It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Is Yellowstone Worse Than They Say?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 06:29 PM
link   

The U.S. Geological Survey has been a bit conservative concerning the Super Volcano in Yellowstone Park. Evidence is showing that the park maybe in grave danger as it may be on a fast track to erruption.

"Rangers have closed part of the park because of land deformation and high ground temperatures. Visitors are complaining about the stench of sulfur. Everything in the area of the bulge is dying, including trees, flowers, grass and shrubs. Even animals are leaving. Dead fish are floating in Yellowstone Lake."

www.unknowncountry.com...

More information here:
proliberty.com...

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Bulging earth under Yellowstone Lake raises fears

Below the blue waters of Yellowstone Lake, a mysterious dome 2,100 feet across and 100 feet high is causing concern among scientists and citizens who don't know whether it's a harmless curiosity or a hazard on the verge of exploding.
The dome, also called a bulge, is less than a mile from shore and was recently explored by researchers with the U.S. Geological Survey, using unmanned submarines and sonar.
"It could be the precursor to a hydrothermal explosion," said Lisa Morgan, a geologist leading the team.

Continued at:

www.sltrib.com...

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 02:00 PM
link   
This is one story I always subscribe to but never get around to reading. Thanks, ocelot.
I have heard there is also supposed to be a caldera buried under Michigan or something.
The following quote mentions how safe they think the Park still is. How much advance warning would this eruption give? Hours? Days? Weeks or more?

But scientists and park officials have cautioned against panic, saying that Yellowstone is intensely monitored for any changes.
Morgan said while the dome may explode, it might just as easily collapse or simply do nothing.
Still, she and park officials are drawing up a hazard-assessment plan just in case.
"A hydrothermal explosion is an extreme event and a rare event but they have happened," Morgan said.
Mary Bay, an area of the lake near the dome, was created by a hydrothermal blast more than 13,000 years ago that scientists consider to be one of the biggest explosions in geologic history. There are at least five other craters in Yellowstone Lake caused by enormous eruptions.
Exactly what damage an explosion would cause today is being investigated. Morgan said it could eject rocks and poisonous gas and cause waves as high as 20 feet. Whether the damage would spread beyond the park depends on the force of the blast.
"No one has ever witnessed a large hydrothermal explosion. It's a steam explosion, which can be as powerful as TNT," park geologist Hank Heasler said.

archangel's link

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   
DTOM,
Any idea of where that caldera is supposed to be in Michigan? I've never heard of it.
CS

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 02:33 PM
link   
No, I heard it in the last week or two. Can't of course remember where. Can't find anything on the 'net.
Hoping maybe someone here willl have heard of it. Think I should start a thread??

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Man, I remember watching a show on this a few years ago, If yellowstone blows....eeeeeee That would be VERY bad for everyone. A few years ago they were talking about some of the vents changing times around yellowstone and that these were the first signs of a possible change in the whole underground volcanic system. Also that the land there was slowly rising and if a rift suddenly errupted, the damage it could cause would be catastrophic. Yikes!

Heres an informative link on yellowstone

vulcan.wr.usgs.gov...

Heres the news the USGS lists on it:

volcanoes.usgs.gov...

Its a FAQ.

Yellowstone Monthly update for April:
April 2004 Yellowstone Seismicity Summary

During April 2004, 508 earthquakes were located in
the Yellowstone region. The largest shock to occur
during this period was a magnitude 2.7 earthquake
on April 17 at 1:22 AM MST, located about 8.8
miles northwest of Madison Junction, Wyoming.

A notable swarm of small earthquakes occurred April
12-23. These were located on the northwest side of
Yellowstone National Park and northwest of the
Yellowstone caldera. The events were generally small
and none were reported felt. The swarm included 465
earthquakes. Magnitudes ranged from -1.2 to 2.7, with
8 events greater than 2.0 magnitude. .

Taken from:
volcanoes.usgs.gov...

And Finally, for anyone who wants to monitor earthquake activity:
earthquake.usgs.gov...

Very helpful link that is there for all the US and not just Yellowstone if you dont already have that link.

[Edited on 22-5-2004 by Darkblade71]

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 02:39 PM
link   
There is a lot of info on Yellowstone theory on these forums i frequent now and again:

forums.armageddononline.org...

This is one thread, go through the various 'armageddon' pages to see more.

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by CommonSense
DTOM,
Any idea of where that caldera is supposed to be in Michigan? I've never heard of it.
CS

vulcan.wr.usgs.gov...

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Thanks Energy wave!

The link at the bottom of that page lists for all states, which is awesome, I'm gonna go read up on my state and the history of it....Very cool

new topics

top topics

join