It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military widens door for dropouts

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Well...at the very least the military can provide job skills training these drop-outs would be lacking in the civilian world.So the recruits would benefit and we would keep our forces more fully staffed.Would they be the best picks available?Probably not but with adequate training and proper self motivation they can surprise people,imho.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Many of you see this as a sign of the apocolypse. I see this as a good thing. Yes the military is stretch to its limit of people. But how can people see education people as a bad thing. I refuse to find fault with people who are willing to serve us with their lives being bettered educationally. If anything should we not want our military to be filled with smarter people who can think for themselves?

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Though, I'm opposed to some of the efforts the administration has gone through in order to carry out their "War on Terror," I'm not necessarily in disagreement with this decision.

Often some troops who didn't have a lot of "book smarts" made excellent soldiers. Some peoples ability to follow simple orders and retain "hands-on" knowledge let them excel in the armed services.

Some people just are not cut out for memorizing facts or calculating equations. Sometimes these are the people who we need out there protecting our liberty, and most times, do the best job at it.

Besides that, it gives thousands of kids who couldn't make it in high school a second chance at a decent career, either in the service or after. A tour in the service says A LOT on a resume and I feel they're better equipped afterwards to hit the work force and live a prosperous life, rather than working a stagnet minimum wage job for the rest of their lives.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Horus8
This has been going on forever, and it needs to stop. This is why we have so many sociopaths in our military that end up raping children and torching their corpses after murdering their family members.

Actually, no, this is not why that stuff happens. That stuff happens because it is human nature to NOT BE PERFECT. Do you know what a criminal looks like? Do you know what a killer looks like? A rapist? NO. Because anyone can be one.

Every single military, and every single human race, has its bad apples. Some apples don't go bad untill you give them an order to run down a street with snipers on it. A "death-death" situation. Lets see how you act when a 60mm bullet wizzes by your ear, or you are faced with situations that look like death may be the outcome.

War makes sociopaths, not droping out of school, or joining the military.

B.T.W. I believe is was a proven fact that the majority of the millionares in USA are high school drop outs and college quiters.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
I have to question their intelligence and their motivation to improve their situation. I am not saying they are stupid, but a person who doesn't at least finish high school has some issues, either intellectually or personally.

You're stereotyping people. That's like saying anyone who listen's to Nine Inch Nails is more likely to commit suicide. People grasp different subjects at various levels. Just because I can't learn to do trig doesn't mean I can't hit a bullseye at 200 yards, or flag a F-22 for take-off.

Successful People with Learning Disabilities

David Boies, a runner-up in 2000 for Time Magazine’s Man of the Year, is a prestigious lawyer involved in high-profile cases.

James Carville, is one of America’s most famous political consultants. According to E. Clarke Ross, CEO of Children and Adults with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (CHADD), “Mr. Carville is perhaps one of the best-known people in Washington, and he lives with AD/HD.” Carville is also an author, restaurateur, and co-host of radio and television shows. Today he concentrates on international political and corporate consulting.

Nelson Rockefeller served as governor of New York for 12 years and as Vice President of the United States under Gerald Ford.

Mod Edit: Reduced External Quote.

[edit on 13/8/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Tyranny, something you are missing. Generally, people with dyslexia have very high IQs

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   
they're taking them cause they don't care.
a round coming out of a dudes M1 that didn't graduate is just as deadly as one from a scholar.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Gazz
Are they joining the service because they care about life and the lives of others, or are they being enticed into the military because they feel or have been led to believe they have few or no other options?

Once again, no one here as far as I can tell, especially myself is questioning the intelligence of anyone who drops out of school, the point I am attempting to make is how recruiters are exploiting some of these troubled youths.

[edit on 12-8-2007 by UM_Gazz]

i'm with ya...thats what is going on..the recruiters are going after what i like to call the 'left behinds'.
that don't mean stupid but it more than likely means low to middle class with nowhere to go.

around here(just wast of cleveland) it's a damn near dead town. it's an old steel town but the steel company has # down. the ford plants are closing and moving to kentucky.
the job opportunities around here are not good and getting worse.
i go to the mall and i see recruiters there all the time, talking to the highschool age kids. all 3 of my brothers are in the service right now. they just got out of highschool and they all enlisted. a recruiter came to their school to talk with them.
now, you head into westlake(closer to cleveland) and go to their mall or the promenade, you are not going to see recruiters there.
those are the high society people...gov don't want them.
gov wants the left behinds

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 02:11 PM
link   

but a person who doesn't at least finish high school has some issues, either intellectually or personally.

why do you say this? jusyt curious.
i dropped out in 10th grade. why do you have to question me dropping out?
highschool blew and there was nothing there for me....

my son is 11. if i have my way, when he is 15-16, he will be taking the equivalency exam to get out of the school system.
i don't see why there a person that don't finish has to have issues.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boondock78

my son is 11. if i have my way, when he is 15-16, he will be taking the equivalency exam to get out of the school system.

That's fine because he will still receive a degree, no? I am talking about people who don't get at least the equivalent to a high school education and try to operate under the assumption that they are going to be able to make it in today's society. It's not going to happen.

