It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Bush Proposes to send man to Moon by 2015

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 01:27 PM
link   
President Bush stated on Wednesday that the USA would send a manned mission to the moon by 2015 to setup a permanent base.

The President also stated that the US will withdraw from the International Space Station and retire the shuttle fleet by 2010. According to the plan probes, landers, and other unmanned missions will begin to explore the lunar surface, to prepare for the manned mission, no later than 2008. Once the permanent base has been established it will be used as a springboard to Mars because of the lesser gravity of the Moon.

The cost of the plan for the next 5 years is 12 billion dollars. This means that even if he wins a second term his successors will be responsible for coming up with the res of the money for a program the could eventually run into the hundred of billions of dollars.

news.yahoo.com

"It's time for America to take the next step" in space exploration, said Bush, who spoke 32 years after the American Apollo program last landed astronauts on the moon. He drew applause from NASA employees when he outlined a timetable that would put the first human trip to Mars well into the century. Robotic craft would be sent there first, he said, but exploration wouldn't end there.

"We need to see and examine and touch for ourselves, and only human beings are capable of adapting to the inevitable uncertainties posed by space flight," the president said.

"Mankind is drawn to the heavens for the same reason we were once drawn to unknown lands and across the open sea," Bush said "We choose to explore space because doing so improves our lives and lifts our national spirit. So let us continue the journey."

Also NASA will build a new CEV "Crew Exploration Vehicle" that will first be used to transport people to the International Space Station and later to the Moon.

[Edited on 14-1-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 03:06 PM
link   
He/They want to colonize the moon so they can send all the criminals and undesirables up there. (That's what I got listening to some goons talking about it on Charlie Rose.)

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I'm curious about the shuttle replacement, CEV. Knowing the extreme lag between developement and disclosure of military craft, I wonder what propulsion system/technology this thing is going to use and how far along it really is.

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Members:

Am I the only one who felt that President Bush's plan to send Astronauts to the Moon and then to Mars has a distinct feeling that ONE of these events HAS NOT YET occured?

Such statements as "mapping of the Lunar surface, sending un-manned probes prior to the manned lunar landinng" and so on. If an actual Lunar Manned Landing were to occur by 2020 , it would have been over a half-century since the purported "first landing". I still think that there never was a real, true and actual landing as we were told and shown.

Get a copy of President Bush's recent statement regarding a manned lunar landing and see if you too feel
there is something strange about it.

Comments:

USAFSS-SP (Oldgi-US)

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by USAFSS-SP
Members:

Am I the only one who felt that President Bush's plan to send Astronauts to the Moon and then to Mars has a distinct feeling that ONE of these events HAS NOT YET occured?

Such statements as "mapping of the Lunar surface, sending un-manned probes prior to the manned lunar landinng" and so on. If an actual Lunar Manned Landing were to occur by 2020 , it would have been over a half-century since the purported "first landing". I still think that there never was a real, true and actual landing as we were told and shown.

Get a copy of President Bush's recent statement regarding a manned lunar landing and see if you too feel
there is something strange about it.

Comments:

USAFSS-SP (Oldgi-US)

You know I have not thought about that until now but, that is a very astute observation.

The only reason I could think of for sending un-manned missions to the moon first would be as safety precautions due to the Columbia inquiry other than that it seems quite strange.

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Nothing strange, the moon landing hoax has been debugged along time ago.........but if you want to believe we didn't land, more power to ya'.

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I think he wants to colonize the moon because he has given up on Earth. Come on now, there's arsenic in the water, no clean air act, dropping bombs all over the place. I mean, why trash the hotel room if you're not checking out in the morning?

[Edited on 1/16/04 by NotTooHappy]

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 10:17 PM
link   
First illegal aliens, now space aliens.

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 10:25 PM
link   
You mean we are going to the Moon?

-Troy

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Anybody that disputes that the US didn't go the first time needs to use the ATS 'search' function because that "myth" has been discredited and debunked so many times that its really not funny anymore.

As to the article:
The US/Bush has, maybe, lost an opportunity to involve the world in on this. This will be a major and very significant undertaking and accomplishement at that. The world space programs have the virtually the same goals and outlooks. Why not use all existing world space agency's and unite under a common banner and work towards this single purpose? This would be cost effective for all world space programs thinking of landing on the moon and this would also work and combine towards heading manned space/exploration flights to Mars.
IMHO, inviting the world to join and participate on these two main goals and programs would have been a great "re-image-maker" for US/his current world opinion and views.
Just my humble thoughts though....maybe one day.

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 15-1-2004 by Seekerof]

new topics

top topics

join