It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researchers Invent Bendy Battery.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 07:17 PM
link   

It's a battery that looks like a piece of paper and can be bent or twisted, trimmed with scissors or molded into any shape needed. While the battery is only a prototype a few inches square right now, the researchers at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute who developed it have high hopes for it in electronics and other fields that need smaller, lighter power sources.

Full MSNBC Article Here

Sounds interesting, must be time for a step up the electronic evolutionary ladder. Things will get smaller and lighter, maybe more expensive too.

I'm sure there are untold applications for this, especially in the mobile computing market.

Let's hope some interesting things come of this, I'm sure the "solar energy" market could use this somehow.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Nobody interested?

I would have expected all you "tekkies" to be over the moon about this new discovery that could revolutionise the way portable electronics are made and pushing the bounderies of what is technically possible.

Any comments?

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 04:33 PM
link   
This guy has invented another type of battery as well.

www.youtube.com...

While those are interesting, I feel batteries are worthless, when we have ways to generate terrawatts of energy with portable devices which are supressed. I'm more interested in something that puts out energy, rather than destroys it. Something like a Steven Mark TPU is where its at. What I'm saying is, we should be looking for ways to generate energy freely from the aether, rather than trying to find ways to store it for temporary amounts of time before it dies, and you are forced to buy another, also polluting the earth even more with these worthless dead cells.

I majored in product design, and read articles and talked to companies which specifically designed their products to die after a set amount of time. This was on purpose, so the customer would have to buy another product. These companies can actually build products that last a lifetime, but choose not to. The battery is the same deal. There's no money in a battery that lasts forever, so no battery company would ever make one, let alone consider researching one. I guess I'm kinda angry at this type of reasoning.
[edit on 14-8-2007 by Freezer]

[edit on 14-8-2007 by Freezer]

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I thought this was a great thing to see even on CNN, I want to get one of those batteries but, alas...It won't be on the market for quite some time from what I've heard.

They also think we would be getting slimmer laptops as well, at least we're making lots of progress with the technology in one way or another.

new topics

top topics

join