It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Voices in your head... Random conversation made up by the mind?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Maybe when our brain gets tired, it starts using parts that you aren't used to using, this causing some inconsistencies or mixups. It's like going to training for football or something. You use muscles you never knew you had, because your other muscles got tired and you had to use all you got to get through it.

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I find that very interstin bprintz, I'll look into it.

The fact that we know little about ourselves is what makes me want to look into this further. It may just be my mind creating random subjects for people that i don't know to talk about up there lol but it seems so complex for my mind to do especially while I am awake. wouldn't it make more sense for it to make things up which have some relevance to what I would think about?

The white noise thing is intersting as well but as i say the detail in what they are saying seems too structured. Damn i really do sound crazy.. who the hell are 'they'!?

Unfortunately as soon as I am aware of it it seems to stop so I can't do any more than observe and remember what I hear. Maybe one day will hear something important.

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I've experianced something similar to what you've discribed. I am a diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic. I used to hear voices, have delusions, and hallucinations.

The voices your dicribing sound delusional in nature. To hear voices in your head talking about things you did'nt know is in itself delusional or not normal. I know from experiance I've been to madness and back to reality. There is nothing ESP like or spiritualness about it.

You talk about day dreaming and insomnia those are other symtoms of schizophrenia. I can't sleep without medication I will stay awake for 3 days at a time without it. The daydreaming could be disassociating or lossing reality.

Not all schizophrenics are alike there are 5 different types of schizophrenia. Some people can go thier whole lives without medical treatment others can't.

1% of the US population has schizophrenia. Next to depresison schizophrenia is the second most common mental illness but it's also the most treatable.

I've heard voices and mine were hostile but I've talked to other schizophrenics that heard voices who were friendly. I haven't heard voices for 5 years and I take medication. I know that the voices I heard were figments of my imagination caused by an illness.

Best advice I could give is if it's not interfearing with your life thiers no need for medical treatment. Because if you seek treatment thier gonna want to put you on medication and trust me your not gonna like it. In the end if you try medication and your schizophrenia isnt advanced when you quit taking it you might be in worse shape. Been there done that.

Another comon trait among schizopherics is they don't belive thiers anything wrong with thierself. When I was ill it took quite some convincing and a large shot of Haldol when I was in the hospital. Even several years after my diagnosses I would quit taking my medicaion and ending up in the hospital again.

It's been 10 years since then and I'm alot better off no more voices, hallucinations, delusions, or paranoia.

Check out this site:
www.schizophrenia.com

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 04:10 AM
link   
fiftyfifty,

I think I know what you are talking about. It usually happens when I am tired, after a long day, and while doing some mundane activity, or just lying in bed falling to sleep.

Mine is a bit different though, as I have come to the conclusion that it is my own self talking to me, or better yet, my normal consciosness perceiving part of my subconscious. I've considered that it might be subconsciouss thoughts leaking through, as muffinreasearch said, as the subject matter is always about something that I have been spending a good deal of time on that day or during the week.

There have been times when I was able to concentrate, or perhaps, not-concentrate on it, and for about 5 minutes or so, I would actually listen to a discourse on cosmology and possible states of the universe before the big bang... kind of like tuning into a damn radio show. The worst thing about this, was that I realized that my normal mind came to a conclusion about the whole thing, and I agreed with it just before "exiting," however, I don't remember what that conclusion was. I've also had one on the whole NWO thing hehe.. Weird, huh? It is particularly insightful to "see from an outside perspective" how your thought process is tied together. I have also been able to recall erroneous thought processes that I have observed, and been able to correct them as needed.

It's as if my ordinary thought process is perceived by my normal consciousness, but that my normal consciosness is "off center" or "listening from the corner of my mind," just kind of idling there observing my own thoughts and letting them flow without interrupting them. It's like breathing or blinking, once you think about it, it is no longer automatic.

It seems to be a type of lecture that my subconscious is going through, and I am so tired and not paying attention to the outside world, that I just happen to lift up to veil into my subconscious for a little while and spy on my hidden inner thoughts.

