It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia said flying more missions near U.S. territory

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Russia said flying more missions near U.S. territory

www.reuters.com

PETERSON AIR FORCE BASE, Colo. (Reuters) - Russian bombers are flying more missions than normal near U.S. territory, including Alaska, demonstrating their long-range strike capability, U.S. and Canadian officials said on Monday.

Russian aircraft carrying cruise missiles ran an aviation exercise near Alaska two weeks ago, according to Canadian Col. Andre Dupuis, an officer at the North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD), a U.S.-Canadian operation responsible for protecting both...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Removed excessive copy/paste over the 500 character limit.

[edit on 13-8-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 08:04 PM
link   
After all these recent events, what can one say? Is this final confirmation that cold war is starting again? Opinions?

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I mean, just check these threads right here on the ATS:

Russia plans new nuclear missile production

Russia resumes nuke bomber sorties

Russia Claims North Pole in Global Race for Oil

Georgia: Russia dropped bomb on village

I'll dig some more...

Edit to add - from weaponry discussion:

Russia Suspends Arms Agreement Over U.S. Shield

First S-400 Missile pictures

Russian Engineers Admit Using F-117 Wreckage for Tests

If that doesn't show an agenda, I don't know what does...

[edit on 13-8-2007 by Duby78]

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Perhaps its a sign of an improving economy in Russia (more money for defence), and just a natural response to threats real or perceived from the US/NATO.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snappahead
Perhaps its a sign of an improving economy in Russia (more money for defence), and just a natural response to threats real or perceived from the US/NATO.

Absolutely! But you know what that means - even more tension in already tense world situation. One can't actually blame Russians for making steps to reclaim their former position of a superpower. And to think how were these steps ridiculed for years...

And all these news are coming from open sources. There are far more important things that are out of our reach. Makes one wonder...

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Actually, we here in Canada have been well aware of this situation for the whole month now.

Natural resource deposits have recently been suspected at the bottom of the arctic cirle.

Originally the arctic circle was divided up amongst Canada, USA, Russa, and Greenland equally. But Russia has come across photographic evidence that may claim they own more than they have been allotted.

In that respect, Russia made a media stunt and placed a Russian flag at the bottom of the arctic via submarine... what that proves is beyond me, but with this, they have been trying to show ownership with additional military presence in the arctic.

The news article is pretty biased, the Russians only have units in areas that are designated to them... which coincidentally happens to be near Alaska, but then again, so does much of Russia anyhow.

Canada has also been beefing up their presence in their region of the arctic. This was brought on by an increase of US submarines violating our borders without authorization. Hence we are building a large sensor grid and military department up there.

The US seems to be the only country aside from Greenland that doesnt seem to care. They don't seem to want to claim those waters, nor do they want to defend them. This is a resource tactic between Canada and Russia. To be frank, you'd be wise to stay out of it. We can deal with each other peacefully, we don't need outside influence on this matter.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 09:50 PM
link   
The last thing this world needs is a war over the north pole. If Russia wants to claim the rights to the oil and what ever else is up there then we should let them. I mean if somebody wanted it, they should have claimed it already. Sounds like they are being a little pushy, and with all of their military power building up, i think they might be trying to see how far they can push themselves before the U.N steps in and tries to tell them that they can't just claim the oil rights. Then it wont be pretty. I hope Russia has good intentions for oil and military power. I guess you can't blame them, because the U.S. wants to put in a missle defense system right in their backyard.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
We can deal with each other peacefully, we don't need outside influence on this matter.

Yes I am sure...and that end result will be...Canada gets a very small portion and Russia gets most of the Arctic. I can see it now plastered on the New York Times and BBC.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 06:20 AM
link   
A little addition - bomber exercise with live cruise missile launcehs.

MOSCOW, August 14 (RIA Novosti) - Units of the 37th Air Army of the Strategic Command have begun tactical exercises with test launches of cruise missiles over the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans, an Air Force spokesman said Tuesday.

Russia strategic aviation holds exercise over Pacific, Atlantic

I've also heard that US exercise off Guam has turned into 'watch, listen and respond' duty, including ASW duty.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Duby78
I've also heard that US exercise off Guam has turned into 'watch, listen and respond' duty, including ASW duty.

