It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This year's meteor shower

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 03:33 AM
link   

This year's meteor shower

travel.timesonline.co.uk

Where will you be between midnight and 4am on August 13? If you plan to be tucked up in bed with the curtains drawn, think again, because you might be missing out on a truly cosmic experience – a rare unspoilt view of a spectacular meteor shower.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 13-8-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 03:33 AM
link   
I saw just over 28 really good ones last night in around an hour.
2 however were quite strange as instead of zooming across the sky they sort of came straight in and all you could see was a small speck getting brighter and brighter untill it just winked out.

Dont forget there should be a good show tonight too!

travel.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

CX

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Me and my little girls fell asleep on the back lawn watching these, did'nt quite manage 28 but nethertheless it was a great event.

It was the first time they'd seen a shooting star, let alone tons of them.

CX.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 04:59 AM
link   
I went out and lay in the middle of a field last night, I was only there for a bit but I saw a few good ones. Some pretty good fireball looking ones with big trails behind them, it was beautiful!

Started getting a bit cloudy later on though

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Sat outside last night with my daughter, and watched a few. Some were quite spectacular.I wish we could have seen more, but we live in a city, and though the skies were clear, damn city lights ruin everything.Next year I'll find a field somewhere.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 07:02 AM
link   
What I found curious were those that sort of came straight in with no tail.
The only way you noticed them was just as speck that got brighter and brighter then flash and gone!

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Unfortunately it was too cloudy round here to see much...I saw one flash of green but that's it.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 09:46 AM
link   
saw a good few from my back in a field in the middle of Plymouth city centre. All the ones i saw were yellow.

all in all, well worth it!

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 09:56 AM
link   
laid on the ground in my back yard, burning one and watching the shower..

pretty cool.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 10:38 AM
link   
It was too cloudy where I am to watch the meteors last night, and by the looks of things right now, I'm not sure I'll be able to see anything tonight either. Hopefully it'll clear up. I love watching meteor showers.

[edit on 13-8-2007 by Saturn]

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I went out at 2am CST to leave for work and tried to catch some, and when I got to work I kinda straggled walking in, but I didn't see any. I live up in mid Wisconsin, too far north maybe?

I do believe that I may have seen the ISS though!

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mekanic
I went out at 2am CST to leave for work and tried to catch some, and when I got to work I kinda straggled walking in, but I didn't see any. I live up in mid Wisconsin, too far north maybe?

I do believe that I may have seen the ISS though!

No its best seen in the Northern Hemisphere.
I was hoing for anoth look tonight but weve already got thick cloud and the weathermen are predicting rain, so Im happy I watched yesterday

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chonx
saw a good few from my back in a field in the middle of Plymouth city centre. All the ones i saw were yellow.

all in all, well worth it!

Saw quite a few from Plympton!! Chonx ~ never heard any one mention they are from Plymouth on this site before

I had to take a walk to near by lane tho, got too many of those bloody sodium street lights here, very hard to see through the orange light.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Already being discussed here:

Perseid Meteors set to Dazzle..12th/13th of August
posted on 8/1/2007 by nerbot

Perseids Meteors 12 August
posted on 8/12/2007 by Chorlton

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by damajikninja
Already being discussed here:

Yes but this is the discussion of the actuall appearance of the meteors and what we saw.

Did you see them?

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chorlton
Yes but this is the discussion of the actuall appearance of the meteors and what we saw.

I understand, however the other threads (one of which was created by you, more than a week after the original Perseids thread) would be the best place to continue an ongoing discussion. No need to have three threads opened up for one topic.

Did you see them?

I didn't get a chance to look last night, but am hoping to see a show tonight.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I returned today from a camping trip in upstate NY, Adirondack Park to be specific. I was especially looking forward to seeing the shower with the sky being dramatically more clear there than it is here in Rhode Island. Unfortunately for me, the sky was cloudy all night long. Insult to injury, it magically rained right through the tarp on top of my brand new tent. Oh well, it was worth a shot!

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 09:07 PM
link   
found this video from the 12 of august 2007

i was sleeping cause i had to work in the am

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Hey that video is neat.
Ive still not had any feed back on those meteorites that came straight in, though I suppose its obvious that some would.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chorlton
Ive still not had any feed back on those meteorites that came straight in, though I suppose its obvious that some would.

Chorlton,

By the sound of it you saw some "point meteors". Were they seen in Perseus ? If they were, and there was no/little apparent sideways movement, then that is probably what they were. They are not common, but during shower peaks, there is a chance of seeing them.

Meteors belonging to the same shower travel along parallel paths to each other. When they enter the atmosphere, the effect of perspective means that an observer on the ground, looking up, will see meteors that are far away from the radiant (the area from which they radiate out like the spokes on a bike wheel) in Perseus, as long streaks, and the closer they are seen to the radiant, the shorter their trails will appear to be. Meteors seen in the radiant will just be points rather than streaks of light as they are literally coming at you "head on".

Think of a long straight section of railway tracks - they run parallel to each other, but they appear to converge to a point in the distance. It's a similar effect with meteors.

new topics

top topics

join