It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Deny Everything....

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I have noticed a trend in the new point (star) system, and basically if you DEBUNK any given subject you seem to rack up points (or stars) no matter how good the argument to the contrary is.

So, in the interests of truth, justice and the American way I have put myself out in front of the firing squad to exercise my 1st amendment rights. I am a true (show me) skeptic by nature. I have seen enough crap in 38 years to validate (IMHO) half the subjects discussed in these forums.

I found it quite alarming when I noticed the trend, and I'm sure other astute readers have noticed as well. Im pretty sure that the forum moderators assign the points to posts,(MODS: feel free to elaborate here) so what gives? Has ATS gotten too big and being manipulated by The Powers That Be? Is there a hidden agenda? Or is it just a popularity contest and points are awarded to favorites or to the opposition of ones not "liked" for whatever reason.

Dont get me wrong, there are things that NEED to be debunked and explained that is a given, to deny ignorance but unfortunatly this motto tends to lead to arrogance as I see people thinking they are so much smarter that Joe Blow so they must be right....and go half cocked into posts debunking (or trying too) everything in sight... remeber folks the motto isnt:

ATS "DENY EVERYTHING"

Special Note: To all you would be suck ups who will undoubtedly swoop in to try and champion the web site and Moderators and owners (and co-conspirators) know that I truly have a profound respect for ATS and the readers and contributors, we all share a commonality of wanting to know more that the average, spoon fed sheeple....that is why I wrote this thread, I dont want to see this wonderful place change into something else, so dont bother trying to flame me because I really dont give a damn what you think about me.
(THIS THREAD WAS MOVED....SO NOONE WOULD READ IT?)

[edit on 13-8-2007 by 1nL1ghtened]

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I think your premis is incorrect. Look how many stars GhostRaven got even after people were onto him. Look how many stars the Haiti threads got, or how about the drones? Stars is a very fleeting recognition system that earns no points and disappears as the thread drops. It's a way to say "Right On!" without the need to post. There's probably some abuse as friends bolster each other, but on the whole the statistics of it should leaven out any abuse. In other words, it's really no big deal. Your idea that only debunking posts get starred is not supported by the facts.

It IS interesting how threads get silently moved with no notice, however. It would be nice to have a 'thread moved because' notice so you could follow through. Some forum software allows you to do this, essentially an 'arrow' linking to the new location.

[edit on 8/13/2007 by schuyler]

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I may be wrong here but i dont believe that you receive points for stars, its just a way for people to let you know that they agree withe point you've made or for a good post.
You only get points from reply's to your threads, for posting, for applauses or from contests. stars have nothing to do with it, then again i'll stand corrected if thats not the case.

[edit on 13/8/07 by mojo4sale]

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Couple of things...

The stars have no point value, nor do they enhance a members standing in any official way. Staff do not "assign points" in threads, though there is the "Staff Applause" that can be awarded to ANY outstanding post regardless of which "side" it's on.

This is a private board, and as such, there is no "First Amendment Right to Free Speech." I know this sounds harsh, but that is the reality of the matter... If you don't like it, there's a whole World Wide Web out there just begging for another venue to voice opinions on... Good luck.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
I think your premis is incorrect. Look how many stars GhostRaven got even after people were onto him. Look how many stars the Haiti threads got, or how about the drones? Stars is a very fleeting recognition system that earns no points and disappears as the thread drops. It's a way to say "Right On!" without the need to post. There's probably some abuse as friends bolster each other, but on the whole the statistics of it should leaven out any abuse. In other words, it's really no big deal. Your idea that only debunking posts get starred is not supported by the facts.

It IS interesting how threads get silently moved with no notice, however. It would be nice to have a 'thread moved because' notice so you could follow through. Some forum software allows you to do this, essentially an 'arrow' linking to the new location.

[edit on 8/13/2007 by schuyler]

Thats just because so many people FLAGGED and viewed, replied and such...thats why GhostRaven got so many stars.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 05:45 PM
link   
So that whole caustic, accusatory, name-calling rant was for nothing? LMAO

Deny ignorance.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 05:48 PM
link   

This is a private board, and as such, there is no "First Amendment Right to Free Speech." I know this sounds harsh, but that is the reality of the matter... If you don't like it, there's a whole World Wide Web out there just begging for another venue to voice opinions on... Good luck.

