It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NY police receive "unverified radiological threat"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 10:45 PM
link   

NY police receive "unverified radiological threat"

www.reuters.com

NEW YORK (Reuters) - New York city police increased security throughout Manhattan on Friday and at bridges and tunnels in response to what they called an "unverified radiological threat," but said the city's alert status remained unchanged.

The New York Police Department said in a statement it has increased the deployment of radiological sensors on vehicles, boats and helicopters and had set up vehicle checkpoints in lower Manhattan and at bridges and tunnels.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Strange story this one, details are thin on the ground, and a spokesman is quoted as saying there is "no credible information telling us there is an imminent threat to the homeland at this time." Security has been increased however, yet New York currently remains on an "orange alert".

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 10:56 PM
link   
www.ny1.com...

What concerns me more is the lack of information.

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 11:06 PM
link   
There are too many shadows lately and not enough information soon after. Things like this are shut away or picked up by mainstream left media as fear mongering. For the NYPD to deploy those teams the intel has to have been pretty good I would think Anything going on in NY this weekend?

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I did just see the breaking news report involving that. I really didn't think much of it because there are so many threats that come up all the time around here. A few of my friends drove into the city tonight to go to a party. I guess we can all just keep our fingers crossed its B.S.

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 11:26 PM
link   
they're conditioning you to accept increased security and random checkpoints... they want you to think its no big deal and not take a second look. after is all said and done youll be asking for it.

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Reuters have updated the story since I posted it.

And Bloomberg also sought to soothe New Yorkers.

"Earlier this evening, the NYPD began taking several public precautionary measures visible to New Yorkers to guard against an unverified threat that was found on the Internet," he said.

I believe this threat may be the one picked up by DEBKAfile:

DEBKAfile Exclusive: New Al Qaeda threat of radioactive truck attacks naming New York, Los Angeles, Miami

The threat was picked up by DEBKAfile’s monitors from a rush of electronic chatter on al Qaeda sites Thursday, Aug. 8.

The al Qaeda communications accuse the Americans of the grave error of failing to take seriously the videotape released by the American al Qaeda spokesman Adam Gaddahn last week. “They will soon realize their mistake when American cities are hit by quality operations,” said one message.

Another said the attacks would be carried out “by means of trucks loaded with radio-active material against America’s biggest city and financial nerve center.”

Source.

Which is also to be found here on ATS:

New Al Qaeda threat of radioactive truck attacks naming New York, Los Angeles, Miami

[edit on 10/8/07 by Implosion]

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by bokinsmowl
they're conditioning you to accept increased security and random checkpoints... they want you to think its no big deal and not take a second look. after is all said and done youll be asking for it.

DING DING DING! Tell him what he has won Bob!

You hit the mark exactly. It is all just preconditioning for what eventually will become martial law in this country. Of course if you do not subscribe to the martial law theory, you can look at it as the City is simply reacting to words on the internet. Can you imagine what would happen if every city and town did that? Just reacted to every threat that was posted on the internet regardless of how credible it is?

As far as the threat itself goes... I don't buy it. If I am a terrorist who has a plan like this, I WON'T tell you I'm going to do it before hand! This isn't stupid criminals caught on video. You just don't tell your enemy's what your going to do ahead of time. That doesn't happen in the real world. You find the weakness of your enemy THEN you exploit it. You don't find it, tell your enemy, then try to see if you can do it. The whole idea of that is just absurd!

[edit on 11/8/2007 by section8citizen]

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 01:54 AM
link   
The story on Reuters has been updated again, hence the change in headline, and the DEBKAfile report is specifically mentioned:

Another al Qaeda message mentioned New York, Los Angeles and Miami as targets, the Jerusalem-based DEBKAfile Internet news site reported.

Other sources are also mentioned. I sincerely hope nothing comes of this.

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 08:58 AM
link   
It seems a fairly failed system of security if you deploy these sensors around the city after reading a report from DEBKA.

