It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Almost Hit A Deer!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Scary stuff! For those that don't know, I just got my permit, and I'm learning to drive. (Late in the game I know, but better late than never). Went out with my worse half in the car to run errands.I was tired from staying up late watching the meteors, so I asked worse half to drive home.Best idea ever! There are lots of deer around our home, and we were only minutes from turning onto our street when a deer came running across the road .Thank god worse half is a good driver or we would have hit it.Another driver narrowly missed it as well.I know for sure had it been me driving home today, would've been off she wrote for AccessDenied.Perhaps Iam over reacting a bit, but being a new driver this scared the daylights outta me!

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Holy smokes! What an introduction to the driving world!
Thank goodness you're allright! Hitting a deer can do some MAJOR damage. Has your pulse gotten back to normal?

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Yeah, a deer will straight eff your car up!!!!

Ever see Tommy Boy?

Peace

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I wish I had the picture of it. I saw a deer once that got hit by a car and went throug the front windshield leaving his hind feet sticking out the front glass whilst his front feet where sticking out the rear. Hitting a deer can be dangerous but in most cases it just destroys your car. I'm glad you were able to escape unscaithed.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Voyager1
I wish I had the picture of it. I saw a deer once that got hit by a car and went throug the front windshield leaving his hind feet sticking out the front glass whilst his front feet where sticking out the rear. Hitting a deer can be dangerous but in most cases it just destroys your car. I'm glad you were able to escape unscaithed.

Gosh thanks for the horrible visuals!

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Almost?...Oh...and there I was about to call first dibs on a deer burger.
Just kidding. It's good the deer wasn't hit and your alright.

-tts

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Thanks tts, and I hate venison.Too gamey. If it had been a moose and I was lucky enough to walk away, Moose burgers all around!I know, if it had been a moose, there would be no walking away.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Thank God you are ok. I hate deer. Yes, they look pretty but they also cause alot of damage. (I sell insurance) In the state of Missouri, if you hit a deer, the Missouri Conservation Dept will pay your deductable up to $500.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Thanks Constantly Wondering.Only damage was to my nerves.I'll be good to go tomorrow.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Well I actually hit one at night a few years back- and there was nothing I could have done to avoid it. Just say I hated that it happened. And I do try to avoid driving at night.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I hit a deer when I was about 16. I was actually driving my
parents home from a New Years party and they started yelling at me. Actually come to think of it, I didn't hit the deer, it hit me! That really messed the car up. I still can't believe they yelled at me. I had no time to slow down or anything.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Leyla, Secret Titan, thanks for thr replies. Glad you both made it out of it OK.
Leyla, I hear you. It was as if this poor girl had a death wish the way she jumped out. This was 11:00 am in the morning though and not at night.

Secret Titan, I'm sure it was just the alcohol talking as far as your parents go. IMHO they should have thanked you for driving them home.They could have had a far worse collision than a deer.We barely had time to hit the breaks and almost wound up in the ditch ourselves.It just scares me to think I could have been driving and I haven't learned evasive maneuvers like that yet. Definitely on my agenda now.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Glad everything's OK. Both you and the deer.

Here's something you want to avoid, stupid deer ducks onto the highway just as a big rig is roaring by at somewhere around 65 mph, needless to say deer got turned into basically mist with fragments. The grossest thing you've ever seen. I, unfortunately, was driving the other way at that exact moment, and my forest green Olds was suddenly the grossest shade of reddish-pink, with flecks and chunks interspersed. I'm not sure how I managed not to crash my self, because I was somewhat ill.

Nasty doesn't even begin to describe it. Only good thing was the deer couldn't have even known what happened.

I was late for work that night, because I spent 2, almost 3 hours, at the car wash. You know whats odd? No one believes me.

White tail deer are a menace. Not by any evil intent obviously, but sheer numbers. I read somewhere, that there are more whitetail now than when Lewis and Clark came through here. I believe it. They're everywhere.

[edit on 14-8-2007 by seagull]

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Wow Seagull, all I can say is
. Wouldn't be me cleaning that up. Very weak stomach here. I believe there is more deer, despite the hunting, which has declined somewhat here I think.I walk a nature trail everyday near my home and see them often.They are not afraid. Closest I came was about 3 feet away from a young doe.She just stood there looking at me.A couple of steps and I could've reached out and touched her.Instead I just talked to her softly(yeah I know only crazy people talk to deer), assuring her It was Ok, I wouldn't hurt her, and then I walked slowly away.She never moved, just watched me continue on.

How come no one believes you seagull?Surely someone saw you driving to the car wash like that.Oh God, turns my stomach to think about it.Gonna make me toss my breakfast.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 07:39 AM
link   
No one actually did see the car at least not closely, as I work late nights, and this occured at around 11 pm on my way to work...and I wasn't about to let that stuff sit on my car any longer than I had to. Needless to say, that car wash was not exactly pleasent. I ended up having to wash the car wash afterwards, lest someone think I'd murdered someone...

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I was in a car that hit a deer one night....it's amazing how much damage they can do.

In some countries (here in France for instance), if you hit and kill an animal on the road ti is illegal for you to then take it for yourself (if it was good for eating)!

However....anyone following you in a vehicle has a legal right to it. Crazy.

Round here there are not many deer but we have quite a few wild boar that get "splattered".

Glad you're OK after this event AD, and the deer and none of you got hurt.

These events are more common when it is "rutting" season and all the females are being persued by randy stags and not paying attention to their surroundings too much......."run away".

[edit on 14/8/2007 by nerbot]

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I live out in the country where we have lots of deer. Come right through the back yard early in the morning. Saw the damndest thing few weeks ago. Was driving down a long country road and saw a doe standing by the side of the road. I was a fair distance from her and started slowing down. I swear, she looked both ways before crossing the road and when she got across, her fawn followed. Are the deer getting smarter?

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Oh deer!

Look Ma Road Kill, It's a bummer when you hit something.

I ran over a big old fox once, which my slightly inebriated friend found freaking funny! (coming home from work - used to be in pubs) I swerved big time, still hit the fox and ended up in the middle of a roundabout.

A few days later I went out to my car and on the drivers door just below the window was 2 stickers: a fox and a roundabout both with big red crosses through them!

Who need enemys?

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Definitely nice friends you got there Chikey.Sometimes you can't miss em no matter what you do.

Update: Discovered a nasty bruise on my arm. Must have hit the door harder than I thought.Didn't show up till today.No complaints. It could've been worse.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Its good to know your okay. Hitting a deer is terrible.

About 2 years ago about 10 before Christmas, I was driving with my wife and 2 year old daughter, when a GIANT buck jumped out in front of my Blazer. Not only did the deer die but the entire front of my car was destroyed, insurance company said we were like $50 from totalling the Blazer.

The Officers who took the report, got a laugh out of it and then told my daughter than Santa Claus was coming this year because Daddy killed Rudolph.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join