It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military widens door for dropouts

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I cannot believe how ignorant some of you people are. God forbid someone actually cared enough about their life and the lives of others that he/she joined the military. But as soon as you hear that they were high school dropouts you instantly equate them to criminals and other sub-human type qualities. The military likes to pride itself on giving EVERYONE a fair and equal opportunity and to provides them with PLENTY of programs that help cover the cost of college should they want to pursue it. Just because someone is a drop out doesnt make them any less of a person.

Also, please don't knock the recruiters. They have a really REALLY tough job. It's not as easy you all make it out to be. A lot the people they try to put in can't even join due to some medical reason that they have or something. And it IS hard to put a drop out into the military. I know all of this because my dad was a recruiter for the Navy for 4 years. He said that was one of the toughest jobs he's ever had. My Dad is a respectable man. I don't like it when people trash the recruiters for doing their job because most of the recruiters were like my dad, Good men with good morals. There ARE however recruiters who are bad apples and will lie and cheat just to get a person in, but they do get caught and they do get punished.

A lot of you like to find every single bad thing about the military and post it on here and then claim that they're all evil and etc. I realize this is a conspiracy website and it's going to have a bias against the military, but I want you all to realize there is MUCH MUCH MORE to the military than you all like to focus on.

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I just wanted to expound on a couple things that were running through my head while reading this thread.
The issue of getting the best and brightest from what the country has to offer is a good idea. There are more reasons than can be counted as to why a young person may not be very successful in school. My wife teaches primary school; she will tell you, more often than not it is the child’s home life that determines scholastic success. Given that type of situation, if a young man or woman can pass a GED then go to boot and graduate boot. Then good on them. By the way, one of the reasons folks go to boot camp is to teach them all the skills they need to be successful.
In truth, I don't think it's a bad idea for all young men and women to serve in the military and or in some public service for a determined amount of time. This kind of thing is done in several countries through out the world. It is a good place to make the transition from young man or woman, who may be a little immature, to a productive adult.
I have two children, and would have no problem with them serving the country I call home. Conscription doesn’t have to be a bad thing. I realize that I may be alone in this idea, but that’s what makes this country great. I have the right to be wrong.
At any rate, there are those folks who aren’t as smart as others, and others who are smarter than most. And that’s okay, because we all should serve our country.
Here’s a pro that I think is good example. Think of all the 18 to 20 year old kids out there, and yes they are kids, who because of what ever situation are unable to over come their plight. Their potential is wasting away for lack of a chance or resources. Their education was not a quality education, doesn’t mean they’re stupid. In fact I have meet some really smart folks that didn’t have a high school diploma. In fact some of those folks have made good in this world. Had the chance to better themselves and took it.
Another pro - being that no one is exempt from this service, even the young men and women who had a better education and more resources have an opportunity to serve in some fashion. Through their service to the public at large, they gain a better understanding of what it means to live in this country.
This kind of thing can bring a common thread of connection through out the country. Everyone having similar experiences and expectations. It would have a unifying effect.
I am not talking out my butt about this. Singapore has something like this, where 18 to 20 year old kids serve in one form or fashion. They are given a choice between several options like: fire fighter, police man, or even in the military. Once they have served their term, they can either choose to stay in that position or get out.
I am sure there are plenty of con’s out there and a list of reasons a mile long why it wouldn’t or couldn’t work, but I think the pro’s far out way the con’s

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by High Five
I cannot believe how ignorant some of you people are. God forbid someone actually cared enough about their life and the lives of others that he/she joined the military. But as soon as you hear that they were high school dropouts you instantly equate them to criminals and other sub-human type qualities.

Are they joining the service because they care about life and the lives of others, or are they being enticed into the military because they feel or have been led to believe they have few or no other options?

Once again, no one here as far as I can tell, especially myself is questioning the intelligence of anyone who drops out of school, the point I am attempting to make is how recruiters are exploiting some of these troubled youths.

