It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ideas Needed : Alternatives To Gas

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by MBF

Care to share this information? We can't buy you out like the big oil boys, but if it works, and it's cheap, they couldn't block us either.

MBF

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 10:40 PM
link   
The original idea would be pushing technology almost to the limits and some of the materials would need lots of testing. A modified version would be fairly easy, but I would need to make some calculations to be sure(one that I haven't been able to find the formula for).

The reason that I don't want to give out more information is that I am going to work with an engineer that I went to college with(he is civil and I am mechanical) and I want to see what connections that he has. I could make LOTS of money if I could get the right people involved.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Widespread telecommuting and intercontinental magrail. Mixed-used zoning so you can walk to shopping areas.

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Really efficient solar cells to help store energy to a better developed battery system.

Making bio-diesel out of Hemp. This way it doesn't affect food costs (well, there is hemp bread in publix, and other hemp products).

Using the oil from all the fast food restaurants for bio-diesel as well.

Better recapture of expended energy. UPS is using experimental trucks that store compressed air when they brake and use that to boost take off ... so continuously storing and releasing energy.

Using electric vehicles that have motors in the wheels, instead on a driveline. This reduces driveline losses accumulated by the transmission, differential, driveshaft, friction, flywheels, etc. Having a small generator keeps the batteries charged up, but, also regenerative braking.

Perfecting the use of Hydrogen or other gasses as a fuel source, that can burn cleanly ... making the production of the resources more efficient and clean.

bicycles ... shoes ... skates ... just a thought

Absorbing kinetic energy that could be created without effecting the car much ... hydraulic system with a water wheel type device, a thick liquid transfers between cases pushing a wheel to create energy ... gravity/centrifugal force powered ... through turns at speed, uphill/downhill slopes, acceleration and braking.

some are a little out there, but, sometimes thinking outside the normal realm can help others think further and create something useful.

I don't think any one solution is best, but, combining multiple ideas to make one really great package, though it does help if there is independence and redundancy in the system, so one part can fail but overall it is still usable until it gets fixed.

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 09:59 PM
link   
1. Solar panels on every residential house.
2. ELIMINATE incandescent light bulbs to lower energy needs.
3. Stricter insulation standards on new homes, also to lower energy needs
4. Layer of piezoelectric crystals beneath major highways (would convert pressure of passing vehicles into electricity; could also be put into floors of buildings)
5. Harness tidal energy
6. Build all new houses with geothermal heating and cooling
7. Cool larger buildings with blocks of ice
8. Use the flow of sewage to generate hydropower
9. Then burn the methane produced by the sewage.
10. Diesel/Electric and Ethanol/Electric hybrid vehicles
11. Use pyroelectric material to recapture heat lost during engine combustion in those vehicles
12. Make energy star compliance mandatory, to reduce demand
13. Make the One Watt Initiative a mandatory goal
14. Use more nuclear power to generate electricity
15. Then harness the radiation from the "waste" like many deep space probes and satellites do
16. Recent developments in solar panels make them cheaper or as cheap as fuel-burning power generation.
17. Begin disposing of ALL garbage in waste-to-energy plants
18. Build more windfarms
19. Invest more into hydrogen powered vehicles
20. Build more hydropower plants

top topics

<< 1   >>

join