It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Child Obesity = Child Abuse

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I don't know if you think this is a current event, but I do.

Parents, your kids are FAT!

I blame parents. Yes, there are the select few who have an actual medical problem that go to the doctor and who take medicine.

But that is not true of 90-95% of all the fat kid/parents out there

What they are doing
-Creating an unhealthy bodyimage for their kids so as to make sure that kid does not have any self confidence (I'm pretty sure self confidence and success go hand in hand)
-Placing them in socially desparaging positions for their whole life
-Cutting thier life shorter due to health complications

Among other things.

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Kids are fat today (obese if you like) because they don't get enough physical activity plain and simple. Schools have begun to cut physical education from schools to pump in greater academics. Kids no longer play outside they stay cooped up inside the house with their electronic toys.

When I was a kid we would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the street lights came on.

Kids did not have Playstations, Nintendo 64, X-Boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, DVD's, surround sound, personal cell phones, personal computers, or Internet chat rooms. Kids had friends they went outside and found them.

I would really like to know how Parents cause their children to get fat. Please explain your point.

[Edited on 14-1-2004 by BlackJackal]

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Parents cause thier children to get fat by letting them eat unhealthy food and allowing them to play on thier Playstations, Nintendo 64's, and X-Box's all day long.

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Ah, this is one topic that infuriates me.

Child obesity is the result of parental neglect. It's much easier to drive to MickeyD's than it is to cook a healthy meal. Parents should find ways to avoid this growing issue.

While I agree that electronic games deprive children of physical exercise, I don't think they're the main problem. I played video games quite often when I was a child. I also stayed active with gymnastics and enjoyed playing outdoors.

I understand that parenting involves numerous responsibilities. Provide your child with a healthy balanced diet and allow them to participate in activities that prevent obesity.

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 05:53 PM
link   
well most of what is being said here doesnt apply to me

heres a few points on me

1) we always sit down to a healthy meal of three veg and some sort of meat.

2) i have never been neglected/put down/abused by my parents

3) i played rugby leagure for 9 years (this includes trining for and hour 2 nights a week and an 80 min game once a week)

4) i used to ride my bike atleast once a week for up to 2 klms a ride.

5) other sports i played were, tennis, swimming, boxing and cricket.

6) i have had regular exercise almoast every day between the ages of 8-17 (i walked to school and home every day)

7) i am over weight, i know that, i need to loose weight, i know that too

8) i am very confident but humble, if anyone can tell im confident, im usually not (if that makes sense)

9) i have had regualr exercise since i was 15 in the form of working between 10-36hrs a week

10) i spen most of my days (when i not working) either out and about walking around or at the shops walking around.

im not the average overweight person, i have been since i was young (about 7 yrs old)

i have been to the doctor, that helped i lost up to 20kg (40 pounds roughly) but for some reson i put it back on.

we have/still do/always will eat healthy meals.

i am on a protein diet now.

for breakky i eat 2 eggs and a peice of steak (no larger than the palm of my hand) and i regualrly have omega 3 capsules (helps with weight loss)

for lunch i have either a salad sanwich, or a peice of steak and sald

for dinner as stated meat and three veg or fish/chicken and salad.

i dont know what other overweight people have gone through but, most people i know that are over weight have a loving happy family.

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 05:57 PM
link   
This is a good place for parents to lead by example take your kids for a walk, play some touch football, go to a gym or dojo, etc.

Most parents out there could use the exercise and its a great way to spend time with your kids

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 07:26 PM
link   
So I'm at the gym earlier today. I see a woman walk in with her two kids. That's a pretty rare sight at my gym, and when you see it you're almost guaranteed obnoxious children running around and breaking things while their parent(s) completely ignore them.
Except tonight.
The kids (a boy of around 7, a girl of around 10) had on tennis shoes and sweatpants, and they took turns using the treadmills and stairsteppers for about 45 minutes while mom did her running.

I wish I saw that more often.

-B.

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackJackal
Kids are fat today (obese if you like) because they don't get enough physical activity plain and simple.

Und dat is why I, de Reticulan Hybrid Overlord Of Kalefornya haf propozed manditory excersize programz for de fat girly human children to be working in de minez for our Reticulan Mazters, und all of deese tings.

MINE HUMAN MINE!

To join Arnold in the mines, do nothing...We'll abduct you in your sleep.

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 05:57 PM
link   
ok so i'm nuts...my belief is it has alot more to do with what people are eating. growth hormones are used everywhere, we eat the meat or drink the milk,and we get these hormones into our system too. why are there so many fat people today?