Thirty years ago, you could drop out of school and still be able to survive. Try it now. Hell, it's just about to the point to where if you don't have college or trade school behind you, you can't make it.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing, I can see both sides of the argument here.. I've met some SCARY military people that have absolutely no business ever handling a firearm however, and they were from some of the best military schools in the U.S. I lived near a kid that was going to West Point (I believe) when I was studying abroad. He constantly talked about killing people, started fights with everyone and eventually got sent home for beating up and threatening to stab his room mate. He simply couldn't handle the pressure of being in a foreign country that he did not understand. This was an EXTREMELY intelligent person, but he was an absolute child when it came to his emotions and controlling them. I don't know if dumbing down our standards is a good or bad thing, but thinking about this guy as a ranking military decision maker in charge of others in a life or death situation scares the hell out of me. Actually teaching this guy how to kill is madness. I also met an Army ranger once that was bragging about how he had killed 29 people in Afghanistan, I asked him if they were ALL combatants or not and he basically said "I don't know, who cares?" It was disgusting. I think we should at least be looking more closely psychologically at who we give weapons and the power to end life to. I have a huge respect for the men and women in our armed forces, I really do. Some are absolutely crazy though.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 03:54 PM
link   

That's fine because he will still receive a degree, no? I am talking about people who don't get at least the equivalent to a high school education and try to operate under the assumption that they are going to be able to make it in today's society. It's not going to happen.

Thirty years ago, you could drop out of school and still be able to survive. Try it now. Hell, it's just about to the point to where if you don't have college or trade school behind you, you can't make it.

That is sad... Why in the world would you encourage a young person to leave school? You are just getting started at 15-16, this is the time when young people learn the most in my opinion. Around that age is the time you are just beginning to find out what you are good at and when you start thinking about what you want to do with your life.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by andyzero1234
I don't know if dumbing down our standards is a good or bad thing, but thinking about this guy as a ranking military decision maker in charge of others in a life or death situation scares the hell out of me.

Speaking as someone who has actually BEEN in the military, I have to say that it's not a good idea. I spent 3 years in Afghanistan, and I can tell you for a fact that I worried enough as it was with the people I had "protecting my back." I certainly wouldn't want someone who couldn't spell encyclopedia, by my side.

That's just my take on the whole issue. If it offends, I'm sorry..

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 03:57 PM
link   

That is sad... Why in the world would you encourage a young person to leave school? You are just getting started at 15-16, this is the time when young people learn the most in my opinion. Around that age is the time you are just beginning to find out what you are good at and when you start thinking about what you want to do with your life.

It makes no difference how I respond... I can't win here.People who drop out of school are idiots!! Is that better? How would you have had me answer the question that he asked?

[edit on 13-8-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 04:00 PM
link   
From the American Revolution all the way to the Korean war, most American troops and militia did not have a high school degree in their hands when fighting.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I'm sorry Speaker. If you read back I quoted you because I was agreeing with you completely although maybe I should have made that a little more clear. I wouldn't say that 'people who leave school are idiots,' but I do think that it is almost criminal to encourage someone to leave school. Education is perhaps the most important thing in life for personal and professional reasons.

I also agree with you on the other point. I would think that feeling safe amongst your fellow troops in wartime would be the most important thing. Like I said, I think that more stringent psychological profiling might be a good idea for our armed forces.

[edit on 13-8-2007 by andyzero1234]

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 05:33 PM
link   

I certainly wouldn't want someone who couldn't spell encyclopedia, by my side.
That's just my take on the whole issue. If it offends, I'm sorry..

lol
WE NEED BACKUP, NOW, IN BAGHDAD.
WHAT? SPELL IT OUT?!
EH, BRAVO... ECHO? wait no... erm... ALPHA.... CHA... waitno... GOLF! YEAH GOLF!

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 06:20 PM
link   

i simply disagree. i would not disuade my son but i will nto pay for college.
i would rather him go to a trade school.

you can very much make it if you drop out. there are many a college grad, with their degrees sitting on the wall, working at mcnasty

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 06:22 PM
link   

That is sad... Why in the world would you encourage a young person to leave school?

^^^^cause the education system is corrupt and inept, and i want my kid(s) around that as little as possible.

You are just getting started at 15-16, this is the time when young people learn the most in my opinion.

^^^exactly. i want them to learn stuff that will actually help them through real life. not what the school thinks is heavy learning. they learn crap in school.

Around that age is the time you are just beginning to find out what you are good at and when you start thinking about what you want to do with your life.

^^^i agree and thats why i want my kid(s) out as early as possible.

andyzero*, school is not the only place to get an education.
great i don't need your approval.

speaker, does it matter how great a person can spell in war?

[edit on 13-8-2007 by Boondock78]

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Boondock, No offense, but how do you know "the education system is corrupt" if you dropped out in the 10th grade? Don't knock it until you've tried it I always say. 9 times out of 10, the more education you have the better you will do in professional life. Why is school not a good thing? I really hate to point out the glaring irony of you bashing education and at the same time not spelling or constructing sentences correctly but... there it is.

And I think what Speaker was implying that the smarter a person is, the more effective he is in war. Education improves the decision making process, that is why it is important to know how to spell even if you don't necessarily need to in combat. I think that this is why the training a person gets in the military is so valued in civilian life. The rub comes when you have illiterate people who maybe didn't have the discipline to get through school handling weapons and making dumb decisions. Imagine if the people making our smart bombs couldn't spell, or calculate. We'd have a very dangerous situation.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join