It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proposal & Course Outline for a B.A. in Ufology

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 04:46 PM
link   
The following is a theoretical outline for a comprehensive major in Ufology at the Bachelor’s Degree level. It attempts to cover the field of Ufology in a comprehensive manner, both past and present. All courses are required. In addition, the student must fulfill the distribution requirements of the College of Arts & Sciences. Note that the requirements for the UFO Major are more onerous than most majors and may require additional quarters of study. A student graduating from this course of study can be expected to be knowledgeable about all facets of the field of Ufology. Next step is to prepare detailed course descriptions & reading lists.

Major Courses Requirements: The UFO List

UFO 101 (5) Introduction to Ufology
A worldwide overview of Ufology intended for the non-major. The course covers possible ancient UFOs along with a modern timeline of the major UFO cases.

UFO 201 (5) Historical Ufology to 1946
In-depth study of historical Ufology covering ancient texts that could be interpreted as UFOs, ancient stories, as well as historical interpretations of phenomenon such as fairies that could be interpreted in modern times as alien beings.

UFO 202 (5) Ufology 1941-1973
An overview of Ufology in the nascent years paralleling Richard Dolan’s “UFOs and the national security State,” which covers the government action related to UFOs, a possible cover up and suppression of UFO information.

UFO 203 (5) Ufology 1973-Present
Overview of the major cases in Ufology from 1973 until the present with particular emphasis on governmental involvement.

UFO 220 (5) Roswell
Intensive course on the 1947 Roswell crash which investigates the literature, personalities, witnesses, the MJ-12 documents, and current controversy over the most famous UFO crash of all time.

UFO 340 (5) The Contactee Movement
Exploration of the Contactee movement beginning with George Adamski in the 50’s up until the present time.

UFO 346 (5) The Abductees
Overview of the UFO abductee issue including both academic and popular treatments. Mack, Jacobs, Hopkins, and Strieber will be featured as well as more skeptical authors.

UFO 350 (5) Cover-up and Disclosure
The “Disclosure” movement will be analyzed in detail including the major players and their activities. Students will have a full understanding of Disclosure at the end of this course.

UFO 355 (5) The Debunkers
The Ufological world is a contentious one. The major debunkers such as Klass, Menzel, the United States Air Force, and other major players will be studied. Students will be aware of all major debunkers and their stance by the end of this course.

UFO 401 (3) UFO Hoaxes
There are many acknowledged hoaxes that have been perpetrated on the UFO field, beginning in the fifties and on to the present day. Major acknowledged hoaxes such as Serpo will be studied along with an analysis of the usual hoaxing patterns.

UFO 410 (3) The Inter-dimensional and other hypotheses
The ‘Nuts & Bolts” hypothesis is the most prevalent theory about UFOs, but there are others exploring the possibility of an inter-dimensional component. Proponents of this alternative viewpoint, including authors such as Jacques Vallee, will be studied.

UFO 348 (3) UFO Cults
Many contactees wind up starting religions based on their UFO beliefs. The Raelians, Billy Meier, Heaven’s Gate , Adamski, Bethurum, and will be studied.

UFO 450 (3) Case Studies in Ufology
Selected case studies of the major UFO incidents of the modern era will be discussed. Please see the syllabus for a listing of cases.

UFO 460 (3) Ufological resources
Resources from books to organizations to the Internet will be studied. The student will have a solid grasp of all sources of UFO information by the end of this course.

UFO 465 (3) UFO Personalities: The Players
The UFO field has and has had major players that have influenced the movement over the years. From J. Allen Hynek and Walt Andrus to Steven Greer and John Lear, all have had, for good or bad, a major impact on the field.

UFO 498 (3) Individual Research
Topics for individual research may be negotiated on a quarterly basis between student and faculty.