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Well, this is just funny as ever!
Yes, in a sense parents are at fault. Whether it be their parenting skills or so forth. In all truth, some of the reason children are obese could also be heredity in the family as well as metabolism rates. So...In truth...Parents have at least a little part of the blame.

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I eat what I want. I just exercise enough so as to burn it off a bit. Even if I gain a pound or something, it usually doesn't stick around. Lately though it has been too cold to go outside, especially now. I hope it warms up soon...

Grandpa, can you tell me more stories about when kids used to go outside?

posted on Jan, 28 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Many people have a slight thyroid disorder and arent aware of it. I know a kid who just found out he has one and is taking his meds and is losing a ton of wieght. Although that may be a factor in some cases, most of it is in the video games, comps, tvs and everything else for kids. Also, school food is really fattening, despite what parents think. At my school, they have a pizza line everyday and the grease on the pizza literally drips off. Its disgusting. I think they should make PE mandatory for every grade. Parents should also encourage their kids to join sports. I play a variety of sports, and it really helps keeps you active.

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Face it America, your kids and the rest of the population are fatter than other kids and people around the world. You can make up excuses like genetics or thyroid problems, but those are rare and does not account for the 60% of the population that is overweight.

Obesity is reaching epidemic proportions. Combining supersized fast food meals with 5 hours a night in front of the TV is a bad idea.

Once you admit there is a problem then maybe you can do something about it.

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 01:12 AM
link   
[Edited on 29-1-2004 by kaoszero]

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Wow, your gonna need statistics to prove this.

Deep

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 09:00 AM
link   
in this wonderful state i live in...arkansas, we now have this thing called fat report cards. the schools are keeping track of the kids body mass index. how nice

posted on Feb, 15 2004 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroDeep
Wow, your gonna need statistics to prove this.

Deep

Overweight Prevalence
(All figures are for U.S.)

Sixty-four percent of U.S. Adults are overweight or obese. (1999-2000)

Thirty percent of U.S. Adults are obese (BMI greater than or equal to 30.0). (1999-2000)

Percent of Adolescents (ages 12-19) Who Are Overweight: 15% (1999-2000)

Percent of Children (ages 6-11) Who Are Overweight: 15% (1999-2000)

www.cdc.gov...

Here are your statistics.

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro
I don't know if you think this is a current event, but I do.

Parents, your kids are FAT!

I blame parents. Yes, there are the select few who have an actual medical problem that go to the doctor and who take medicine.

Wassup jethro... Here are my thoughts on this subject:

Parents are only slightly to blame. Mostly in the action of their genetics.

I think a great deal of the blame rests squarely in the lap of the government. Ever since they turned the food pyramid upside down and put "grain" as the base of the pyramid at 5 servings a day, this country has had a "fat explosion."

Question: What do they feed beef cattle on the feed lot to fatten them up before the slaughter??? Answer: Grain.

If one subscribes to the theory of evolution then it would stand to reason that the human body wasn't designed to eat grain. Prehistoric man was a hunter and a gatherer. Lean meat, nuts and berries was the diet he had to deal with during the "evolutionary" process.

Enter farming in mesopotamia long after all the evolutionary processes had settled man into his present form.

Enter super-sized big gulps from 7-11 which sent the triglyceride levels through the roof and pour that down over a nutrient deprived white bread sandwhich and you have a recipe for a type 2 diabetic by the age of 18. Oh yeah, throw in a cup-o-noodles or 2 whose main ingredient is wheat flour (grain).

Toss out the sirloin and rib-eye steaks because a few rabbid vegetarians at the NIH (who couldn't find the truth if it walked up and slapped them across the face) say "it's bad for you" and you have a recipe for not only diabetes but a nation wide disaster, all on account of ignorance.

A school of thought has come to light recently that theorizes that it's the triglycerides that are the major cause of heart disease and not cholesterol levels. Cholesterol levels are very difficult to control anyway. My thoughts are that you are genetically pre-disposed to having a certain cholesterol level and if you don't get enough, your liver manufactures it. You wanna change your cholesterol level?? Get a new liver.

I think the motto for this site is a gem... DENY ignorance... and start digging... And don't do that digging in a wheat field, do it in alternative sources of information.

Thanx for your attention,
Paul.

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Overweight Prevalence
(All figures are for U.S.)

Sixty-four percent of U.S. Adults are overweight or obese. (1999-2000)

Thirty percent of U.S. Adults are obese (BMI greater than or equal to 30.0). (1999-2000)

Percent of Adolescents (ages 12-19) Who Are Overweight: 15% (1999-2000)

Percent of Children (ages 6-11) Who Are Overweight: 15% (1999-2000)

www.cdc.gov...

Here are your statistics.

I was refering to Koaszero. Those are interesting stats though.

Deep

new topics

top topics

join