The exercise you refer to is "Valiant Shield" and is held every other year. No - it did not turn into such duty. It ended today and all the ships (including the carrier) are docked here on Guam. Tumon (local hot spot) is crawling with sailors.

It wasn't just a U.S. exercise as it involved Japan, South Korea and Australia as well. Something close to 30 ships and hundreds of aircraft.

During the weekend when the operation was in full tempo, two Russian Bombers approached the group, they were not intercepted as it was international waters. Russia later claimed they flew over the island - which I can guarantee you is 100% false. There were so many fighter aircraft, from both the Air Force and the Navy, in the air over Guam - they were like nats. I am not kidding. Traffic was so heavy - that Andersen had to divert some of the fighters to the local international airport to land.

Edit: Just wanted to add that the Air Force's latest and greatest were present; both the B-2 Bomber and the F-22.

There is a huge military build-up here on Guam and is expected to continue until 2009. The local government estimates it needs 800 million to upgrade infrastructure in preparation. There is also talks of building a highway for the military.

As an important part of the infrastructure the United States is putting in to help Guam accommodate 8,000 Marines and their families, these old plans are being revived. They are going to build a new road across the island.

Carl Peterson, chairman of the Guam Chamber of Commerce Armed Forces Committee, which has lobbied for an increased military presence on Guam, noted that the military has been talking about this "direct" road between the Naval Station and Andersen for many years.

Something is up - just not sure with who.

[edit on 15-8-2007 by crisko]

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 11:31 AM
link   
More news. Putin said that they're re-introducing long range bomber sorties, that have been suspended for about 15 years. Today, 14 Russian bombers took of in order to commence their new-old sorties. And if Putin said it, we can say - it is official now.

Russia is resuming a Soviet-era practice of sending its bomber aircraft on long-range flights, President Vladimir Putin has said.

Mr Putin said the move to resume the flights permanently after a 15-year suspension was in response to security threats posed by other military powers.

He said 14 bombers had taken off from Russian airfields early on Friday.

Russia restarts Cold War patrols

[edit on 17-8-2007 by Duby78]

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Mr Putin said the move to resume the flights permanently after a 15-year suspension was in response to security threats posed by other military powers.

What a bull# this western media produce. He never said this. He said these flights have a "strategic character" - his interview was in Russian and he said exactly this, and there was nothing aggressive in his speech.

British journalists act like rats - they are small, weak but so filthy in everything they write about Russia..

[edit on 17-8-2007 by Leevi]

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by crisko
Edit: Just wanted to add that the Air Force's latest and greatest were present; both the B-2 Bomber and the F-22.

I know that Naval fighters were directed to CAP in preparation for a possible intercept, however the two Russian bombers (Tu-95MS') never penetrated the 200 nm EEZ so no such incident took place. Neither did they get closer than 300 miles to any US warship. Also, I'm curious, in what capacity were you at Guam for? And do you know if the Raptors were from the 1st FW or were these PACAF birds?

General Gene Renuart, Commander of North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) and US Northern Command, the agencies charged with protecting US and Canadian airspace, said that US forces would continue to monitor the activity.

"Over the last few months the Russian air force has been flying a little bit more than we've seen in the past; certainly they're ranging farther than they have in the more recent past," Renuart said in a statement.

"NORAD has intercepted them out over international waters, near Alaska, and the command continues to monitor all of their long range bomber flight activity, even today," he added.

One Russian air force officer, who asked not to be identified, told AFP he expected US interceptors would make their presence felt during the exercises.

"It is a traditional practice for military pilots to see foreign pilots come up to meet them and say to hello," he said. "The United States are aware of our exercise," he added.

Link

No need to make this seem hostile, these type of events were routine during the Cold War. They became less frequent after the USSR collapsed but they still occurred. There are informal procedures that both sides take to ensure such incidents do not lead to hostility, they are more for show than anything else. And it is not a one way street, the US and other western powers routinely monitor Russian exercises and they US continues to fly close to Russians border. The recent Russian exercise in the Arctic was monitored by NATO vessels and fighters.