Most likely any attack would not be pre announced/discovered, so wouldn't it be wise to have the sensors up and running on a non-stop basis, it is NYC, highly populous, attacked before, and it's not like we haven't had over 5 years and Millions of dollars poured into DHS since 9/11 to increase security, I would think rad sensors would be high on the implementation list of the major cities and ports.

Something isn't adding up on this one.......

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Just more political manuvers from the N.Y. govermnent and the feds...Guys were coming up on an election year get use to the B.S. there is no threat if there were a real threat the borders would be closed..

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 11:06 AM
link   
This may shed some light on the reasons why the NYC authorities are taking the story so seriously:

Although the attacks of September 11, 2001 stunned the world, they came as no surprise to Giora Shamis and Diane Shalem—two veteran foreign-affairs reporters for the Economist who, like a handful of other journalists at the turn of the millennium, had turned to the Internet to go into business for themselves. In February of 2001, their freshly-launched website devoted to terrorism reported that Osama bin Laden intended to attack the World Trade Center towers in New York. "We'd been following his activities since his days as an organizer of the mujahideen in Afghanistan in the '80s," recalls Shalem. "We knew what he was capable of."

[emphasis mine]

So, they apparently predicted the 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Centre.

I wonder why if New York, Los Angeles and Miami are mentioned in the DEBKAfile story, only New York is reported as being on alert. Perhaps the NYC authorities have additional information, or maybe all three cities are on alert, and only NYC has made it into the MSM.

Interestingly enough, I've seen speculation that DEBKAfile is actually a Mossad run propaganda machine. Of course, that shouldn't be surprising. I think every Internet based media outlet seems to have someone of an opposing view making similar claims in an attempt to demonise them. Hell, it even happens with ATS, which according to some is obviously COINTELPRO.

[edit on 11/8/07 by Implosion]

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I do not know if this was mentioned but this information was seen on
an Israeli website first.

New York authorities were taking extra counterterrorism precautions Friday in response to what they said was an unsubstantiated report on an Israeli Web site regarding a radiological threat to the city.

WHATREALLYHAPPENED

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Wasn't there a thread on a big happening in AUGUST posted.

This is some AL-Queda information picked up in Israel.

Perhaps NY needed another Happening like Woodstock in August again.

I know, Cheney said lets every one exercise in one objective.

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I think it is important to remember the recent Al Qaeda video threat. In which they specifically show a SUV(possible Ford Explorer). Is it me or is there just way to much information and activity surrounding this recent threat ? Michael Chertoff, The NYPD, and Al Qaeda including recent terror graduates all seem to think we are gonna be attacked soon. I tend to so side with all of them on this. I thinks its no coincidence that there was video with an emphasis on a car,then theres a biological weapon threat and then the NYPD goes on high Alert.

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by esdad71
There are too many shadows lately and not enough information soon after. Things like this are shut away or picked up by mainstream left media as fear mongering.
Ha ha ha! Esdad, you never give up.

Left wing media, huh? Would that be Fox News?

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 08:53 PM
link   
So did they actually make any arrests or anything?

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 12:41 AM
link   
It is possible, and if they didn't send the detectors out, we would chastise them later if something happened.

The local authorities, I would say, mostly don't have a clue, even if it is a false fear and control op.

I would say the suv in that video resembles D.C. area more than NYC ... maybe LA, though I never been to LA.

I don't see why Miami would be a target, I think its population, though large, is over-rated.

I could see D.C. being more of a target, especially if the 'right' people are out on 'vacation' or business at the same time. If such an attack on D.C. happened, and it was no longer inhabitable ... guess what, the presidential directive would be readily accepted by the public, even by those who may not agree with it.

This may be a bit outdated (1990 census), but sticking to trends, I am sure it is still a rather good representation of the population distribution in the major cities, hence my reasoning:

A cut and paste didn't work for a quote (lost its structure), but here is the link, it is the second set of population statistics is where the following information was pulled from: census.gov

Sorry it isn't pretty, but I wanted to make a quick and easy reference for those who didn't want to click on the link.

