bad thought-it's just not new. Check out many, many "Intelligent Design" sites to find the same.

It is interesting, however, that it does sort of jibe with the approximate prevailing scientific estimate of the Earth's age.

If you look into this stuff further you can find some spooky parallels with Genesis and modern scientific thought.

A few quick examples:
God made man from clay/dust right? (I am not giving cites for this-except it's on the first damn page of the Bible! Look it up for yourself)
Some theorists now belive that the process neccessary for the combination/polymerization of the essential building-blocks of DNA (e.g. amino acids) could not have happened in liquids as originally thought-it's too unstable. A growing number of scientists are now entertaining the thought that clay would be a far more suitable medium for such processes. Weird huh?

The separation of the Firmaments: A body of thought is that the primitive Earth's atmosphere contained almost no free oxgen. It was locked up in carbon monoxide and dioxide and other compounds. This atmosphere would have been a thick, soupy mess-much like a floating ocean. There wouldn't have been much practical difference between the two oceans (at least for supporting life) Then various chemical/electrical reactions released the oxygen and other compounds. A large porion of these would then be taken into the ocean and soil, thus separating the two firmaments.

I'm no Creationist, not even a Christian, so don't go thinking I'm selling that whole bag of beans. Just to lend the OP support in the idea that some of that stuff does seem to be eerily compatibel with current research.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I think the Bible is God telling the mistakes of a past great civilization (atlantis?) and he doesn't want us making the same mistakes

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 10:50 AM
link   
God bless you, but you have not posted proof of anything. If you wanted an idea of what was said in the passage couldn't you look at Relativity Theory instead? Of the way time travels differently according to the speed of one object reltive to another? It seems much more likely to my simple mind. God is giving us the Theory of Relativity 2000 years before Einstein...

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 11:01 AM
link   
i think you missed his point, heron...

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Did you know that every mammal's heart, from the elephant to the elephant shrew, beats the same number of times on average during it's lifetime? I have always assumed that the perception of time is linked to this. The faster the heart rate the slower time seems to pass. Try catching a mouse with your hands, it seems as though we are huge lumbering brontosaurian creatures in comparison.

Other than that, Google rods and clocks.

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 11:06 AM
link   
fascinating stuff, karilla. i wasn't aware of that.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karilla
Did you know that every mammal's heart, from the elephant to the elephant shrew, beats the same number of times on average during it's lifetime? I have always assumed that the perception of time is linked to this. The faster the heart rate the slower time seems to pass.

Sure. Everything work like that. Take gravity for example. What can jump higher (proportionally): a grasshopper or an elephant? Is it easier for a 300lb man to do chin-ups or a 150lb man?

How about time? According to ol' Al it's just a matter of how fast you're travelling in relation to the speed of light.

Everything changes with your relative position or state of being.

Then again those Quanto-philles will probably have something to say about that.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 05:34 PM
link   
You need to go back to the Hebrew word "yom" which is what was used in Genesis. It can mean either a literal 24 hour period or an age. Here are two examples,

1: Moses was one of the greatest men of his day.

2: The day is Aug 29, 2007.

The same is used in our language "day" 24 hour period or an age. However, in its context found in Genesis it seems to mean a literal day. God created the..... "morning and evening the first "yom" (day)"

new topics

top topics

join