It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Italy Probe Unearths Huge Iraq Arms Deal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Italy Probe Unearths Huge Iraq Arms Deal

www.washingtonpost.com

As the secretive, $40 million deal neared completion, Italian authorities moved in, making arrests and breaking it up. But key questions remain unanswered.

For one thing, The Associated Press has learned that Iraqi government officials were involved in the deal, apparently without the knowledge of the U.S. Baghdad command _ a departure from the usual pattern of U.S.-overseen arms purchases.

Why these officials resorted to "black" channels and where the weapons were headed is unclear.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
US cannot account for 190,000 guns in Iraq: report

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I am still reading the article but it reminded me of the missing arms thread from ATS, (link below), I wonder if these weapons could be part of this arms selling scheme.

Disturbing as this story is, it is not surprising in the least and I honestly do not know how this type of activity can be curtailed in this chaotic region.

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

The USA Today has the same article but includes some good sidebar info on the situation of arms trafficking find it HERE

[edit on 2007/8/12 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I just made the same thread as you but I guess I was a few minutes late and they closed it. The story is very interesting. This part disturbed me:

For one thing, The Associated Press has learned that Iraqi government officials were involved in the deal, apparently without the knowledge of the U.S. Baghdad command — a departure from the usual pattern of U.S.-overseen arms purchases.

Why these officials resorted to "black" channels and where the weapons were headed is unclear.

The rest of the article on Yahoo! News can be seen here:
Operation Parabellum

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Seems to me that the Iraqis were planning to start a major operation to attack U.S. forces and try to force us out. How many other deals like this are in the works?

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I don't think it is an attempt to channel arms to attack the US and force us out of there.

More likely, it is a money grab by those who know that we will be leaving on our own accord in the near future and trying to secure their financial ability to set up a new life in an exile country.

As one of our own members, who is serving the US in the area said.....

The Iraqi Army in the AO I'm in, are afraid to go out by themselves, ie no Americans around. If we were to leave any of the out posts, they would beat us back to our own FOBs. No joke, it has happened already, none of them want us to leave yet. They are composed of people who are so indoctrinatred towards dictatorship, that doing anything is not considered. they are just too used to being dominated by former Leaders and lap dogs of said leader/s.
link

Though our distinguished member still has high hopes and good intentions,
I as a veteran, having served in the region in Desert Shield/Storm, find little to be hopeful for as the very gov't we suppport and nurture, turns to black market arms dealing to line their pockets with the blood of our coalitions' fighting men and women.

I think that 4 + years of effort should have given those who seek freedom in Iraq, the "BRASS" to risk their own in support.

Three years ago I would have never said this....

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME !!!!

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 10:00 PM
link   
But, but...aren't all those claims by some people that the U.S. owns and conquered Iraq not true?...

I am sure some people will try to claim "the U.S. knew it and was behind it"....

[edit on 12-8-2007 by Muaddib]

new topics

top topics

join