It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star Wars continuity question

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I recently rewatched the "prequel trilogy," and something occurred to me while watching Episode II.

In that film, when Anakin returns to Tatooine to rescue his mother, we see that C-3PO has been working on the Cliegg Lars farm for some period of time; perhaps even since his maker Anakin originally left when a child.

So... how come, in Episode IV, Owen Lars doesn't recognize the droid he's buying from the Jawas? Threepio even introduces himself by name to the farmer, whom you'd think would remember the annoyingly chatty droid that he spent so much time with. Of course, it's been 20 years or so, but still...

Am I missing something, or have I spotted a true continuity goof?

Baack

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 09:59 AM
link   
That's a good one! I had been thinking about that from a different angle: How is it that C3PO never connect Luke with Anakin? "Luke Skywalker?!? Are you any relation to Anakin Skywalker?" Is Skywalker so common of a name in the Empire?

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 04:47 PM
link   
At the end of episode 3, 3P0 gets his mind wiped which is why he would never make the Skywalker connection. As far as the Lars' not identifying him, mabey they knew and didnt want to tell Luke? Or its a big ol'gigantic plot hole!

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I never thought of that but what I was wondering is why Ben didn't recognize R2 and 3po in A New Hope.
Same overall issue I guess.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Well anakin did not live with Owen as a child Im not sure he even knew him. Anakin built 3-CPO as a child, and after he became Vader 3-CPO was left with Padme, so i doubt Owen ever heard of 3-CPO in the first place.

[edit on 16-8-2007 by Falken]

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Falken
after he became Vader 3-CPO was left with Padme, so i doubt Owen ever heard of 3-CPO in the first place.

3P0 was actually left with Bail Organna at the end of 3 where he got his mind wiped. Padme died birthin kids. Hope I didnt ruin the ending lol!

Umbrax, When Luke met Obi Wan, he said something about the droids belonging to someone named Obi Wan, To which Ben replied "I dont seem to remember owning any droids", which is the truth, Luke made a statement about him OWNING. Old Ben Kenobi has a way to fashion the truth. *eg. "Vader betrayed and murdered your father."

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Ah that's logical.

Cheers.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Try this out: Wookieepedia. Sorry one liner.:shk:

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Holy cripes that is way to much C3p0 info!

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Many years later, C-3PO was found in a cave on an unknown planet, which was home to the Vindar, by two youths by the names of Otalp and Remoh, who had been searching for him due to a vision from their Den-mother. He was missing both the lower half of his body, his arms, and even parts of his faceplate but was still semi-functional. At first, he simply muttered nonsense about "Master Luke" and "Artoo" in Basic but, when the two youths started to talk, he adjusted to their language. The trio had a brief conversation in which 3PO told the youths of his past adventures with Luke Skywalker. 3PO was shot by the Vindar a few moments later, but not before inspiring the two youths to start a revolution against the oppressive Vindar. His last gift to the galaxy was a green lightsaber found next to his destroyed body.

R.I.P (Rest In Pieces)

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 09:16 PM
link   
So that's how threepio went out huh? I did not know that. Somewhere Han Solo is finally at peace

[edit on 16-8-2007 by kleverone]

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by kleverone
So that's how threepio went out huh? I did not know that. Somewhere Han Solo is finally at peace

[edit on 16-8-2007 by kleverone]

My bad Han Solo is dead too:

Han Solo and Chewbacca are aboard the Millennium Falcon when they are attacked by Imperials. They are forced to leap to hyperspace blind and end up in our solar system, where they crash on Earth's Pacific Northwest. Believing they are on Endor due to the large trees, they venture out to investigate, when Han is killed by Native Americans. The mourning Chewbacca leaves the Falcon to live in the trees, where the natives believe him to be Sasquatch.

This is of course a novel thats has nothing to do with the actual star wars trilogy but they did kill him anyways

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Baack
I recently rewatched the "prequel trilogy," and something occurred to me while watching Episode II.

