It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sources: U.S. assessing Pakistan nukes if Musharraf falls

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Sources: U.S. assessing Pakistan nukes if Musharraf falls

www.cnn.com

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- U.S. military intelligence officials are urgently assessing how secure Pakistan's nuclear weapons would be in the event President Gen. Pervez Musharraf were replaced as the nation's leader, CNN has learned.

Analysts wonder how secure Pakistan's nuclear weapons would be if President Pervez Musharraf were replaced.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Removed copy/paste over the 500 character limit.

[edit on 10-8-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Now, that is some serious stuff. I've mentioned in some thread some time ago, if US is afraid of nukes, it should turn its eyes to Pakistan, not Iran (at this moment). Some recent news have shown that Musharraf's position isn't really stable, and it's only a matter of time when he falls. In that case , nuclear weapons could fall in the wrong hands, and we all know what that could mean.

www.cnn.com

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Considering that there are some rather extremist figures within the Pakistani elite, the army for example, it could be very worrying indeed.

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Great. This just what we need while ol goofball is still in office. If Musharraf was ousted from office, I guarantee we would have some sort of clandestine operations going on there within a week to try and "stabilize" the region. Basically just setting the scene for us to go in and take what we want, kill the locals, and anger everyone else around us.

If someone crazy like Irans Ahamadinijihad came to office, then we could just include pakistan along with Afghanistan, Syrian, Iraq and Iran.

Wow, that would take my kids, kids, kids, kids into the same war that GW started.

Scary indeed.

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Pakistan's nuclear delivery capabilities can reach China, India, Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, and smaller nearby nations. If positioned further into the north or west of Pakistan: Israel, Russia, etc.

Their nuclear weapons are no where near US or Russian strength, however still nuclear. Taliban is in Pakistan, if Pakistan goes into riot mode, then Taliban COULD take those nuclear facilities, or other groups... just so happens their hated enemies are in range! US, Israel, Russia, China, and India! A literal gold mine...

Hence: US is worried.

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 07:32 AM
link   
We would flatten all of Pakistan if a radical took over and im sure India would be very happy to help.

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Did i read somewhere this week that america said that india as an independent nation has a right to fire of its nukes. Was that statement to do with this scenario in pakistan at the moment.

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sky watcher
We would flatten all of Pakistan if a radical took over and im sure India would be very happy to help.

I seriously doubt that. Who ever uses their nukes first will automatically become an international pariah and rightfully so, it would be a sin against ALL of humanity, not just those bombed.

The bush minor administration would have to be bigger idiots than we already know them to be to not be seriously concerned about Musharraf and Pakistan's nukes. What I certainly hope is that they know the location of every single one and have plans instead of nuking Pakistan, to seize them instead.

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 09:06 AM
link   

You sound more radical some some ATS Al Q. members.... and I'm sure India would NOT be happy to help and neither would her neighbors. Ever hear of a little something called Radioactive Fallout?

A Crime against ALL of Humanity indeed...

As for this situation, I really do hope that the US has plans for extracting ALL the nukes should things go awry over there. Nuking them into a Glass Factory wouldn't get rid of the nukes, it would just ensure that they would get launched at the first hint of a US/India Nuke Attack.

[edit on 11-8-2007 by sardion2000]

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Rigggghht sieze them when one million extreamist are gaurding them Ok. The only way to remove the threat would be to obliderate the nukes sites. If a Taliban friendly general takes control we would have at the most one hour to take action and India may beat us to the punch. Its a scary situation that knowone wants to have happen but it is a very likely one.

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Rigggghht sieze them when one million extreamist are gaurding them Ok. The only way to remove the threat would be to obliderate the nukes sites. If a Taliban friendly general takes control we would have at the most one hour to take action and India may beat us to the punch. Its a scary situation that knowone wants to have happen but it is a very likely one.

I believe it was discussed in another thread that the nukes are kept in separate stages a comfortable (but easy to get together in a hurry) distance from each other. I guess you could just target the delivery systems if you know where they are but finding the warheads as well could be tricky and those are probably what you want to get to before anything else if such an operation was put into action.

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 09:16 AM
link   
And how would you do that? Use Nuclear Bunker Busters contaminating the water supply and sending up even more radioactive dust into the atmosphere then a conventional Nuke? Yeah. Great plan there.