I have noticed that a requirement to reach this state is to be tired, and performing a mundane task, that allows me to go on auto-pilot if you will, or to be performing walking meditation. I presume that my brainwaves are in an Alpha, more relaxed, twilight state as these events manifest themselves.

In my own opinion, it is a perfectly normal state of mind to enter in to, you just have to shut out your ego and listen to your own mind without judging or hindering it's own thought process by "infiltration" of the ego.

As far as hearing other peoples voices, I can't say that that has happened to me. Perhaps it's all just random synapses firing, or maybe we are able to consciously listen to the memories that our subconscious is reviewing for later association and storage to long term memory, or for disposal, as we do form new synaptic pathways based on what we learn and experience on particular occasions, and this usually happens during and just before sleep, or when the brain is experiencing alpha waves as would happen during a successful meditation session.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Hi wantsome.

I'd just like to clear up that I am confident that it's not a mental illness or schitzophrenia. I literally do think that I am accessing a subconscious part af my mind. There would be no need for me to seek medical attention for it. The meaning (if any) of the random conversations and where they come from is what i would like to know.

I never have hallucinations or voices telling me to do things or anything like that. I live a normal life although I am on Propranalol which is a beta-blocker for migraines which may or may not have something to do with it.

It doesn't interfere with my life in any way it is simply there when I am tired and doing a mundane task as benign.psychosis said.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Hi all,

I found this very interesting as well. Many people have said the same.

At first (maybe 2-3 years ago) I was always saying: schizophrenia, or mental illness, I don’t know- crazy people...bla bla.
Until it happen to me.

I was like- what?

I will tell one of many stories:

I was looking at something near my bad at my house, and I hear (and almost seen 2 people in my head) say to each other about some women who apparently did something bed to her kids in a name of God. It was strange because I turn and I said to them: “you see, this is why people should die...” (At the time, I was very angry at people hurting children and I didn’t believe in God as I do now, and at the time I thought people used God for poor excuse to hurt innocent. Now- not that, that doesn’t happened,
Then one of them turns to me and said: Don’t say that!
I turn back and said to myself: “I guess I should shut up.” I was ashamed I acted like that. When I said I turn to them, I mean I physically turn, but they where not there physically, but all this image was in my mind. I was strange, (so I wan't be hurt if you insult me and say "crazzzyyy") lol
it doesn’t really matter, it is only fair to be your turn...

I also often hear support, like when I am angry and mad and I just hate people (after i hear bed news) it happens, even after the “change”

I always get:
Do not use anger, or hate or negative thoughts... it is always short, not many words, but when you hear them the message is very clear and confident, or firm. I wonder what it means, I have changed a lot (for the better) I am more patience with people, and more forgiving. I do know that God has something to do with this change.

I always wonder now, if the people who said:" I hear voices, if they were telling the truth? what if they were hearing it from beings we can not see, who live side by side here but in astol world? Like in bible or very old stories. Something to think about.

Thank you all

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   
can everyone here double think, when you think about something and you sort of behind think something else. Its like if your taking out loud and thinking about something different at the same time (without the talking out loud part).

for the guy who talks to imaginary women (lol)
Perhaps its your subconcious creating a simulation about what you are thinking or debating about in your mind. does this happen when your tired? because they say that you subconcious takes over when your asleep so it could have some power when your awake but sleepy.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 02:07 PM
link   

can everyone here double think, when you think about something and you sort of behind think something else. Its like if your taking out loud and thinking about something different at the same time (without the talking out loud part).

Thats exactly what I mean and it is realy dificult to explain without sounding crazy lol. I can be thinking but these secondary thoughts are happening beneath that without any influence from my conscious mind.

As for the voices.. maybe some people do hear them for real. They are automatically labelled 'mental'. As I originally said. There may be the possibility that these voices do really exist 'somewhere else' be it elsewhere location wise or dare i say it... in a parallell dimension!

