It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Learn from the fall of Rome, US warned

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Learn from the fall of Rome, US warned

www.ft.com

The US government is on a “burning platform” of unsustainable policies and practices with fiscal deficits, chronic healthcare underfunding, immigration and overseas military commitments threatening a crisis if action is not taken soon, the country’s top government inspector has warned.

David Walker, comptroller general of the US, issued the unusually downbeat assessment of his country’s future in a report that lays out what he called “chilling long-term simulations”.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 13-8-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 07:34 PM
link   
The US comptroller general has sited the dumping of US debt by foreign governments as a reason among others for the warning issued, I would agree with the comptroller that “striking similarities” between America’s current situation and the factors that brought down Rome are staring us in the face as a nation, declining moral values and political corruption coupled with our over extended military ventures would constitute some of these similarities, it is truely disturbing to see news articles like these popping up in the media these days.

www.ft.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I thought that this was an excellent article.
But, will anyone put on their big boy pants when they need to, to make the decisions that need to be made? When will some one rise up through all of the BS and actually do what they say they will do once they take office.

Oddly enough, there are days I am still full of hope. For us, as well as the rest of humanity.

~B

[edit on 8/13/2007 by bobafett1972]

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Someone has come out with a novel recently about the correlations between the US and Rome. I heard an interview on it and it is eerily similar. Same thing, that we are headed for trouble. Rome basically fell from power hungry in-fighting among leaders. Sound familiar?

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Well I tell ya they are doing a good job of keeping the masses entertained in the Colleseum. Let the games(hollywood, pro/college sports, reality TV etc...) stop for a minute and see how long they can keep it together.

I can just see one of the Ceasars saying after some crisis "the most important thing you plebes can do is get out and spend gold".

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 10:55 PM
link   
nixie_nox
I think that's an oversimplification of the fall of Rome. We can safely say that it was the result of a combination of factors - and not the least of which was the apathy, gullibility, and base nature of the common people.

As a whole, I think it would be difficult for this country to more closely resemble Rome, we're pretty close to a perfect match.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 11:04 PM
link   
If the U.S. is Rome, then who are the barbarians?

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
As a whole, I think it would be difficult for this country to more closely resemble Rome, we're pretty close to a perfect match.

With one fundamental difference: We're not run by an Emperor... yet anyway. Also, we're one of the only nations with a Declaration that implies armed revolt in the event of a usurpation of powers by those that we elect.

There are subtle differences, but to say that we're anything but Rome reincarnate would be ridiculous.

TheBorg

[Edited for grammatical error.]

[edit on 13-8-2007 by TheBorg]

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 11:20 PM
link   
We may not technically be run by an emperor but if someone were look at our political structure through a logical, objective periscope it would seem a bit strange. Congress's approval rating is lower than the president's, the president's approval rating is at near record lows. Mind you this is the same president that became president AFTER LOSING THE POPULAR VOTE.

Rome is such a vivid and rich example of the US. We may be very well headed in the same path. As our government continues to function and decide without the genuine voice of the people behind them, the situation can only get worse.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBorg

Originally posted by WyrdeOne

With one fundamental difference: We're not run by an Emperor... yet anyway.

I think Bush is the closest thing we've had in recent history to an Emperor. The way he wields his power, how congress is suppose to obey his every whim and so on.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 11:38 PM
link   
A number of parallels I can think of:

1) Weak-minded and/or morally corrupt leaders.

2) Debasement of the currency

3) Enrichement of the Wealthy (Equestrian/Patricians) resulting in detioration of the middle class.

3a) Conglomeration of major trade captains and landowners at the expense of the individual famers and tradesmen.

4) An exponential increase in the number of vexatious and burdensome regulations and statutes.

5) Burdensome taxation - again for the most part born by the middle class

6) Barbarians: Ostrogoths=Illegal Immigrants

7) Rapid and uncontrollable increases in the basic cost of living.

8) Seizure and forecloseurs of land (again guess who takes the hit)

and about thirty or fourty more I'm too lazy to list right now.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 01:32 AM
link   
The sad part is that most americans seem to be in denial as to the true state of the U.S., most of the people I talk to day to day act as if things aren't so bad, leaving me feeling like somewhat of a chicken little type, "things are not as bad as you think" they say, and they go back to watching their ball game on TV. what will it take to wake up the average joe before it's too late??