In that film, when Anakin returns to Tatooine to rescue his mother, we see that C-3PO has been working on the Cliegg Lars farm for some period of time; perhaps even since his maker Anakin originally left when a child.

So... how come, in Episode IV, Owen Lars doesn't recognize the droid he's buying from the Jawas? Threepio even introduces himself by name to the farmer, whom you'd think would remember the annoyingly chatty droid that he spent so much time with. Of course, it's been 20 years or so, but still...

Am I missing something, or have I spotted a true continuity goof?

Baack

Owen wouldnt have recognized 3PO. When 3PO left Tatooine he was an unfinished, common, protocol droid. He recieved his nice shiny gold plating after Owen last saw him, so his appearance was quite different.

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Falken
Well anakin did not live with Owen as a child Im not sure he even knew him. Anakin built 3-CPO as a child, and after he became Vader 3-CPO was left with Padme, so i doubt Owen ever heard of 3-CPO in the first place.

3PO did not leave Tatooine with Anakin and company in EP1. He was left with Anakin's mother Schmi.
3PO was picked up by Anakin in EPII when he and Padme went to rescue Schmi. I'm not sure how old Owen was, at least 16 and 3PO had been there the entire time.

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Baack

That's quite a find that I've never thought about.

The one thing that has bugged me is why does Obi-Wan have a British accent. How would he have this a long time before there were British people here on earth?

Wookieepedia explains that he was taken at a young age from his home world which he remembers mostly as being green. Perhaps Lucas is saying that the British are from another world that hasn't been visited in Star Trek lore before.

posted on Oct, 20 2007 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Sanity Lost

Because the ACTOR that played him was BRITISH!!

It's just a film!!

Duh go figure!!

And incase I just offended anyone - with my best BRITISH accent...

"These are not the posts your looking for!"

Jedi MonKey

Just for fun - There is no such thing as a British accent!! Britain has more regional accents than any other country on earth.

Obi Wan was English, from the south east I expect. Sir Alec There you go: Paddington, London.

posted on Oct, 20 2007 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Falken

So, THAT's what everyone keeps seeing and smelling up here, huh? Chewie really needs to get himself into a carpet cleaner.

As for the continuity issue, I think that Lars "didn't recognize" 3PO because he remembered what "Old Ben" told him before. They were not to divulge to Luke any of his family history, in the hopes that he would stay hidden from Vader's influence.

Man, now you make me wanna go watch it again. SHAME ON YOU!!

TheBorg

posted on Oct, 20 2007 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sanity Lost
Wookieepedia explains that he was taken at a young age from his home world which he remembers mostly as being green. Perhaps Lucas is saying that the British are from another world that hasn't been visited in Star Trek lore before.

Bold emphasis mine...

I call your hand on not remembering what series we're talking about here.

This is about Star WARS, not Star TREK. both are great shows, but one's only known as a fantasy saga, while the other is relegated to primetime TV.

Consider this a friendly head's up!!

I'll forgive ya this one time, alright? No hard feelings, ok?

TheBorg

posted on Oct, 20 2007 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by TheBorg

Thank your for the heads up. I'm almost certain Obi has never been part of Star Trek lore. What I meant to say is Star Wars lore.

ChiKeyMonKey
Offended I am not. I know he is was a British actor but that is not the focus of the point I was making. The character Obi-Wan spoke with a British sounding accent placing him from one part of the UK or another.
Does the make Obi-Wan to have come from Earth or is this just another angle of the Star War saga that hasn't been brought up before?

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Sanity Lost

So in that vain.....the Trade Federation spoke with a Asian accent and the thing that owned Anakin (Sorry I don't recall what his name was) spoke with an Italian accent so does that make them from Asia and Italy?

I actually think Obi Wan spoke with a British accent because he got traded from Man U to the Jedi Order for 2 Padawans and an undisclosed sum of cash.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join