It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush war adviser says draft worth a look

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Bush war adviser says draft worth a look

news.yahoo.com

"I think it makes sense to certainly consider it," Army Lt. Gen. Douglas Lute said in an interview with National Public Radio's "All Things Considered."

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Could the be the start of the draft???

I hope not

news.yahoo.com

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 09:49 PM
link   
This is already "Breaking News" here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 05:20 AM
link   

posted by kleverone
Could the be the start of the draft??? I hope not

news.yahoo.com

I have draft experience. The war in Vietnam had failed at home because of 2 reasons. 1) Unacceptable levels of KIA and especially the racial imbalance in the KIA, and 2) The obvious unfairness of the draft.

We have the same problem today we faced in the 1960s. There are more men and now women in the draft pool than we would ever need or could afford at current pay rates. We have a great aversion as a nation to drafting people to become gun fodder that is, to go into the infantry or USMC. All volunteers solve the second problem but not the first. If you keep a conscript - a draftee - for 2 years, he or she cannot be trained to do much but be an infantryman. Which puts us back into the gun fodder problem.

It seems impossible to me to be able to have a FAIR draft. Does that mean we take an equal percentage of young men and women from households based on income? If the necessary number is 4%, let is say, then we line up all the Bill Gates and Warren Buffets and take 4% of their children? Actually, my examples are not fair and are ill chosen. I believe with all my heart that Bill Gates and Warren Buffet would agree to such a scheme. It is the Bushes and Cheney’s who would not. OK and yes, the Clintons. There would be NO deferments . Pregnant wife or no Mr Cheney.

Your parents are R&Fs, the rich and famous or powerful, so you go! If 95% of the poor go into the infantry or USMC, then so would 95% of the children of the R&Fs also get to lay in the mud, eat cold wet food when it rains and learn how to take a crap behind the next tree. And shower once a week.

Yes, Freedom is not Free, to quote a warmongers mantra.

[edit on 8/11/2007 by donwhite]

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Its disturbing that Bush is considering doing such a thing, especially for a war that we shouldn't even be involved in. Hopefully this doesn't actually come about.

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   

posted by Saturn
Its disturbing that Bush is considering doing such a thing [institute a draft], especially for a war that we shouldn't even be involved in. Hopefully this doesn't actually come about.

Congress cannot bring itself to stop funding the Iraq War - afraid the public would be mislead into equating that with not backing the troops - and Bush43 cannot have a draft by Executive Order.

First, we need to declare the War on Terror OVER and take a new more sensible look at the underlying conditions that gave rise to OBL in the first place. We can spend less money dealing with those problems than we now spend on war, which is about $12 b. a month. We can end the constant state of fear here at home inspired by the Neo Cons. Let's acknowledge the Nine Eleven Event as our own wake up call.

Of course, it is essential to PEACE in the Middle East that the Arab Israeli dispute be settled on a fair basis to the Palestinians. That is the sine qua non in the ME. Do that and we will have resolved the cause celebre of al Qaeda. If we cannot do that then we cannot do much else the Middle East.

[edit on 8/11/2007 by donwhite]

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 09:10 AM
link   
This is a non starter. There will be no military draft enacted by this congress. When you read full exchange it's quite clear that Gen Lute does not even come close to saying that enacting a draft is being considered. He states the obvious..... it always makes sense to consider or "evaluate" all options in any military situation.

The full exchange:

NPR: You know, given the stress on the military and the concern about these extended deployments for an all-volunteer military, can you foresee, in the future, a return to the draft?

Lute: You know, that's a national policy decision point that we have not yet reached, Michele, because the —

NPR: But does it make sense militarily?

Lute: I think it makes sense to certainly consider it, and I can tell you, this has always been an option on the table, but ultimately, this is a policy matter between meeting the demands for the nation's security by one means or another. Today, the current means of the all-volunteer force is serving us exceptionally well. It would be a major policy shift — not actually a military, but a political policy shift to move to some other course.

new topics

top topics

join