It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lutherans to allow pastors in gay relationships

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Lutherans to allow pastors in gay relationships

news.yahoo.com

Homosexual Lutheran clergy who are in sexual relationships will be able to serve as pastors, the largest U.S. Lutheran body said on Saturday.
The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) passed a resolution at its annual assembly urging bishops to refrain from disciplining pastors who are in "faithful committed same-gender relationships."

The resolution passed by a vote of 538-431
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 08:16 AM
link   
this is awesome...they have been letting homosexuals serve as pastors before as long as they were not in a 'sexual relationship'....look like not it don't matter.

i think this is FANTASTIC.....absolutely anything that will erode this type of religious tradition(excluding homosexuals from EVERYTHING save for hell) will help us advance as a species.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 08:38 AM
link   
THanks for posting this, Boondock. I agree with you completely. This is pretty momentous, as the Lutherans are rather conservative, IIRC.

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Lutherans..Are'ntt hey the ones who's beliefs are founded From Martin Luther doing
something radical and going against the Catholic church back in the day?

I just thought I'd point that out since this is doing the same thing, just a 21st century
version of it.

Anyways, I'm glad to see another large religious group stop discriminating against
people just because some obscure passage in an old and (anything that was created
after the initial copies) unreliable book.

[edit on 8/12/2007 by iori_komei]

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
Anyways, I'm glad to see another large religious group stop discriminating against
people just because some obscure passage in an old and (anything that was created
after the initial copies) and unreliable book.

i don't know anything about th ehistory behind lutherans.....i'm with you on that part though^^^^^^

all i really care about

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 08:48 AM
link   
well when I first read the title I was like wooop wooop!!

I had just finished reading someone's opinion that claimed there were too many Christian fundies in Parliament and the problem with that was, in her mind, that the fundies did not keep up with contemporary issues.

well, wow... perhaps they need more Lutherans in Parliament?

Either way, anything to do with bringing sexuality out into the open is a good thing, very progressive.

But, would I allow my Son to go to Sunday School to be taught by a Homosexual Minister? No!... but, then I wouldn't let him in cooeee of any church where all the sick repressed paedophiles are just waiting for the opportunity to molest my children.

Would I allow my children to be taught at school by a Homosexual, yeah, no probs but he aint taking my kids camping!!!! or on any School excursions, for that matter.

Its all good, bring it out in the open but allow me to bring my issues out in the open too and don't spit forth some discrimination crap.

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thurisaz
Would I allow my children to be taught at school by a Homosexual, yeah, no probs but he aint taking my kids camping!!!! or on any School excursions, for that matter.

Its all good, bring it out in the open but allow me to bring my issues out in the open too and don't spit forth some discrimination crap.

it is good to bring this in the open but as far as the school trip deal, do you ask their sexual orientation before?
i don't see the big deal...
homosexuality does not mean they are going to 'go after' the kids.
when people stop thinking this way, it will be great.

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Boondock78
.....absolutely anything that will erode this type of religious tradition(excluding homosexuals from EVERYTHING save for hell) will help us advance as a species.

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by rocknroll

.....absolutely anything that will erode this type of religious tradition(excluding homosexuals from EVERYTHING save for hell) will help us advance as a species.

Care to actually give an opinion, rather than just post an inordinate amount of emoticons.

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Lutheran church in Sweden is actually about to start wedding gay couples. Lutherianism is probably one of the "leanest" forms of christianity. And it's generally concidered as non-intrusive. Majority of lutherians in Northern Europe (area is majorly Lutherian) are very secular and habit members of the church (like myself).

Wiki article on Lutherians

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by rocknroll

Care to actually give an opinion, rather than just post an inordinate amount of emoticons.

Yes, please. That comment by itself is just obnoxious and rather immature.

Please give us some insight into your beliefs on the subject.
Although I am pretty sure I know what they are.

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Well thats just great! I for one find this disturbing to say the least. No im not a homophobe because nothing about them scares me I just dont like it!

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Well, you can accept homosexuals as clergy all you want but please just don't call yourself a Christian anymore. If you can justify acceptance of something as strongly and unequivocally condemned as homosexuality in the Bible, you can justify anything. Paul, who has from the beginning of the Christian faith been accepted as authoritative as Christ, strongly condemns homosexuality in many of his writings. If anyone rejects these teachings, they could on the same grounds reject any teachings they dislike because they are no longer following the Bible.

This is just another gloomy milestone on the road to doing whatever the hell you want.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
Well, you can accept homosexuals as clergy all you want but please just don't call yourself a Christian anymore.

Agree 100%

This is just another gloomy milestone on the road to doing whatever the hell you want.

Sad and true.

Before calling me a "homophobe" let me say this...

It really doesn´t matter who you choose to accept as a "life partner." We love those who we love, and we can´t change that. But in this push to become "modern" we have lost a sense of who we are and what we are about. (IMO) It´s like "since we are modern, everything MUST be allowed, as if it isn´t we are following the ways of old, and FORBID such to happen!"

Homosexuality isn´t openly accepted in any semetic religion. Be it Judaism, Christianity or Islam. And for people to call us then "homophobic" because we don´t agree with it because of our faith and personal beliefs sould also consider our right to believe what we want to. It´s our right, just like it´s your right to be homosexual. I wouldn´t want to try to force you NOT to be gay, as I hope you won´t force me from my beliefs.

Just my 0.2

FK

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Well, you can accept homosexuals as clergy all you want but please just don't call yourself a Christian anymore.

Christianity is about accepting Jesus Christ as ones lord and Saviour and loving all people.
Who the clergy are has nothing to do with it, as long as they accept the above.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Christianity is about accepting Jesus Christ as ones lord and Saviour and loving all people.

good post...

to the above few that don't agree, well, how far do you suppose we should go back?
i mean, religion is different in it's views and acceptance than it was 50 years ago, 100 years ago, 1,000 years ago....so, how far back would make you happy.?

no shellfish? no work on sunday?
stoning people?

how far.....

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Great news!

" For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses."
(Matthew 6:14,15)

indeed
and that's what the Bible is all about

[edit on 13-8-2007 by infinite]

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Although I left Christianity about 7 years ago, I must say it's refreshing to see someone who actually gets it.

Why people are so concerned with who someone has consensual sex with, I'll never understand.

If gay people were going to be humanity's undoing and the bringer of the apocalypse, then shouldn't it have happened in ancient Greece & Rome where homosexuality and bisexuality were very common and accepted?

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by HeadFirstForHalos

Although I left Christianity about 7 years ago, I must say it's refreshing to see someone who actually gets it.

Why people are so concerned with who someone has consensual sex with, I'll never understand.

i have never been christian but it is nice to see some christians that do get it...

i don't understand why people care about others sexual preferences but hey, when you follow a book, you must feel how it tells you to feel....
even in this thread with little replies people can not even agree. we have some that say christianity is about taking god as your savior and loving your fellow man, but others up early in the thread said they can not call themselves christians if they allow homosexuals to be a pastor...

i just want to know why even the religious folk can't agree...

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 01:56 PM
link   

i just want to know why even the religious folk can't agree...

Man, the answer to that one has been sought for millenia. For the hard core, and this is merely my opinion, it's about a feeling of moral superiority. Which Jesus didn't teach at all.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join