It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Does truth matter?

page: 1
1
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 12:27 AM
link   
How many times have I seen the wrong guy get convicted.

How many times has the liar been the one who comes out on top?

How many wars have been fought in the name of countless different gods that different peoples believe in.

How many different gods have been worshipped?

How many times has Global warming been cheered and jeered?

Is Milk even good for you? Everyone has a different opinion.

At the end of the day, even if we think we know what truth is... does it really matter? No one listens to anyone else anyway.




posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Yes, absolutely yes, truth does matter. Without so many lies and betrayals to hold truth against, the question might be rendered moot. Do we not need to see the worst of ourselves in order to appreciate our best?



posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 12:59 AM
link   
So exactly how does it matter? I can gather from your post that it *should* matter, but how dies it matter? What decisions in this world are actually based on truth instead of just belief?



posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I can only say it as I see it on a personal level. If I cannot depend on my own integrity, then my personal worth is minimal. There are many of us who choose not to lie or betray. We may be few, but can you imagine a world where such people do not exist? I don't think you would be asking these questions if you, yourself, were not a believer in truth.



posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThinSkinned
I can only say it as I see it on a personal level. If I cannot depend on my own integrity, then my personal worth is minimal. There are many of us who choose not to lie or betray. We may be few, but can you imagine a world where such people do not exist? I don't think you would be asking these questions if you, yourself, were not a believer in truth.


I think that is the most honest and truthful answer I have ever heard. Thank you for contributing.



posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 11:42 PM
link   
A person must realize that truth is not objective. Truth is a belief, and nothing more. Ideas and ideals are thoughts which are agreed upon. It is my belief that if people realized that their thoughts do not hold any sort of constant, peace would be assured in not only their hearts, but in the world around them.



posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by iceofspades
A person must realize that truth is not objective. Truth is a belief, and nothing more. Ideas and ideals are thoughts which are agreed upon. It is my belief that if people realized that their thoughts do not hold any sort of constant, peace would be assured in not only their hearts, but in the world around them.



I believe much the same way. And by that token, I'd have to say what matters most is belief, because it is ultimately the ground of whatever "Truth" might be being proclaimed. And if one followed the belief you just spelled out, it would actually matter more than any other Truth I can think of.



posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quazga
I believe much the same way. And by that token, I'd have to say what matters most is belief, because it is ultimately the ground of whatever "Truth" might be being proclaimed. And if one followed the belief you just spelled out, it would actually matter more than any other Truth I can think of.


Looks like we're on the same page--as we have been in this and the last thread haha...

But yeah...Basically I think the ATS motto should be:

"DENY TRUTH"

Hehehe



posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 07:03 AM
link   
May be the real question is - What is reality? What is the measure of my understanding? The length the depth and the width of my world as I understand it. Perhaps it’s my perspective; my perspective becomes truth, the truth as I understand it becomes my reality. Starting with perspective, and being that perspective is colored by our own life experiences, it is easy to see where truth becomes clouded. Truth becomes convoluted when a person begins projecting his own life experiences on a idea or event. We imprint ourselves on the things and situations that surround us. The truth becomes even more clouded when it is passed on to others because we simple lack to ability to convey the truth in it entirety. Ultimately there is a single truth; perfect in itself. So here’s the rub. We spend a lot of time as people searching for that singular perfect truth. We are not perfect, and probably wouldn't recognize it if and when we saw it. I just don't believe that imperfect people can ever find that type of understanding. At least not with out help.



posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by hammerhead1791
May be the real question is - What is reality? What is the measure of my understanding? The length the depth and the width of my world as I understand it. Perhaps it’s my perspective; my perspective becomes truth, the truth as I understand it becomes my reality. Starting with perspective, and being that perspective is colored by our own life experiences, it is easy to see where truth becomes clouded. Truth becomes convoluted when a person begins projecting his own life experiences on a idea or event. We imprint ourselves on the things and situations that surround us. The truth becomes even more clouded when it is passed on to others because we simple lack to ability to convey the truth in it entirety. Ultimately there is a single truth; perfect in itself. So here’s the rub. We spend a lot of time as people searching for that singular perfect truth. We are not perfect, and probably wouldn't recognize it if and when we saw it. I just don't believe that imperfect people can ever find that type of understanding. At least not with out help.



Thank you for yet another great explanation of Truth on this thread.



posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Let's get our philosophy on


I find it harder and harder to believe that anything is objective. Nothing seems to be carved in stone. Even the behavior of subatomic particles; the very fundamentals of reality, are based on probabilities.

We have this instinctive desire to be able to predict things. We want bad to be punished and good to be rewarded.

Is an ultimate truth a good thing?

My dogs knows that it's bad to potty in the house, that's because I taught her that it's bad. Had I not, it would be right for her. She would just be performing a required function neccessary for her survival. That truth is good for me, but can be bad for her if I'm out of the house too long.

