It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Slang lands Aussie in bind

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Time to listen to the Podcast... How to speak Australian - better get the Flight Attendants to listen to this!!

How To Speak Australian - A Guide For Yanks and Canucks

AN Australian woman thought she was cactus when a hostie got her back up over some classic Aussie slang during a flight in the US.

"Fair dinkum," NSW woman Sophie Reynolds muttered when told by a air hostess that there were no pretzels for her to snack on.

The next thing Reynolds knew, the flight crew had demanded her passport to note down her details, telling her that swearing at attendants was a crime.

The 41-year-old, who lives in Queanbeyan, near Canberra, was stunned to find three uniformed officers waiting for her when she left the flight in the city of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

"They said: `You swore at the hostess and there are federal rules against that'," Reynolds told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

"And I said: `I did not swear at the hostess, I just said `fair dinkum'."

more here

wow, overzealous Flight Attendants again!!

since when has ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffair dinkum been a swear word?

What a numbnut!! Really... it doesn't even sound malicious.

oh and I hope I have posted this in the right section????

[edit on 12-8-2007 by Thurisaz]

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Fortunatly I used to watch Mark Little on the Big Brekkie (On Channel 4 in the UK) when I was a nipper.

So comments like "Don't come the raw prawn with me mate" and "you got snags" are like water off a ducks back to me mate.

Anyhow...

What ya favourite colour Blue?

MonKey

new topics

join