It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada plans Arctic bases, expanded patrol force in response to Russia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Canada plans Arctic bases, expanded patrol force in response to Russia

news.yahoo.com

VANCOUVER, British Columbia (Reuters) - Canada pressed its Arctic sovereignty claim on Friday, announcing plans for a port, a training facility and to modernize the part-time paramilitary force that now patrols the area.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 11/8/07 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Well the new Cold war is off to a good start.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Heres another.

Arctic military bases signal new Cold War

www.timesonline.co.uk...

"Canada fired a warning shot in a new Cold War over the vast resources of the far North by announcing last night that it will build two new military bases in the Arctic wilderness. "

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 06:46 AM
link   
[ Sarcasm ]

Exactly why the NorthAmericanUnion (NAU) is needed.

as both the U.S. & Canada (also Greenland) must combine their efforts
and share expenses to contain this threat at our common Arctic border.

[ /Sarcasm ]

couldn't be better timing,
or is all of this drama following a script already hammered out??

a need for a NAU in the western hemisphere, to counter these intrusions !
a sizeable 'assistance package' awarded to Russia for playing the Villian !

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Do you think these bases my be connected to the finding a huge oil reserve in north Canada?? It was on a program i watched recently.canadian,american and british companies were involved,and they said the amount of oil there is 3 times bigger then that which is left in the middle east!!

I know it could be both reasons.america still has a hatred of russia.i've always wondered why the US has blocked russia on joining Nato and doing any trade in europe and america,but then gets upset when they do business with china and the middle east!?!

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 01:46 AM
link   
It`s kind of funny the way this is being positioned in the press as countering Russia... for as long as I can remember, Canadians have been far more concerned with the fact that the USA completely ignores Canadian Arctic sovereignty. That`s the real push behind this - the Russian moves are merely timely.

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Interesting articles and media reports, but after doing a little reading,eg:

REUTERS Article
www.reuters.com...

Gov of Canada, Cdn Atlas
atlas.nrcan.gc.ca...

Would seem to me, steps are in place to investigate lands claims (or premature and immature Flags being placed at the bottom of the Arctic Sea, lol).
As for Harper's efforts to bolster Cdn activity up there I'm not sure it means much at the moment.

Dallas

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 04:40 PM
link   
By the cunning use of flags you can take over the world!!

soz,just quoting an eddie izzard joke about the british empire

if any american comes out and says russia want more of the arctic because their planing to invade america,i'll laugh my ass off!!

but,as mentioned in the news article,its probably all down to fuel.thats why different countries are always trying to lay claims to parts of antarctica!

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Friday, August 24, 2007. Soil Sample Backs Up Pole Claim
www.themoscowtimes.com...

"Less than a month after sending a high-profile expedition to the North Pole, a state-run research institute claimed Thursday to have proof that a large chunk of the Arctic belongs to Russia, although the statement was met by skepticism from foreign scientists.

"We obtained enough material to demonstrate that the Lomonosov Ridge ... is an extension of the continental margin," said Viktor Posyolov, deputy head of the Institute of World Ocean Geology, Interfax reported..."

Dunno what the recent Moscow Times article solves or attempts to solve but I feel this is going to drag-on for long while as to what Country controls what part.

I'd suggest more recent volcanic activity crossing into one's known territory does NOT make a valid claim to any more area, just ownership of more mass, volcanic mass of the same area.

Dallas

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 04:10 AM
link   
This is a last ditch effort by Canada to assert its rights and authority over the bulk of the Arctic. Yes it has absolutely everything to do with Oil and it will be Canada and the U.S. under the very much unwanted NAU protecting the region from Russia, China, Norway and Denmark. Denmark ? yes that pain in the ass nation that still rules over Greenland. If a war breaks out in the Arctic it will be a falklands style conflict between Canada and Denmark, resulting in the complete destruction of the Danish Navy by Canada. Don't laugh behind closed doors early warning shots have already been fired over the past 2 decades.. and in the next 8 years we will see if that becomes a real shooting war.

Realistically I doubt the Dannes are that dumb, Canada's Navy though small far out guns Denmarks Navy and the CAF would decimate the Danish Air Force in an Arctic conflict.

Therefore the bases are all about backing up Canada's legal right per international law to the northern Archpelago. It also is an early warning to Russia and China that if necessary Canada will change direction from an economic peaceful mini power to an economic and military mini-power making it non-feasible for China or Russia to push the current boundaries.

Side note: The world has not taken notice yet but Canada has started to change doctrine, it is re arming and it is significantly increasing the size of its armed forces. New Defense networks and satelites have been launched.

It is alarming and concerning to see Canada having to go in this direction.. but at the same time it is a good thing for Canada to have more muscle to back up its ideaology. Especially since the United States is about to head into one of its worst periods since its civil war; worst in the sense of determining direction and recovering from severe economic stupidity and letting the Chinese have there way with the direction of NAU with Nowsco, the Kansas Terminal and aquisitions of energy firms.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Canada is weak against Russia. Got news for you, they have no chance,
Canada is gonna need "backup" haha

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 06:35 AM
link   
If Canada is going to be 'fighting' Denmark, then why are Shell gas stations (owned by Queen Beatrix) all over the Canadian map?

"hey, how dare you take our arctic? What? Profit? Shell? Sure, build as many as you want"...

top topics

join