It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bear Grylls at it again??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 06:42 PM
link   
IT was billed as one of Bear Grylls’s most audacious challenges yet. The Eton-educated television adventurer had to escape an active volcano in the Pacific by leaping across molten lava and avoiding clouds of “killer” gas.

entertainment.timesonline.co.uk...

Is there nothing this man wont do for money.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Apparently he won't sleep in anything other than a hotel at night or make his shows authentic. Man vs. Wild sucks, Survivorman is the real deal.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Yeah, G4 had a blurb on this yesterday showing the camera panning away revealing the nearby highway and lots of traffic and a staff member walking around on the same dangerous turf.

Guess he won't be doing a second season, heh.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 06:18 PM
link   
It doesn't stop there my friends...

Latest TV fake scenes: 'Grizzly attack' on survival show was man in fancy-dress bear costume

I know there was something strange about this show when I saw him demonstrating his survival skills by jumping naked into ice cold water in the French Alps episode. I have forgotten why he did it but, it somehow doesn't seem logical...

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I heard this man was once in the SAS *saturday and sunday* SAS now dont get me wrong respect.

But should you advertise such thing's even if it was the T.A part of the british armed force's ?

I think the only thing bear could defend would be the ashtray factory he is indeed a faux presenter.

I would go with good old Ray Mears any day of the week.

Regard's
Lee

[edit on 15-8-2007 by h3akalee]

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Yea this guy is a fake. I also prefer to watch Les Stroud on survivor man.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Google Video Link

hahahahahahahaha!!!

hahaha!!!

hahah!!!

What a turd!

[edit on 8/15/2007 by DezertSkies]

Source

The white clouds of poisonous “sulphur dioxide” that billowed around the former SAS explorer were, in fact, harmless vapour created by smoke machines. And according to insiders, the red glow of the molten magma which he warned could incinerate him “in seconds” was supplemented by burning hot coals brought in by members of the production team.

[edit on 8/15/2007 by DezertSkies]

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by h3akalee

I would go with good old Ray Mears any day of the week.
Regard's
Lee
[edit on 15-8-2007 by h3akalee]

AHH Ray Mears a really nice bloke. Im a bit confused as to how someone who lives off the land is so chubby but hey he probably likes his MarsBars

For our US friends do a search for Ray Mears and you will be enightened. Hes aman for all tastes. Did a great programme with an American Indian about building a canoe form tree bark, as well asmany many other things.

If you see a prog of his advertised it is a must see, He makes Bear Grylls look like a hairdresser.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I have to concour with others here that Survivorman is the much better show and I'm glad a new season is finally underway. I was beginning to think he didn't survive one of the outings. Bear is a joke and loves the camera and showing off stuff we would never try in a survival situation.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Who cares which show is better. Both are mindless entertainment.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Since we've branched out to talking about other survivalists, I must say I was very impressed with Les Stroud's latest, with him surviving 7 days in the Kalahari Desert.

Temperatures reached 140 deg F in the sun and close to 100 F in the shade.

He talked about feeling that he was being cooked, and feeling the waves of heat washing over him, even at night, mentioning that the first or second night was by far the hardest he'd ever endured.

I also have to applaud him for doing his survival 'as is', surviving on what happened to be in the truck. One item he couldn't even use (the jelly was too sugary).

To top it off he had to decide when to break camp and waited until he was getting severe headaches from the dehydration, going without water for about 48 hours, then chose to walk for 2 hours to get to the safety camp.

Given that he could have called it off at any time, I'm just in awe of his determination and endurance to make the full 7 days, even though he was also fighting a head cold.

I'd like to see a 'Survive Off' with Les, Bear, and whomever else wanted to join in. That would be a good way to see just how tough some of these guys are, especially given that this would certainly provide some additional motivation!

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernDystopia
Who cares which show is better. Both are mindless entertainment.

And whats wrong with a bit of mindless entertainment or would you rather have everyone watching the 9 O Clock news 24 hours a day or not be able to laugh, dream a little and escape this humdrum life for an hour or two.

Im now of to midlessly make a cup of tea while mindlessly listening to Radio 2.

Mindlessly yours
Chorlton

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 11:33 AM
link   
It's entertaining, but hardly mindless. I could take info that I learned from either guy (whether bear is BS or not) and use it for my own survival. That's useful, and entertaining.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
It's entertaining, but hardly mindless. I could take info that I learned from either guy (whether bear is BS or not) and use it for my own survival. That's useful, and entertaining.

And herein lies the danger, people think that bear is giving info on how to survive, more like he's demonstrating how to panic and run. What he does isn't survival, more like adventure racing. He gives little in the way of details on survival methods and spends most of his time with the drama.

Here's a word of advice, don't take BG's advice. Pay attention to Mears and Stroud but when it comes yo BG, he's like the steve-o of "survival".

Discovery is considering yanking his show, and they should before his "survival advice" causes someone to die.

I suspect his show is a psy-op meant to keep the frightened and feeble away from nature. I know a lot of people now have a misconception of nature due to his sillyassed antics. First of all, man VS wild, the title illustrates this point, representing a battle against nature rather than any sort of coexistence with nature. Already this is planting the seed subconsciously that nature is your enemy should you be surrounded by it. Doing crazy stuff like jumping in icy water or eating elephant poo convey the message that survival requires "superhuman" feats and inconvenience, thereby scaring most fully domesticated humans into fearing contact with nature. These people would promptly report to the detainment facility and recieve their barcode if/when that day arrives. The group that's motivated by this kind of excrement will be the ones who will take the advice if their hero BG and try to do what he does, only to find out that climbing down a waterfall without lots of climbing practice will result in trying to survive with broken bones. The turds who try to slide down hills blind like he seems to do and run abd jump like he's being chased by rabid zombie dobermans will end up in a splattered heap in the bottom of some canyon, and there's no need to take up precious detainment space, they'll take care of themselves.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   
That's a pretty good call that BG's show is more like adventure racing.

What I heard was that they did two versions of the show initially, one a straight survival show and one where he chose risky, dangerous and silly methods.

The audience received the silly, risky humorous versions much better so they decided to go that route.

I'd think that for most, it was pretty obvious - what with the chomping into raw, living salmon with his bared teeth, and diving into contaminated waters into a deadfall and having to chimney back out.

Did anyone see him do the show about volunteering to be in the French Foreign Legion? That one was a hoot, too.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
I also agree with this.

I am no real fan of T.V. but I do try to watch both from time to time just to see what they encounter. And regardless of if they do/don't actually sleep in the wild once the camera is off, there are still many valuable survival lessons to be learned while the said camera is rolling.

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Bear Grylls is ridiculous. Anyone who has even read the first chapter to any survival handbook will tell you so. The first rule of survival is stop, sit down, take an inventory of your equipment/supplies, orient yourself and then formulate a plan.

Les Stroud is awesome, his info is great and his traps and shelters always look picture perfect, watching him set a figure 4 deadfall was pretty funny but he managed to do it. I've also found a few good videos online as well. If BG was SAS then he obviously didn't read the SAS manual as it expressly tells you not to do 90% of what he does.

Someone told me the other day that Grylls drank his own urine. There's a great way to kill yourself in the wild. So is jumping into frozen water, sliding down a mountain, eating random uncooked bugs, drinking unpurified water, tiring yourself out by running around like a maniac, not building a shelter, not making a fire, sleeping on the naked ground, the list goes on.

BG is BS.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 12:38 PM
link   
i really liked the episode where he climbed up the waterfall . i was saying if this guy survives to next season it would be amazing. i am waiting for the expert in back of camera to give him wrong advice on edible plant and he gets poisoned.

new topics

top topics

join