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 02:33 AM
link   
passenger
Pretty good list.

I disagree that the Barbarians are immigrants though. I think our barbarians are in our midst already, and they come from all walks of life - no one religion or ethnicity or nationality can claim the lot of them, at least as far as I'm concerned.

We've got barbarians all around, we're thick with 'em: people who would just as soon club you for a dollar as say hello. I doubt I'm the only one who has noticed the increase in random acts of violence, and a general decay of civility. Of course some immigrants, legal and illegal, fall into the above category, but many don't. It's not fair to paint them all with the same brush.

The_Borg
It's true we're not technically run by an emperor but, in reality, Rome really wasn't either. Different emperors were differently equipped, but there was always a lot of power sharing going on, between landowners, the military, politicians, traders, religious figures, even slaves (sometimes their owners forget the possibility of revolt). In practice, I don't think their form of governance was any different than ours is now - Gold=God.

I still believe in my heart that if the American people wanted change tomorrow, they could create it for themselves, and each other.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 03:03 AM
link   
"The Barbarians".
Let's put it in caps. Cause they were so, so , uhh, barbaric.?
Barbarians were simply the exploited and conquered peoples that were subject to the empire but had no voice in it. They weren't without civilization, without culture. They were simply the People who had become so exploited by what was obviously a corrupt political system, denied the pleasures of "citizenship" but expected nonetheless to support it. They saw their chance to be free of the yoke of the oppressors and they took it.
It's not like these barbarians were all magically transported to Rome one day, where they attacked like vicious animals. Don't forget, "Rome" had grown to encompass even a good portion of the British Isles. These barbarians had been a part of "Rome" for centuries.
The barbarians didn't destroy Rome. Rome(the government) destroyed Rome(the civilization). The "barbarians" just helped clean up a little during and after the last act.
disclaimer
I might be American, but my heart is Barbarian. Bring on Act IV.
/disclaimer

[edit on 14-8-2007 by jonknight]

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBorg
With one fundamental difference: We're not run by an Emperor... yet anyway. Also, we're one of the only nations with a Declaration that implies armed revolt in the event of a usurpation of powers by those that we elect.

There are subtle differences, but to say that we're anything but Rome reincarnate would be ridiculous.

TheBorg

[Edited for grammatical error.]

[edit on 13-8-2007 by TheBorg]

Who says you are not run by an emperor. If you look at hollywood, do you people not treat them as gods, sounds fimilar. For the part on fighting back, have you not seen the apathy in your country nowadays, do you really think you have enough will to stop america falling. Your just lucky that the globalists need you to buy there goods, or you would have a much lower standard of living.

For me there are alot of similarities, but time can tell.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 05:59 AM
link   
I wouldn't compare barbarians and immigrants. I'd rather compare immigrants and slaves and the reason why is because in rome one of the major reasons for misery, poverty and in the end the fall of the empire was that there was too many slaves. So many slaves in fact that many normal romans had really hard time to find work.
Barbarians were conquered nations, which nations has US conquered lately? The comparison between 'barbarian' (who really aren't barbaric, just different) and iraqi people might be quite accurate.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 06:15 AM
link   
The decline and fall of the American Empire

Alan Woods

"The [American] Republic ended in 1950. Since then we have had an imperial system." What are the chief characteristics of this system? First, the USA intervenes in an aggressive way in every part of the world. According to his researches, since 1950, the USA has waged at least 300 wars in different parts of the globe. Yet, although the Constitution stipulates that any war must be approved by Congress, not one of these conflicts has been so approved. In fact, the last time an American president sought and obtained congressional approval for a war was in 1941, after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.

So who rules America? Who is the Emperor?

America is ruled by a dictatorship - the dictatorship of Money, of the "corporate masters" who take all the real decisions while giving the masses the illusion of democracy.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Enter Nero, playing air guitar.

Also, let's not forget our crumbling infrastructure.

[edit on 14-8-2007 by gottago]

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Nice touch, with the presidential seal on the guitar, but the nero comment was kinda off, nero took christians and set them on fire, and used them as human torches, I dont think Bush has it in him to do such a thing, I hope not anyway.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
If the U.S. is Rome, then who are the barbarians?

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo aka Walt Kelly

[edit on 14-8-2007 by grover]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join