Enter co-conspirator one... feel free to do what you must you'll just prove my point.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1nL1ghtened

Enter co-conspirator one... feel free to do what you must you'll just prove my point.

Co-conspirator 2 here, what IS your point?

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
So that whole caustic, accusatory, name-calling rant was for nothing? LMAO

Deny ignorance.

Sorry for being off topic but why cant I see your personal page, it says error. (when I click on your name)

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Did you NOT take time to read the post?

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

#3 Here.......... Where's the beef?

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 05:59 PM
link   

I have noticed a trend in the new point (star) system, and basically if you DEBUNK any given subject you seem to rack up points (or stars) no matter how good the argument to the contrary is.

Your theory is unfounded. I debunk subjects all the time and often never receive any stars for the effort. There were no planes crashing into the Pentagon on the Moon because we never landed there due too the conspiracy that was concocted behind the gassy knoll. Consider this post my de-bunking of your theory which implies that I will get dozens of stars for stating the above. We'll see I guess.

Why are you so worried about opposition? Opposition can be good and helps you to see the flaws/strengths of your own opinion. Take away all opposition and this board would be like a global warming discussion at the Gore dinner table. What is the sound of one hand clapping?

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Shooting Stars

Any member can award a star to a post, so if there's a conspiracy, the entire ATS membership is in on it.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Ahhhh...

The proclamation before martyrdom... Nope we've never seen this before...

:shk:

While I'm sure in your mind that your 'insight" is revolutionary in nature, and your willingness to "risk" your membership is altruistic in nature, I find it no more than casually amusing. Labeling me a "co-conspirator" only exposes your superficial understanding of ATS...

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Did you NOT take time to read the post?

Yes I did. Sorry, I'll rephrase, what is your intent?

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 06:03 PM
link   
So is the problem with the stars or with the large amount of inane posts?

Having been here a few years I can tell you it seems to come in waves, sort of the like seasons. A lot of bored teenagers with nothing better to do or people that just like messing with peoples heads. But, no matter the content I usually just ignore topics that I find completely insane and with no basis in fact other than the OP said so. Saves a huge headache if you ask me. Here, there, everywhere, you will find the same sort of people doing the same sort of thing.

I think the MODS here do a wonderful job weeding out what they can, given the monlithic size of this board. Brown nosing? Nah, I got nothing to gain, this website, nore any other for that matter mean absolutely nothing to me in the real world.

Button, button, who's got the button . . .

B

[edit on 8/13/2007 by bobafett1972]

[edit on 8/13/2007 by bobafett1972]

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Thank you all for replying and quelling my (paranoid) fears, as I have stated:

I truly have a profound respect for ATS and the readers and contributors, we all share a commonality of wanting to know more that the average, spoon fed sheeple....that is why I wrote this thread, I dont want to see this wonderful place change into something else

Itsnt why we all are here?

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me
Ahhhh...

The proclamation before martyrdom... Nope we've never seen this before...

:shk:

While I'm sure in your mind that your 'insight" is revolutionary in nature, and your willingness to "risk" your membership is altruistic in nature, I find it no more than casually amusing. Labeling me a "co-conspirator" only exposes your superficial understanding of ATS...

Heh good stuff, I have no wish to become a martyr.....but I also am not afraid to take a stand. "INFITIAS IRE DOMINATIO" (ill save you the trouble of looking it up..it loosely translates to DENY CONTROL)

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 06:14 PM
link   
So now that things have been clarified regarding the "Stars" one has to wonder why you decided to approach this by immediately calling our ALL VOLUNTEER STAFF MADE UP EXCLUSIVELY OF YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS "conspirators".

Was that really necessary?

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 06:17 PM
link   
In many cases it takes much research and analyzing to find the truth when dealing with a hoax...members reward the effort by adding stars as a sign of respect and appreciation. We have a really open minded membership but their minds aren't so open that their brains fall out.

Take care....

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join