And please show us where anyone compared these drop outs to criminals and other sub-human type qualities.

[edit on 12-8-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Gazz

Once again, no one here as far as I can tell, especially myself is questioning the intelligence of anyone who drops out of school, the point I am attempting to make is how recruiters are exploiting some of these troubled youths.

I have to question their intelligence and their motivation to improve their situation. I am not saying they are stupid, but a person who doesn't at least finish high school has some issues, either intellectually or personally.

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
I have to question their intelligence and their motivation to improve their situation. I am not saying they are stupid, but a person who doesn't at least finish high school has some issues, either intellectually or personally.

Perhaps that is the exact same line of thinking these military recruiters have, and why they are seeking out these people, offering them a way out. An education and opportunities they may not otherwise have. Right or wrong, I suppose that makes sense form a recruiter's perspective. Forget a just war, God and Country, fighting for freedom, when most of the nation and a great deal of the world are opposed to this current war in many aspects, recruiting strategies and tactics have to change I suppose.

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Speaker
Let's try to avoid unsubstantiated blanket statements. I left High School early to go to college and never graduated; everyone leaves for a different reason.

Shed your assumptions?

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Hmm let’s see, the military gives some dropouts, who most likely either have no purpose in life, or are stuck in an endless loop of no hope like so many others who are stuck on welfare generation after generation, some pride in completing a GED.

Then they get some good core values instilled into them, and handed some responsibility (most likely the first time in their lives) while continuing to build not only their skills in the job they perform, but also formal education, leadership, management, and social skills. Then after their commitment is up they are handed 40k to further their higher education while now having the maturity and aspirations to do it.

Damn, that military is terrible…

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Xtrozero they get all of that?

Simply amazing isn't it?

What is perhaps even more amazing is that the military has to offer all of this to those who need it most simply to put more troops on the ground in the war on terror. Speaks volumes about this war, patriotism, love of country and all that rot, no?

apc

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
Speaker
Let's try to avoid unsubstantiated blanket statements. I left High School early to go to college and never graduated; everyone leaves for a different reason.

As did I. Dropped out at 16 and got my GED so I could go straight to college. I was thinking about the military until Bush took office. Then I knew we'd be back in Iraq. However at the time of my consideration I was a network administrator for a local ISP... not exactly a troubled youth (lie).

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Gazz
Xtrozero they get all of that?

Simply amazing isn't it?

What is perhaps even more amazing is that the military has to offer all of this to those who need it most simply to put more troops on the ground in the war on terror. Speaks volumes about this war, patriotism, love of country and all that rot, no?

Actually "all of this" been around a long time before the war (25+ years). BTW the Military is reducing its over all manning. As example the Air Force has the least numbers of troops in its ranks since 1947, the start of the Air force, and they are still reducing another 20% in the next few years.

The war has increased signup bonuses though, but there are a large number of jobs and skills in the military that do not go into battle, and you get to pick your job. Now if you want to be a Ranger then that is great, but don't complain when your ask to do a Ranger's job.

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 07:45 PM
link   
the air force has the blue to green program....it's reducing it's manning and adding to the army... in order to pay for the technology it keeps buying....

alot of the guys i work with have done drugs and have a minimal criminal background..(something like criminal mischief).....and i'd say a good half...(in my job not the entire air force) are college drop outs due to money situations.....and a couple only have GEDs

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 08:24 PM
link   
The US Military has the best and the brightest, no doubt. Don't question the people, question the teaching.

High School these days is out of control. To many kids in small classrooms, to many destractions and friends in the same classrooms, so many classes in such a small amount of time, and just horrible lazy teachers that would rather hand out homework than teach in class. Instead of teaching, they just give out assignments that the kids have to go home and learn to do on their own. It defeats the purpous of even going to school, when most of your time learning is at home with homework. Half the stuff they teach they can't use in the real world anyway. They don't teach you how to live. How to get a job and balance a checkbook and buy a house. They are too busy teaching theorys that haven't been proven.

