It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lion Mummy Unearthed in Egypt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I have no idea why this has not been reported until now but in 2001 the remains of a lion were excavated.

news.yahoo.com

A research team led by French archaeologist Alain Zivie found the lion's remains in 2001 as they excavated the tomb of Maia, wet nurse to Tutankhamun, or King Tut, the "boy king" popular with museum visitors today for his opulent gold funeral relics.

"It confirms the status of the lion as a sacred animal," Zivie reported in Thursday's issue of the journal Nature.

Inscriptions in ancient Egypt mention the breeding and burial of lions, but no lion remains previously had been found, said Zivie, who is with the French Archaeological Mission of the Bubasteion.

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 06:05 PM
link   
doesnt really suprise me seeing as lions are native to africa... and the fact the egyptians idolised cats just make it more locical... lions begin big cats and all... i'm actually suprised there havn been more found

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by specialasianX
doesnt really suprise me seeing as lions are native to africa... and the fact the egyptians idolised cats just make it more locical... lions begin big cats and all... i'm actually suprised there havn been more found

That could be because they were sacred. They are not going to mummify every lion they come across. Just 1 or 2 for a specfic event.(ritual)

new topics

join