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 02:53 PM
link   
The thing about when the double think happens to me is that i can control what im thinking in both places. but its hard i try to do it on purpose sometimes, i find its best to sing to lyrics of a song in your head and then try thinking about global warming at the same time

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I'm glad you brought this up. Some people believe, and I am part of those people, that it is actually your guardian angels talking to either you or talking between themselves. When you're tired your brain stops thinking too much and you just relax or focus on small things like brushing your teeth, actually whenever you just stop your continuous mental chatter, you can hear those voices, but if you stop and try to listen to what's going on in your own mind you're actually stoping the flow of thoughts from going into your mind and you hear nothing at all. People reccommend meditation for hearing those voices because when you meditate you focus on something simple like your breathing, thus you don't cut the flow of thoughts, and that's how you can hear those voices more clearly.

By example, when I was around 15, my life sucked because I was very shy at school and had no friends, I was walking home very sad after a day of school and kept asking myself, god, the universe, why? Why was my life like that? I kept mentally repeating why why why why. Then at some point in my head a thought said "Because that's what you have chosen". I was surprised by that thought because I did not remember consciously thinking it. Later on, I made some spiritual research and found websites that said that we are on earth because we have chosen to be in a physical form and live experiences to gain wisedom. In other words, in the spirit world your spirit self chooses roughly the "script" of your life, and how it ends, and important events, but the rest of the story is up to you to write in the present time. So I thought, wow this makes sense, my spirit self probably has chosen for me to live a difficult childhood to make me learn things that I would not have learned otherwise, things that I needed to learn to fulfill my destiny in this lifetime.

But, I don't think it is all there is to this. Maybe we hear the things other people are thinking around us, not just what our guardian spirits tell us.

Also once, I was in class then the name Diego Garcia pops in my mind stuningly clearly, I have no idea how, and I swear to the universe I'm not lieing. And I made a research and Diego Garcia is actually an island! I mean wtf? And I never heard of my entire life heard of that island. That island apparently has a military base on it. I don't know, maybe it has an importance of some sort in my life, or something happened on that island that day I heard that name. It's amazing really. Listen to the chatter, you never know.

Diego Garcia: www.infoplease.com...

[edit on 13-8-2007 by Atlantix]

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 11:08 AM
link   
"Atlantix" I believe you are close to the truth.

I do think, we chosen our path (I like to think we did) because that will make séance, and it will make me feel better, because this world or "realty" doesn't. I feel like, I chose almost nothing here; everything is fad to us from birth to death.

I can't wait to trough up; I feel sick.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Atlantix, Although I don't believe in guardian angels as such, you make a good point. I do believe that maybe our path is already chosen and its up to us to figure out how to get there.

As a very self aware person, I firmly believe that any bad times I have had in the past have made me stronger and the person I am now. If those things hadn't have happened i would most likely be totally different. I very much go with the flow of life and whenever i have a choice.. make the decision that feels right.. not what i think i 'should' do. Its worked so far.

Anyway I digress, These voices.. guardian angels, inner self, extra-dimensional beings I dont know but maybe I will try the meditation idea to see if I can hear them then.

Oh I also as well as the background conversations get the random names and words pop into my head.. i've never googled them though.. a good idea!

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I have an answer...It's called a "hypnagogic state". I too had experiences like those described when I was a teen. Voices, random noise, images in my minds eye like I was watching a movie, sounds which sometimes reminded me of a radio station dial being turned very fast... The conversations and images were un-nerving enough that I asked my psychologist if it was possible that I was developing schizophrenia. A clear distinction I learned about was that if the voices are talking TO you, like offering advice, threats, criticisms, etc...then yeah, it's schizophrenia. If the voices are random and non-directed, like background noise or a conversation you weren't really paying attention to, then it's called being in a hypnagogic state. It usually happens when you're in that state between falling asleep and being awake.

**from wikipedia: Hypnagogic experiences occur as one is falling asleep, while hypnopompic experiences occur as one is waking up--both experiences occur within the time period between sleep and waking (or vice versa). Experienced qualities vary, and include fear, awareness of a "presence", chest or back pressure, and an inability to breathe (hence the folkloric notion of mara-like creatures tormenting sleepers), a falling sensation or a feeling of tripping, but sometimes also joy.

Auditory sensations are often described as incomprehensible noises rather than distinctive sounds.

During the hypnagogic state, an individual may appear to be fully awake, but has brain waves indicating that the individual is technically sleeping. Also, the individual may be completely aware of their state, which enables lucid dreamers to enter the dream state consciously directly from the waking state (see wake-initiated lucid dream technique).