[edit on 17-8-2007 by WestPoint23]

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 03:36 PM
link   
WestPoint23, thanks for your input. But, whether have they 200 nm EEZ or approached CSG within 300 nm is matter of tactics, and isn't really relevant in this matter. What matters is strategic meaning of this. Russians are trying to say 'heloooo, we're back in this global chess game'. They are trying to show the US that they aren't world's sole superpower - at least not any more. This bomber game isn't only game Russians started playing recently - the North pole, withdrawal from CFE, recent Shanghai Cooperation Organization, joint military exercises with China, military tech cooperation with India, etc. When you sum all this up, you'll understand what I'm trying to say. In fact, I bet you've been understanding this for quite a while.

And a little personal question - are you West Point cadet/alumni? Of course, I don't insist you tell it; I'm just a little curious.

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Yes I have, and besides all the points you mentioned there are also the new domestic policies and Soviet era atmosphere that Putin has created in Russia. His willingness to confront the US on a global scale in terms of politically charged comments and policies. His actions on controlling the oil and natural gas industry in Russia and using it to fund the military. Also using Russia's vast natural resources to blackmail and pressure eastern block countries. He is also supporting leaders around the world who oppose the US by trying to equip them both military and politically. Trying to influence the political scene in former soviet block's as evident by the Color Revolution in the Ukraine and the situation in Belarus.

I believe these were Putin's intentions all along as soon as he took office. A decade of relatively weak leaders coupled with a degrading economical and political situation had effectively taken Russia out of the global scene. A rising value of natural resources coupled with a mass proliferation of weapons has brought Russia a lot of money. This as allowed Putin to strengthen the military and shape the domestic and political climate in Russia to favor hardliners and more conservative policies. These changes were noticeable before but they have since come into full power after the US ABM proposal. That was just a catalyst for Putin to expedite his plans. It was the excuses he was looking for to be more blatant about his ambitions while still playing the role of victim.

Now Russia can be more assertive militarily as evident by the increase in global military missions, i.e. bomber flights and the Arctic exercise/expedition. They can also build up and improve their military while expanding their area of operations with forward deployed bases. Even though Putin is going to leave office soon he has shaped the future by placing people within the government with similar views, ensuring the same policies are maintained. Also, the presidential system in Russia virtually ensures that whomever the current president endorses wins the next election. Not to mention the suppression of opposition members and the independent media (and or groups).

So yes there is a much greater political, military and strategic message behind these military maneuvers. On a somewhat related note, I have also noticed and posted on the build up the US military has been conducting in the Pacific. Transitioning forces and resources from other areas of the world to increase our presence and attention in the Asia-Pacific theater. We are also facing another power besides Russia that will try and surpass us, China

P.S. No I am not a USMA cadet or alum, the name symbolizes other meaning.

[edit on 17-8-2007 by WestPoint23]

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 04:38 PM
link   
A little update on the recent Russian air activity up-build.

Two of the RAF's Typhoon jets have shadowed a Russian aircraft above the North Atlantic Ocean.

It was one of the first tasks performed by the recently-commissioned jets and it the Bear-H aircraft turned back before it entered UK airspace.

The Ministry of Defence said: "RAF Typhoons from Numbers 3(F) and XI Squadrons launched to shadow a Russian Bear-H aircraft over the North Atlantic Ocean on Friday 17 August 2007."

The £67 million fighter jets were officially put on active standby last month, ready to protect the UK from hijacked airliners and other threats from the skies.

RAF jets shadow Russian aircraft

Well, if they wanted to see Typhoon face-to-face, here they go. This will be probably useful for Russians, 'cause you can bet that the Bear was equipped with electronic reconnaissance equipment.

Further discussion on this specific issue on ATS:

British RAF Jets Intercept Russian Bomber , thread by The_Coo

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Yes I have, and besides all the points you mentioned there are also the new domestic policies and Soviet era atmosphere that Putin has created in Russia.

Do you realize that he is doing this, because the Russian people want him to. After the hardships of the 90's there is no surprise to that.