UFO 499 (3) Thesis

Auxiliary Required Courses for the UFO Major. These courses or their equivalent must be completed in addition to the required credits in the UFO Major. (Source: University of Washington (Seattle) Course Catalog)

BIO-A 201 (5) Introduction to Physical Anthropology
Evolution and adaptation of the human species. Evidence from fossil record and living populations of monkeys, apes, and humans. Interrelationships between human physical and cultural variation and environment; role of natural selection in shaping our evolutionary past, present, and future. Offered:

BIO-A 388 (5) Human Fossils and Evolution
Evolution of human anatomy and behavior as adaptations to changing environments. Human fossils: their geological context, age, ecological setting used to reconstruct the evolution of our species during the last six million years of earth history. Prerequisite: BIO A 201

NEAR E 220 (5) Ancient Egypt Culture & Civilization
Surveys the peoples, places and events of the ancient Near East. Examines the cultures of Mesopotamia, Egypt, Canaan, and Israel with an eye to each culture's cultural contributions. Pays special attention to shared cultural elements as well as distinguishing characteristics of the peoples of these regions.

STAT 220 (5) Basic Statistics
Objectives and pitfalls of statistical studies. Structure of data sets, histograms, means, and standard deviations. Correlation and regression. Probability, binomial and normal. Interpretation of estimates, confidence intervals, and significance tests.

PHIL 115 (5) Practical Reasoning
Introduction to logic emphasizing concepts and methods useful for practical analysis of arguments in everyday contexts; meaning, syllogisms, logical diagrams, inductive and statistical inference, informal fallacies, argument structure, perhaps some beginning symbolic logic.

PHIL 120 (5) Introduction to Logic (120:5)
Elementary symbolic logic. The development, application, and theoretical properties of an artificial symbolic language designed to provide a clear representation of the logical structure of deductive arguments.

ASTBIO 115 (5) Astrobiology, Life in the Universe
Introduction to the new science of astrobiology, study of the origin and evolution of life on Earth, and the search for microbial and intelligent life elsewhere in the Universe. Designed for non-science, liberal arts majors.

ASTR 101 (5) Astronomy
Introduction to the universe, with emphasis on conceptual, as contrasted with mathematical, comprehension. Modern theories, observations; ideas concerning nature, evolution of galaxies; quasars, stars, black holes, planets, solar system.

ESS 102 (5) Space and Space Travel
Explores powering the sun, making of space weather conditions, observations from space and from Earth, Earth's space environment, radiation belts and hazards, plasma storms and auroras, electron beams, spacecraft requirements, tooling up for manned exploration.

ESS 101 (5) Physical Geology
Survey of the physical systems that give the earth its form. Emphasizes the dynamic nature of interior and surface processes and their relevance to mankind and stresses the value of rocks and earth forms in the understanding of past events.

ESS 102 (5) Historical Geology
Historical geology is the study of the evolution of landforms and life-forms through geologic time. Geologic features such as rock types and fossils are used to interpret and date past events. The first third of the course introduces the basic geologic principles underlying historical geology.

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Great Schu! I went searching for your post on this last week or so and I was going to bring it up again but never got around to it. I'm glad you posted an update on this and it certainly seems to be very feasible idea.

The only other course I would add to this would be a Forensic Physics course which may come in handy for on-site investigations. Having taken this course back years ago as an undergrad, I can see how it could be applicable to this field of study.

I think a degree program in Ufology is the wave of the future as more and more people out there are acutely aware that UFOs exist where many people either have had their own sightings or they have family members or friends who have seen them at one time or another.

We need to remember that the vast majority of those who are witness to such sightings do not report them to the police, coast guard, national guard or even to online UFO reporting sites. I know I didn't report my sighting of those 2 triangle UFO's and the 3 others I was with, as far as I know, did not report them either.

Yet, when you see something like this, especially if it appears at a close enough range to be able to say with absolute certainty that it's unlike anything you've ever seen before, it sticks with you where there's not a day that goes by where you don't think about what you saw that day. It's got that affect on people and I know that other witnesses are saying the same thing. Especially for these individuals, such an academic program would be very appealing to them in many ways and on many levels.