The hypnagogic state is sometimes proposed as an explanation of experiences such as alien abduction, apparitions, or visions

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I can somewhat relate to voices in my head. I have very poor hearing in my right ear and one day a good while back I realized I read lips, heavily I think.

However if I try consciously to read lips I fail but without thinking I can listen to a conversation on the other side of a restaurant inside of my head. I tend to lull into it. I tend to also notice changes in attitude and body language so that plays into it some. Like an uncanny ability to pick out a fight about to happen in a bar, which I could do in my younger bar days.

Interesting thing is I keep up with the conversation at my table and such, usually. On occasion my wife will speak up and I refocus my attention, a bit miffed.

I have had hearing checked routinely over my life due to my right ear and other reasons. I don’t wear a hearing aide either, yet hearing the conversation in my head appears as if I have bionic hearing.

Now if only I knew I was actually reading lips right or making up my own soundtrack. Thus I can somewhat relate to hearing random conversations in my head

All the other times music is running through my head in some form of fashion.

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I used to have that problem, then I put in call waiting and its all good. Just kidding. The on going conversation at the back of my head used to bother me, until I realized that I'm not crazy, and it was another part of my mind at work. Call it the subconscious or Fred or what ever, it just seemed to be back there working through problems and occasionally giving me answers. Once I accepted it, I learned to use the extra space to do some interesting mind tricks. I now can build up a complete engine in my mind and run it through its movements to help me diagnose problems in vehicles and aircraft.
When I design something, say a boat, I can build it in my mind and check it for flaws and errors before I put it down on paper.
The down side is that some nights it won't shut down and just revs like a drag car until dawn. Very annoying. But I find that meditation and disciplined visuallation of a colour will usually quell it.
But if the voices become louder, or start to tell you what to do, go talk to your doctor. Don't take chances with that sort of thing. Uncontrolled, it could ruin your life or even end it.

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 02:43 AM
link   
I wouldnt be too worried if I were you. What you are experiencing is simply your inner dialogue, or what some therapists might refer to as a chattering mind. This part of your brain is also responsible for your conscience as well as other automated voices that may appear in your own mind. People with low self esteem or depression usually experience these voices, but in their cases the voices are deeply nagative and constantly focus on bad things. It is all perfectly normal to hear conversations or chatter inside of your head, it is the result of a hyper active brain, and I believe it also to be a very important part of the creative process. Your mind is continuing to run off of stored memory data while you attempt to shut down your mind for sleep. Unfortunately you can never silence your own consciousness.

Cool thread, very interesting

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 06:40 AM
link   
ahh the hypnogogic state sounds the most likely explanation. I'd never heard of this before now but seeing as it only happens when I am trying to wind down and tiredmakes sense.

Also on a side note

Experienced qualities vary, and include fear, awareness of a "presence", chest or back pressure, and an inability to breathe (hence the folkloric notion of mara-like creatures tormenting sleepers), a falling sensation or a feeling of tripping, but sometimes also joy.

I'm sure many people get this.. If i wake up to go to the toilet at night, sometimes I get a horrible feeling like Someone is at the bathroom window or standing behind me. Sometimes I really get a feeling that the power will go off and i will be in total darkness with whatever is watching me. Scary stuff.

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 11:42 AM
link   
This happens to me too, just before I fall asleep....I will have thoughts/images/hear people talking that I have no control over. Almost like a movie or a recording playing.

It's strange sometimes but I'm glad to see other people experience this too!

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   
What ElectRon41 said about a "hypnagogic state" sounds about right. I've never personally experienced it myself except just before or after sleeping... never during the day.

However, I do often have "conversations" in my head with imaginary people or between two aspects of myself (emotional vs. logical). It's simply my way of figuring out problems.

[edit on 8/22/2007 by Kruel]

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I have those voices often. Usually I can tell if it's me(different personalities? hah) or if I'm picking up signals of others spirits or alive. I've had this since I was a kid. I came up with the part of knowing it's myself talking to myself, but in many levels, as possibly normal, as the mind has many levels.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join