His willingness to confront the US on a global scale in terms of politically charged comments and policies.

Isn't that how large countries "negotiate" with each other when it comes to foreign policies?

His actions on controlling the oil and natural gas industry in Russia and using it to fund the military. Also using Russia's vast natural resources to blackmail and pressure eastern block countries.

National resources belong to the nation, not to a group of oligarchs who invest all the money they make in Russia in the West for their own gain. And any country that has a strong leadership and natural resources will use those resources to attain their goals.

He is also supporting leaders around the world who oppose the US by trying to equip them both military and politically.

Could this be because the US is doing the exact same thing to Russia? Coincidentally Putin started doing this soon after the coups in Ukraine and Georgia.

Trying to influence the political scene in former soviet block's as evident by the Color Revolution in the Ukraine and the situation in Belarus.

Russia simply tried to retain the status quo. It was the US that was the new party to the strife, and the one who added the instability which will surely reach a violent climax in the future.

I believe these were Putin's intentions all along as soon as he took office.

Hardly. He was taken by surprise just as anyone else when he took office. It took about 4 years for him to actually decide on what policies and goals he wants firmly in place. Everything occured on the run, not by a pre-planned strategy.

A rising value of natural resources coupled with a mass proliferation of weapons has brought Russia a lot of money. This as allowed Putin to strengthen the military and shape the domestic and political climate in Russia to favor hardliners and more conservative policies.

Putin's power and popularity are not in the natural resources. All they did was help strengthen the economy, and put money into investments that were needed. Oil and gas was there long before Putin, and haven't helped his predecessors much. There is more to him than that.

These changes were noticeable before but they have since come into full power after the US ABM proposal. That was just a catalyst for Putin to expedite his plans. It was the excuses he was looking for to be more blatant about his ambitions while still playing the role of victim.

Yes. All governement look for such excuses to push their agenda forward on a wave of patriotism, fear, or whatever emotions the "catalyst" inspires. US did the same after 9/11, and I think Americans can attest to the fact much better than me. Again, Russia is simply playing international politics, and is not doing anything that US isn't or hasn't in the recent past. The degree and extent of Putin's foreign policy can hardly compare to the scope and worldwide consequences of Bush's policy.

Now Russia can be more assertive militarily as evident by the increase in global military missions, i.e. bomber flights and the Arctic exercise/expedition. They can also build up and improve their military while expanding their area of operations with forward deployed bases.

And who can blame them?

Even though Putin is going to leave office soon he has shaped the future by placing people within the government with similar views, ensuring the same policies are maintained. Also, the presidential system in Russia virtually ensures that whomever the current president endorses wins the next election. Not to mention the suppression of opposition members and the independent media (and or groups).

Very true. But Putin is not the first to do this in Russia. In fact one could argue Yeltsin started this game that Putin is playing, since he was the one who placed Putin in power after a careful and drawn out selection process for the Vice President during his last years in office. Russian democracy is still too young to judge trends and likely outcomes.

So yes there is a much greater political, military and strategic message behind these military maneuvers. On a somewhat related note, I have also noticed and posted on the build up the US military has been conducting in the Pacific. Transitioning forces and resources from other areas of the world to increase our presence and attention in the Asia-Pacific theater. We are also facing another power besides Russia that will try and surpass us, China

Russia cannot hope to surpass the US at least for several decades to come. And US has a far lead on China that will take a long time to close, even with China's new economic power. Perhaps Chinese and Russian leaders actually view the US a credible threat, and these actions your are witnessing are not aggressive in nature. It is too early to tell.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by maloy
Perhaps Chinese and Russian leaders actually view the US a credible threat

Unfortunately for Russia, China will grow too big for its borders (it is already happening) and Russians will probably regret the friendship with China and maybe later India. Lucky for us, we have oceans separating our country from any soon to be threats.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 02:58 PM
link   
It may just be me but I don't see it as being such a bad thing. The bombers aren't entering US waters and I presume they are turning once confronted?
If anything it may prove to be good practice for both nations.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Of course, they are all in the know what the crazy US neocons want to do next... IMHO it is the Russian way to say: Do not do it!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join