It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

mars photo: blue sky

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 09:03 PM
link   
i found this image tonight checking in on space.com

-- just thought it was an interesting take on what we normally see from what has been presented as mars as we know it: red sky, etc.

here is a screenshot i took today cruising by the site (just in case the photo gets changed) - cough -

am i over analyzing this image?
TIA

mods: if this is a repost, please delete

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 09:32 PM
link   
great find man, i believe that mars is just like earth but we are getting lied to by nasa. but what do i know.

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Im not seeing the blue...?

Am I color blind?

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by PlausibleDeniability
Im not seeing the blue...?

Am I color blind?

I guess you are. You can only see the blue sky on the top edges of the image as theres some mystery mist covering the lower part of the sky. Thats not the first blue image from rovers with blue sky though. But I personally love the ones where everything is nice and red, including the color dials and the connectors on the rover that have somehow been altered to red and yellow instead of blue and green as they were back on earth. So I wouldnt really take any colours too seriously on the rover pictures from mars. Its pretty obvious we are getting the colors they want us to get.

[edit on 10/8/07 by Gonjo]

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 08:04 AM
link   
But isn’t the more interesting thing the clouds?... I mean clouds mean water vapour don’t they? And isn’t water not suppose to be anything but deep ice on mars?.. I think they are slowly preparing us for the real mars, and uncovering it slowly to make it seem like discoveries and not they knew all along, first ESA shows us ice in a crater, then we see more surface ice, and then we begin to see gullies erosion due to running water and Nasa keep changing how logn ago water flowed getting closer and closer to modern day until the point where they revealed water having filled and dried up out of rovers tracks.. or was it spirits tracks? Either way still the same thing… meaning liquid water had been there recently and now we are beginning to see clouds?.. not to mention some shots clearly showing geysers though had been unofficial recognised as such. Whats next? Rain? bacteria? Small plant life? Oxygen? What ever they are doing they are hiding something about mars but I’m convinced they will reveal it all in time just dribble out the information like they are new discoveries.

I dunno but its all very interesting

DL

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 08:14 AM
link   
A blue sky only exists because of light refraction in the atmosphere. Just because Mars has a blue sky doesn't at all mean that it is a habitable planet.

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by the_DarkLight
But isn’t the more interesting thing the clouds?... I mean clouds mean water vapour don’t they? And isn’t water not suppose to be anything but deep ice on mars?

Havent you read up on what those clouds are made of?

Mars - Carbondioxide clouds.

Venus - Sulfuricacid clouds.

Titan - Methane clouds.

Earth is the only planet with life on it in our own solarsystem afterall. Didnt you get the memo? Oh they are saying europa might have some in the deep oceans under all that ice but I doubt we will find anything from there either. The probe will either malfunction like on titan and we loose any real or all of the data.

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Exactly. The traditional red colour is simply down to the dust in the atmosphere. get a clearance in the dust storms and why shouldn't the sky be more bluish?

As for hiding something about Mars - only reason I can think for that is if they thought by revealing everything at once they wouldn't get any more funding (and that seems pretty unlikely).

NASA and ESA aren't hiding anything because there's nothing to hide. Hence we get all these pictures that aren't immediately explicable

[edit on 11-8-2007 by Essan]

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Blue skies on Mars are nothing new.

Bellow you can see some images that I made using the images for the red, green and blue filters on the Mars rovers' cameras.

As these images and others like them are from NASA I don't think that we can say that they are hiding the fact that the sky on Mars is blue.

About the clouds, I found this some time ago:

The origin of perennial water-ice at the South Pole of Mars
Thanks to data from ESA's Mars Express mission, combined with models of the Martian climate, scientists can now suggest how the orbit of Mars around the Sun affects the deposition of water ice at the Martian South Pole.
The mapping and spectral analysis by OMEGA has shown that the perennial deposits on the Martian South Pole are of essentially three types: water-ice mixed with carbon dioxide (CO2) ice, tens-of-kilometres-wide patches of water-ice, and deposits covered by a thin layer of CO2 ice.
The model has shown that water at the North Pole was in an unstable condition and was easily transported to the South Pole in the form of water vapour, to then re-condense and freeze on the surface. Up to 1 millimetre of water ice was deposited at the South Pole every year. After Mars has spent more than 10 000 years in that climatic configuration, this accumulation led to a layer up to 6-metre thick.

Source

So, water vapour clouds are possible and apparently common enough to be a part of the Martian weather.

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   
AFAIK the atmosphere on Mars is only 1% of earths. Seeing how the atmostphere is that thin, I think it's just an effect similar to being very high in our atmostphere, were the sky is black.

However, it appears that NASA is modifying the... hue(?) on there images, maybe changing the upper atmosphere to appear a very dark blue. What I'm going to do now is open up photoshop and change the colours around till the color dials and the connectors match the ones from Earth.

I'll post results soon.

EDIT: Didn't get anything to look like NASAs shots.... I'll try tomorow.

[edit on 11-8-2007 by C0bzz]

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 02:02 PM
link   
The top photo shows more of a fade to white where the sun is, and white naturally includes more blue. If you tweak the color balance enough, you can get a bluish sky sometimes. It's basically an artistic preference. Not all of us perceive color the same way here on Earth, either.

Mars is still a dead, cold, dusty inhospitable place that none of us are ever going to visit. It's an interesting place if you like deserts.

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by C0bzz
EDIT: Didn't get anything to look like NASAs shots.... I'll try tomorow.
That is because the colour images are made using the different photos taken with various filters.

If you have an image made with, for example, the infra-red, the blue and violet filters instead of the red, the green and the blue then I think it's impossible to create an image with the correct colours.

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
Blue skies on Mars are nothing new.

Bellow you can see some images that I made using the images for the red, green and blue filters on the Mars rovers' cameras.

As these images and others like them are from NASA I don't think that we can say that they are hiding the fact that the sky on Mars is blue.

About the clouds, I found this some time ago:

The origin of perennial water-ice at the South Pole of Mars
Thanks to data from ESA's Mars Express mission, combined with models of the Martian climate, scientists can now suggest how the orbit of Mars around the Sun affects the deposition of water ice at the Martian South Pole.
The mapping and spectral analysis by OMEGA has shown that the perennial deposits on the Martian South Pole are of essentially three types: water-ice mixed with carbon dioxide (CO2) ice, tens-of-kilometres-wide patches of water-ice, and deposits covered by a thin layer of CO2 ice.
The model has shown that water at the North Pole was in an unstable condition and was easily transported to the South Pole in the form of water vapour, to then re-condense and freeze on the surface. Up to 1 millimetre of water ice was deposited at the South Pole every year. After Mars has spent more than 10 000 years in that climatic configuration, this accumulation led to a layer up to 6-metre thick.

Source

So, water vapour clouds are possible and apparently common enough to be a part of the Martian weather.

thanks for this info armap. i was unaware of the bluish sky on mars.
and thanks everyone for your input as well.

new topics

top topics

join