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Duby78

Now, that is some serious stuff. I've mentioned in some thread some time ago, if US is afraid of nukes, it should turn its eyes to Pakistan, not Iran (at this moment). Some recent news have shown that Musharraf's position isn't really stable, and it's only a matter of time when he falls. In that case , nuclear weapons could fall in the wrong hands, and we all know what that could mean.

www.cnn.com

you mention a bit by iran well iran has the right to nuclear ENERGY who says they are building a bomb oh yea bush so every one folows him.
iran has the right to nuclear energy it has not broken the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty
while countries like israel how are not apart of this treaty are aloud to have 200 plus nukes which threatens every single muslim country.

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 09:23 AM
link   

what you say is ridiculous bomb a country a country were my family lives that idea is insane bombing a country to thge stone age that would just make more extreamist seing another muslim country wiped out/attacked all muslim will be angry and there would be attacks every were and i cant live with that.

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by manzoor

you mention a bit by iran well iran has the right to nuclear ENERGY who says they are building a bomb oh yea bush so every one folows him.
iran has the right to nuclear energy it has not broken the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty
while countries like israel how are not apart of this treaty are aloud to have 200 plus nukes which threatens every single muslim country.

There's hard evidence Iran was trying to separate Polonium 210. Most reasonable purpose:to trigger an a-bomb[pretty easily]. And they have signed the treaty, so there is reason enough to santion them..
Anyways, this is to be considered a threat on its own. As seen in a Clingendael report the Pakistani situation is also intertwined with Afghanistan and the relation of India with that country.
An instable Pakistan brings instablity in Afghanistan, the latter is also important for Pakistan because they also see the growing influence of India with their investments in Afghanistan. Pakistan also sees Afghanistan as a possible area to extract to in a possible war with India..
The presence of Taliban near[beyond] the border between Pakistan/Afghanistan is related with the growing unrest in Pakistan. Plus the fact that Pakistani intelligence makes regular contact with the Taliban.
This is a complicated situation that indeed needs more attention then Iran at this moment. Iran should be Israels bussiness, its their threat.
Good relations should be maintained with Pakistani military.Plans should be made for the worst case scenario's so the three main ports of the country are to be blockaded, and communications, silo's and delivery systems neutralized it an emp attack for instance

[edit on 11-8-2007 by Foppezao]

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Funny, last i checked 1 million "extremists" had never done anything together at once. Do you people even THINK of the numbers you bandy about sometimes?
Besides, the nukes are stored in seperate peices. They would spirit them away to places unknown in an ahour, perhaps, but launching them in an hour? Not likely, not likely at all. Its the spiriting away you worry about.

And for your information, we would not have to "nuke" the sites, we could theoreticly use some MOABS.

[edit on 11-8-2007 by D.E.M.]

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 09:27 AM
link   
More news abut situation in Pakistan:

US intelligence investigates Pakistan's nuclear security and the military’s loyalty to Musharraf as the Northwest Frontier Province spins further out of control

As the security situation in the Northwest Frontier Province continues to deteriorate and President Pervez Musharraf's political stock continues to drop, the US military intelligence community is "urgently assessing how secure Pakistan's nuclear weapons would be in the event President Gen. Pervez Musharraf were replaced." Meanwhile, the Taliban and al Qaeda have dispersed operatives from the training camps in the Northwest Frontier Province and are preparing to fight on their own terms.

Pakistan: Concern over nukes as al Qaeda camps empty

I encourage people to read this entire article.

I bet that situation concerning Pakistan is actually worse then we think. And to consider all other events that were happening this week... just like in some of Tom Clancy's book!

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Foppezao
There's hard evidence Iran was trying to separate Polonium 210.

From whom cheney the dick and the bush administration? hardly credible sources.

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 11:38 AM
link   
it sure seems the U.S. got all caught up in Iraq and ?forgot? about the 1st
neocon target...

or was the non-buildup & occupation of the Afghanistan/Caspian Basin
by US troops in support of Unocal...just a diversion & Trojan Horse tactic?
by letting the Taliban/al-Qaeda/Jihadist militants migrate towards
the frontiers in Pakistan all along?

then when the bearded Mullahs & AQ are in active conflict with the U.S. client-state of Pakistan,
then the 'spinn' media can distort events to make real the threat of a Rogue Pakistan, controlled by Mullahs, with a fist full of nuclear bombs
raises the possibility of some nuclear weapons being made available to
AQ in Iraq for example...

all these elements makes a preemptive strike on Pakistan a very real scenario...

note: consider the B-2 bombers re-assigned to Guam in recent days,
Guam is only 1/3 the distance to a WNW target in Pakistan - than the far distanced stateside launch of B-1 & B-2 from those Missouri airfields.

new topics

top topics

join