The military is different. The teach you how to groom yourself, keep yourself healthy, survive in high stress enviornments, and how to adapt to anything. Then, they teach you a profession. They don't teach like high school teachers, they teach like mentors. Straight to the point, solid no BS information.

Don't question the soldiers, dont question the military, question the damn high schools. They are pathetic.

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 08:52 PM
link   
In order to attract more recruits the US military should pay its personal at above market rates in the respective fields and US political leaders need to ensure that decent health care is available for veterans who need it as well as the likes of Education benefits. People that require medication to control an illness or disorder should never be able to serve in the US military because circumstances could arise where a persons supply of medication could be cut off.
For example if a suffer of diabetes(SP?) was unable to get there supply of insulin(SP?) they could die. People with illness and disability's can still serve there country but the option of military service isnt an option.

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by wenfieldsecret
the air force has the blue to green program....it's reducing it's manning and adding to the army... in order to pay for the technology it keeps buying....

alot of the guys i work with have done drugs and have a minimal criminal background..(something like criminal mischief).....and i'd say a good half...(in my job not the entire air force) are college drop outs due to money situations.....and a couple only have GEDs

The blue to green program is for Air force members whose career fields are reduced and they do not want to train into another career field, so if they want they can go into the Army or get out (a volunteer move). I think this has mainly affected officers since a bunch are being forced out due to over recruiting a few years back, and so they can either get out or cross over to the Army.

Actually the Air Force is stepping up their education program with plans to have all enlisted aquire a AA degree by the 6 to 8 year point and to have a requirement for a four year degree for the upper 3 enlisted ranks. Officers must have their masters done by about the 12 year mark.

The Air Force still has zero tolerance for drugs, in that if you get caught with them or come up positive on any of the many random piss tests you are out very quickly. There might be a onetime use of pot that will allow you to still enter the Air Force, but not much more than that.

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 11:05 PM
link   
my career hasnt had the airforce reduction slice thru it yet....the one person we had go from blue to green....was....different....and i dont know the entire story as to why he was getting out in the first place....

the air force just recently launched it's bachelors program....

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 12:24 AM
link   
This has been going on forever, and it needs to stop. This is why we have so many sociopaths in our military that end up raping children and torching their corpses after murdering their family members. And this is why Abu Ghraib went done, and why less and less people abroad respect our military.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Horus8
This has been going on forever, and it needs to stop. This is why we have so many sociopaths in our military that end up raping children and torching their corpses after murdering their family members. And this is why Abu Ghraib went done, and why less and less people abroad respect our military.

Are you saying that someone who does not graduate school is a sociopath?

Or are you saying that those who did not graduate join and get their GED are a sociopath?

A little more clarity in your post might help me with this idea and line of thought. At this moment it seems you link not graduating to a life a crime and being mentally ill. Perhaps maybe I am misreading your post; if that is the case I apologize.

Raist

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Bush's new War Adviser Lt.Gen.Douglas Lute has stated its time to start considering restoring the Draft.
Would 'Draft Dodger Bush' have the nerve to try this?

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
I really don't see a problem with this. The military has always taken recruits with GED's, simply helping the recruits get that GED really isn't such a bad thing. And I'd honestly prefer to have drop-outs out there learning values and skills rather than out on the streets.

Hmmm...I've never really thought of shooting and bombing people as 'values and skills' to be honest. The military (of any country) has always seemed to me the ideal place for misfits, psychotics, social outcasts and the educationally challenged - and has always attracted such types by the boatload. Interact with military types in any country you care to name, and you'll find plenty of them. Why should high school drop-outs be discriminated against by any military. Hey, beggars can't be choosers..

J.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muffinresearch
Bush's new War Adviser Lt.Gen.Douglas Lute has stated its time to start considering restoring the Draft.
Would 'Draft Dodger Bush' have the nerve to try this?

That is currently being discussed Here
Let us stay on topic

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join