For those who have never seen UFOs, but nevertheless are intensely curious about the phenomenon including the possibility of beings visiting us from other worlds, and there are a lot of those too, I'm sure such individuals would be interested in getting a degree or even a certificate of completion prog. in this field if one were out there like the one you are proposing.

[edit on 10-8-2007 by Palasheea]

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Wow - 124 +/- semester hours! That's quite a load!

Seriously, I've got to respect the time and effort you've put into compiling such a rigorous curriculum.

Question: Who would commit to such a program? Interesting and even necessary as it may be, I kind of doubt there would be many undergraduates that would sign up for such a program. For one thing, most published UFO researchers admit that they are, and have been, trudging on via a labor-of-love motivation and that their 'first' careers (and formal education) were far removed from UFOlogy. MUFON, NICAP, and the others all recommend fledgling UFO wannabes 'get a real job' before devoting much time to the field. None of their 'positions' are paying - it's an all-volunteer force.

And that's the issue: There just are no career paths to pursue in the field. Why would a high school graduate dedicate years and thousands of dollars to pursue a program that has almost NO HOPE of yielding a paying job at the end? No scholarships, no funding sources at all really, and few parents would agree to flip their savings into such a loss-leader.

And then we have the Universities: Would any accredited institution allocate the resources - faculty (who?), laboratories, classrooms, admin staff, etc. - to such a program? Doubtful. You might get one of those degree-by-mail outfits to sign-on, but they have a profit motive, and my guess is they would need a lot of convincing that such a curriculum would attract enough interest.

Nevertheless - I commend the initiative, Schuyler. One might ask - who would pursue such a 4-year+ program? Answer: I would. Or, would have, had I been independently wealthy already when I was selecting a major at university.

Now, for someone like you or me, perhaps with several degrees already, a Doctorate program may make more sense. Professional certification and credentialing for die-hard UFOologists would go a long way toward getting to the bottom of many issues - might open a few more doors as well. Now that's something I could jump into.

BTW - lots of 5-unit courses: those are usually the heavy-duty classes. How did you determine which subjects deserved 5 as opposed to 3 units. Also - I'd add a lab component to some of these. Field work/Lab work, e.g. in the astronomy, geology, anthro segments would be particularly helpful.

Good job...

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 07:52 AM
link   
schuylar, great job!

I must concur with Outrageo that I am not sure about the level of commitment from undergraduates due to the economic outlook for this. I know that while I would enjoy the course, at my age and health, it would be a labor of love and nothing I could expect to see any benefit from. (Unless ET lands soon and suddenly there is a huge demand for people with some knowledge in the area.)

I am looking forward to your course descriptions and reading list.

Again, a very fine effort. Now if we can get funding from ATS, with all their extra millions that need to be invested.

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Wow! Cool post, and what a great idea! That course outline is very interesting, and if I had the time and the venue, I would love to get that degree...

So, okay, I just graduated with my Bachelor of Arts in UFOlogy. I party it up with my classmates then wake up the next morning. Where do I go to apply for my first job? Right off the bat I think my best option is to go back to school to get my masters in some specialization, and then work for the college that I got my B.A. from and help the profs with class lectures, and marking papers, exams until I complete my thesis for my doctorate.
Now, once I have attained a doctorate in some branch of UFOlogy, what are my options? Continue to teach at some college or university? Write some books maybe? Go on a speech presentation tour making some money that way, but the material better be original though, otherwise people are not going to come and see you talk if you are just regurgitating old ufo sightings and stories.
Maybe go and apply to NASA, or some other space agency? If they were to hire you though, would they be admitting to the potential existence of ufo "pre-knowledge", or giving credence to the whole ufo conpiracy field of thought?
What would a starting wage be for a fresh grad with a B.A. UFOlogy? After 4 plus years of post secondary and all the debt that goes with it, the starting wage better be about 60,000 plus to make ends meet and pay off that massive student loan, etc. Well you are not going to make 60k touring the country giving speeches unless you have something revelating to say.... Really, the only job I can forsee for the start of this degree is teaching or lecturing for courses...