I lost track of where I was going with this. Anyway, you guys got some interesting ideas.



posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rev_Godslapper
Let's get our philosophy on


I find it harder and harder to believe that anything is objective. Nothing seems to be carved in stone. Even the behavior of subatomic particles; the very fundamentals of reality, are based on probabilities.

We have this instinctive desire to be able to predict things. We want bad to be punished and good to be rewarded.

Is an ultimate truth a good thing?

My dogs knows that it's bad to potty in the house, that's because I taught her that it's bad. Had I not, it would be right for her. She would just be performing a required function neccessary for her survival. That truth is good for me, but can be bad for her if I'm out of the house too long.

I lost track of where I was going with this. Anyway, you guys got some interesting ideas.



As for your dog, I do believe that is where Romans 14:14 comes into play. Paul was convinced that there is nothing inherently good or evil, only to the one who thinks it so.

Some people read this and erroneously believe that means he was exhorting us to be lawless. But on the contrary, he was exhorting us to look at our beliefs, and to realize that we can't simply change our beliefs about right or wrong through thought. It's taught to us, (like your dog) so we have to unlearn it through the exercise of forgiveness.

In that particular passage he was also exhorting us to go easy on others who are still "under the law" which basically means "coereced into guilt due to programming".

Thanks again GodSlapper for a thoughtful post.



posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Romans 14:14
I know, and am persuaded in the Lord Jesus, that nothing is unclean of itself; except that to him who considers anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean.


Good verse.


My dog had use the bathroom so that's why I started going into that.

Then I lost my train of thought by the time I let her back in.



posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 10:47 PM
link   
whether the truth matters or not, depends on your morals, which usually mean nothing to anyone else. you decide what you want to believe. what may have been believed to be the truth, may not actually be the truth in reality.



posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Truth does matter on different levels.
Wouldn't we all want to know everything the government knows?
Would you not want to hear the truth from the governments prospective
on 9/11? I do not live in America but I am sure I want to know the truth.
Would it matter? Of course, it would make it easier to get the individuals
who committed the atrocity.
In the end it all depends on what type of person you are. If you do not
care for the truth then you wouldn't go out there to search for it.



posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99
Truth does matter on different levels.
Wouldn't we all want to know everything the government knows?
Would you not want to hear the truth from the governments prospective
on 9/11? I do not live in America but I am sure I want to know the truth.
Would it matter? Of course, it would make it easier to get the individuals
who committed the atrocity.
In the end it all depends on what type of person you are. If you do not
care for the truth then you wouldn't go out there to search for it.


I really don't mean to be flippant here, but we do know the truth of who was behind 9/11.

Unfortunately he is hiding out someplace in Pakistan most likely, and it still doesn't matter.



posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quazga

Originally posted by Equinox99
Truth does matter on different levels.
Wouldn't we all want to know everything the government knows?
Would you not want to hear the truth from the governments prospective
on 9/11? I do not live in America but I am sure I want to know the truth.
Would it matter? Of course, it would make it easier to get the individuals
who committed the atrocity.
In the end it all depends on what type of person you are. If you do not
care for the truth then you wouldn't go out there to search for it.


I really don't mean to be flippant here, but we do know the truth of who was behind 9/11.

Unfortunately he is hiding out someplace in Pakistan most likely, and it still doesn't matter.


To you it may seem that way, however to other people it looked like a big
setup.
Just imagine we lived in a world where the truth was always told, then
we would not need to go out and search for it.



posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I know the truth about who was behind 9/11 too. He's hiding out in Washington D.C. right now.


Anyway, can anything actually be proven 100 percent?



posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quazga

Originally posted by Equinox99
Truth does matter on different levels.
Wouldn't we all want to know everything the government knows?
Would you not want to hear the truth from the governments prospective
on 9/11? I do not live in America but I am sure I want to know the truth.
Would it matter? Of course, it would make it easier to get the individuals
who committed the atrocity.
In the end it all depends on what type of person you are. If you do not
care for the truth then you wouldn't go out there to search for it.


I really don't mean to be flippant here, but we do know the truth of who was behind 9/11.

Unfortunately he is hiding out someplace in Pakistan most likely, and it still doesn't matter.


Sorry to quote all that, but it's a perfect example of what I was thinking of posting.

"Nothing is true, and
All is possible."

Vas



posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99

To you it may seem that way, however to other people it looked like a big
setup.
Just imagine we lived in a world where the truth was always told, then
we would not need to go out and search for it.



I think you unwittingly made my point.

However, you couldn't really have a world where truth is always told. At best, you could have a world where people tell what they honestly believe to be the truth. Even then, so many half-truths and mis-truths would be told, that the difference would be nill.



new topics

top topics



 
1
<<   2 >>

log in

join