It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientist makes dire earthquake prediction

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Scientist makes dire earthquake prediction

www.latimes.com

RANCHO MIRAGE, Calif. -- Sandwiched between the powerful San Andreas and San Jacinto faults, the Coachella Valley could be the epicenter of the most devastating earthquake in the country, one that is already 300 years overdue, a government scientist warned Thursday."There will be several thousand dead and billions of dollars in damage," said Lucy Jones, a seismologist at the U.S. Geological Survey and a member of the California Seismic Safety Commission.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.greatdreams.com
pasadena.wr.usgs.gov

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 11:02 AM
link   
We have been hearing for years about the "big one" that is supposed to strike the west coast. Obviously there is some real reason for concern. Indeed the damage would be on a scale that us here in the U.S have never witnessed. The economic damage as well as the displacement of millions of people could be a if not the breaking point of this countries will. I hope everyone is taking the nessecary precautions and measures. It's not a matter of IF but WHEN. I wouldn't mind hearing what the other members of ATS living on the west coast are doing to prepare for survival in the case when thius happens.

www.latimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Yeah, I guess the "when" question is suspected to be anywheres from 20 to 50 years from now, but it could happen tonight as well... The report I watched on discovery channel I think it was also mentioned that this tremor could last for several minutes compared to the usual several seconds that they usually last...

The report was also concerned about the crazy expansion of L.A. eastbound into the Coachella Valley. A large part of the valley could be heavily populated and "urbanized" in 20 years, making this situation that much more catastrophic.

An interesting note from the discovery report was that they said that damage amounts will depend on which way the majority of the force emanates from the epicenter. The damage will be severe if the force goes northwest along the faultline, but if it goes southeast along the fault then L.A. wont be as effected as the area around Mexicali. There are around 2 million people in and around the Mexicali area.

join