I would also like to suggest that you provide an alternative to the B.A. and provide a route for a B.Sci. in UFOlogy. This route could focus more so on the physical sciences of UFO's, flight characteristics, potential construction, etc, rather than so many courses on the history of sightings and timelines of history, etc. Or maybe compress the "history" type courses into fewer courses maybe?

At any rate, awesome start to this school of thought. I can easily foresee this being an educational faculty route at colleges in the future at some point. Maybe you will have a UFO School or faculty on some campus named after you for this preliminary work you are doing now... Hehehe...

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Schu, tho i havent yet been "blessed" the curricula you have outlined is awesome
Surely there must be an institution somewhere willing to host same ?

Considering the resources and opinions around at this time on the given subject...

I think you've done an awesome job with this post Schu, so well thought out, with enough of both the "Esoteric" disciplines together with mainstream scientific disciplines...

Count me in

Peace

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Wow, I thought this had died. Thanks for the comments. I agree with you. It's not likely that there are jobs in Ufology, but hey! Are there jobs when you graduate in English or Anthropology? This was more like a thought piece addressing one of my continuing concerns about the field and what I would like to do myself, plus what I wish others would try. Ufology is long on opinion and short on fact.

I agree that it is unlikely an accredited institution would touch this, particularly if it were tax supported and subsidized. The hue and cry would be wide and vociferous. It could be used in an 'Experimental College' setting where it is student supported and done via volunteers, but that begs the question of who would teach them.

People doing their own coursework can often manipulate requirements to suit them. I have a friend who earned a Masters in Psychology. He concentrated, somehow, on astrology. he became a profssiona Dead Head and followed the band around the world, so you can see his degree helped immensely. :-)

The auxilliary courses listed are real ones taught at the University of Washington in Seattle. I think they would be just delightful to take and serve to round out some of the issues. A person taking those would be a little less-likely to either criticize statistics or indulge in faster-than-light fantasies without thinking through the issues first.

It's possible a group of dedicated volunteers could set up an online cirriculum ala Phoenix University and pursue the issue that way. BO XIAN was going to pursue talking to his dean about possibilities, but after a questionnaire on interest died with few replies I think the whole idea just kind of went away.

So my approach from here on out is to take those courses and flesh them out, adding a reading list for the varioius aspects as a way to expand on it. I'd like to ask for input as I go through here about what should be covered in each area. Eventually I would just post the whole thing online which someone could follow independently if they so chose.

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Sign me up! I am a believer in life-long self-directed learning and would see this course-specification as a plus for reasons both personal and public. A better "tool" is sharpened with "skills".

Cheers,

Vic

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   
No one would hire you with such a silly degree. I'd personally laugh at any college that implemented such a program.

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Johnmike
No one would hire you with such a silly degree. I'd personally laugh at any college that implemented such a program.

I see you have TWO red flags, only one your own. Perhaps it is for comments like this. Of course you would laugh at it. Why am I not surprised? You don't know much about the phenomenon, and that is precisely the point. People think they are entitled to comment even though they are woefully ignorant of the subject. This thought piece is designed to promote the idea that people can educate themselves on some of the issues so that they might contribute in a fashion to earn points, rather than have them taken away for silly comments.

If you had been paying attention, you would understand that there is no expectation of getting a UFO job, nor of finding a college that would implement such a curricula. You would also notice that the issue is couched in terms of sociology and psychology--not from a believer standpoint. Indeed, you could make a case that this wasn't so much about believing in UFOs as it was understanding the sociological phenomenon, particularly in popular culture. I, for one, would love to study contactees and abductees from the perspective of a manifestation of disease. I know I'm jumping to conclusions here, but I really don't think people talk to aliens on a daily basis. In other words, it is my opinion that Milton is not real, something to develop in another thread.

Having worked through this, if I were the recruiting manager for the NWO Masonic Illuminanti MIB Black Ops Division, I think a person with this background is just the kind of lackey I'd want to hire.

[edit on 8/12/2007 by schuyler]

new topics

top topics

join