NY, NY ... city rank 1 population 7,323,000 ... urbanized area rank 1 population 16,044,000

LA, CA ... #2 - 3,485,000 ... #2 - 11,403,000

D.C. ... #19 - 607,000 ... #7 - 3,363,000

Miami ... #46 - 359,000 ... #16 - 1,915,000

It would be a practical assumption that some growth has happened, and nearly 10% of america's population lies within the top 2 cities. D.C. is a tactical weapon. Whether a false flag to destroy the public security and control them, or done by an outside organization, with or without prior knowledge from out government. A 3 point strike on those targets would be a huge hit on our infrastructure and moral. Of course, a larger strike (such as the 6+ city prediction) would include quite a few more on that list, which could contaminate, wound, or kill up to or exceeding 20-30% of the population in one day's worth of strikes. The numbers are there.

Depending on what you see or believe as to who would execute, their competence and ability ... we could be in for quite a shock. Do I believe it will happen, I don't know. Like everyone else has said, there has been a lot of chatter, warnings, messages ... conditioning or desensitization seems to be happening in some form. I am not claiming it is the intent, that is up for the individual to decide. I do see a reason to keep our eyes and minds open to any possibility from any enemy.

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by FreeThinkerIdealist
I don't see why Miami would be a target, I think its population, though large, is over-rated.

You are going on the assumption that the terrorists rate body count higher than hitting the financial sector hard now, although I believe a crossover for both would be ideal for their aims. Miami is a port city, like NYC and LA, but the Port of Miami has a lot of tourists and cruise ships going through it compared with the other two. Whichever would be their preferred target the effect would be much the same. If you attack a port city it will have an enormous affect the entire country in terms of business and tourism in addition to it being felt around the world.

The port is recognized as the "Cruise Capital of the World" and "Cargo Gateway of the Americas". It has retained its status as the number one cruise/passenger port in the world for well over a decade accommodating the largest cruise ships and the major cruise lines.

en.wikipedia.org...

The Port of Miami is an important contributor to the local and state economies. Nearly four million cruise passengers pass through the Port and over 9 million tons of cargo and over 1 million TEUs (twenty-foot equivalent unit containers) are transited through the seaport per year. This combination of cruise and cargo activities supports approximately 98,000 jobs, and has an economic impact in Miami-Dade County of over $12 billion.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Good point

I fully consider it as a secondary target. I still think the three I said would be the top priority for either false flag or terrorist for the reasons I stated.

With the reports of up to 22 cities ... we are talking half the citizens in u.s.america if they focus on population centers ... which also take out infrastructure and the rest suffer. Maybe a large dirty bomb in the food crops section ... but we don't produce too much any more, right?

Reading one of the newer 9/11 conspiracies ... this radiological threat is even scarier. Laser/energy based weapon. They have them. They could set it to X or gamma ray bursts and a strong and prolonged exposure would be bad. Since the ones controlling that expensive equipment would be high up, relying on the soldier to say no may not even be possible. Ground based ones yes, but orbital ones, no.

I don't know what to believe anymore. I don't sit and fret, I live my life. I will just not watch the news with as innocent an eye as last time. I don't have cable, so I don't know how I would watch the news anyway! But seriously, much more skeptical.

I am happy a site such as this exists ... real news, and possibly fast unadulterated photos and video. I am sure there are more people than in 01 ... and 6 years of arguing points on 9/11 have developed eagle eyes for picking out picture and video anomalies, and deciphering new truths through the mess.

Man, I can't believe I forgot about the cruise business

My heart goes out to all of you NY'ers ... I love your city, but I wouldn't want to deal with the constant 'threats' you hear ... then add the recent tornadoes, pipes bursting, subways flooding ... it is quite a struggle up there.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join