It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

[HOAX] Haiti UFO Video - YouTube - [HOAX]

page: 93
<< 90  91  92    94  95  96 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 07:57 PM
link   
admin edit: we don't post personal information on ATS, no matter the source.

[edit on 8-29-2007 by Springer]

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by chunder
I don't believe that at any point the author ever attempted to pass off the footage as real.

Therefore no hoax so why ban.

[edit on 28-8-2007 by chunder]

Chunder I have a lot of respect for you, but from where you say that he never intended the hoax?

1. Video posted on You Tube with no warning that it was CGI.

2. He gets involved here in the debate as Ummofriend without acknowledging that it was he's creation and is clearly trying to influence the way the debate is conducted. ( Check his posts)

3. In the LA Times article he clearly mentions that he was trying a "social experiment", WITH US!!!, I mean it does not get more repugnant than this and for this community to take it in stride like nothing happens it will send us 10 steps back. We were the mice and he was the scientist, wow now I feel better!

IMO this guy is no better tha Ghost Raven, John Titor people, Adamski and all the others.

Was he good? Yes
Does he has talent? No question
Is he a hoaxer? ABSOLUTELY

To befriend this guy it will be a SLAP in the face to all the guys that use their CGI skill towards debunking this type of stuff, treating this individual like he the best that ever live would be a shame and a mIstake.

[edit on 28-8-2007 by Bunch]

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bunch
To befriend this guy it will be a SLAP in the face to all the guys that use their CGI skill towards debunking this type of stuff, treating this individual like he the best that ever live would be a shame and a mIstake.

Here, here! I couldn't agree with your post more. What he did was totally shameful. Hoaxers deserve no respect unless they declare hoax to begin with.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Well, I just picked this up from yahoo news now August-28-07. Makes sence to me. It is a hoax. At first I thought that it was real when I saw the video here at ATS. Well now I want one of those RC UFO's! Where can I get one?! Here's the link: video.yahoo.com...

Enjoy.

Amon Goeth

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Whoever is doing all this hoaxing is doing it why? Oh yeah.....Viral marketing. Just like the CHAD drones. Weird how nothing ever came of that marketing. And everybody was so sure. Actually all you have to do is debunk something in the beginning and the masses forget. Sheep! The media has it down. Just check the yahoo homepage it is already explaining the debunking: video.yahoo.com...

I'm still on the fence in regards to this video. But I find it hard to believe high end CGI coming out of a third world country for snickers and giggles. There are a lot cheaper ways to go about a hoax.

I personally don't think this video is the end all proof needed to prove UFO existence, but the point is, how will we ever know. The ONLY example that made any sense to me was how the trees matched exactly. Then it occurred to me. So do pine trees, and many other trees. So, in reality it was fairly pathetic. I wouldn't have thought much of it, if it wasn't for the speed with which it was tackled and the quickness it made it to the yahoo front page. In fact I would have paid it little mind at all. This is a big enough deal to someone to spend hours debunking it. It's just a cheesy video right?

-Now I am wondering

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I am not claiming the video is real in any sense of the word. I suppose my biggest point is to bring light of how vigorously the video is being attacked and the fervor with which it has drawn the public into understanding UFO videos are a hoax.

For all we know this was all done on purpose.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Bunch, PJ

In general I totally agree with your comments regarding hoaxers - this I see as a bit different.

No claim was made when the video was posted on YT - the fact it wasn't labelled as a hoax by the author or a warning that it was CGI is surely neither here nor there. There are clips showing dangerous stunts - they don't have a warning not to try this at home and I guess you can extrapolate that a hundred ways to provide a number of examples probably better than mine. Anything on YT must come with the automatic warning viewer beware. It was everybody else's reaction to this video that is suspect - the very fact that no supporting evidence or any claim was made with it and that it surfaced on YT should have meant false until proven otherwise, which is generally how real claims are treated anyway. Please note these comments are not in hindsight, I did post the same much earlier in the thread.

He only got involved in the debate for 2 posts before admitting to be the author and if you read those there were enough pointers as to who we were dealing with. As I didn't post at the time that can be considered as hindsight though. I don't think you can say he tried to perpetuate any hoax though, as others have done. Sure he could have admitted earlier but why - no claims have been made and really the work that was being done on this thread to debunk it as CGI was pretty effective.

If you want to compare the experiment to scientists and mice well the mice learnt the maze on day one and jumped out and bit the scientist on day two. Nothing was initially directed at ATS - a number of people made unsubstatianted assumptions and maybe a few lessons have been learned.

The difference between this guy and those you mention is that no claims were made and nothing was directed specifically at ATS, surely with the exposure that ATS has received and the actions and comments from the majority this whole episode has been beneficial. What we should now do is learn from this and also from the individual concerned in terms of any involvement in any other images (ummo ?).

Deliberate disinformation, deceit and lies should lead to banning - not just because someone posted CGI's on YT and then watched the reaction.

[edit on 28-8-2007 by chunder]

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 11:19 PM
link   
The Haiti video was discussed on Countdown w/ Keith Olbermann on MSNBC tonight. Keith Olbermann and Derrick Pitts, an astronomer from the Franklin Institute, talked about the guy who made the video and how it's authenticity was hotly debated until it was revealed to be a hoax. I'm always intrigued when mainstream media covers UFOs/Aliens. While they dismissed the video as being a hoax, they were also open-minded about the possibility of intelligent life out there.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by chunder

Ok it seems to me that I'm one of the few that don't have patience for hoaxers and their free will of deceiving people. Is their right to send the UFO community into wild chases trying to debunk or accept their work while they laugh at US with their viral marketing, social experiment or any little thing that pleases them.

I think that my outrage comes from the lying and deception part of it, I just can not take it, so I guess I will try to open my mind to the fact that there is a place in this site even for people that try to deceive us, even if it is against the T&C of this very site. Is all about precedents, once you let one in, all are invited, right?

Edit to add:

Can we get a response from the mods or Springer on this issue? What's their take on having hoaxers explaining their work on this forum.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Bunch,

I agree with you entirely regarding hoaxers but no claim was made with these images. What lying and deception do you refer to ?

Does someone have a right to post something on YT without making any commentary - well, they are free to do so. The fact someone can do that and it throws the UFO community into a tizzy is a worrying thing.

If claims were made with the video, if supporting evidence were forwarded or if the authors comments on this forum were different I would wholeheartedly agree with you.

The big problem is why did anyone take this seriously in the first place, even before it was debunked as CGI. Even had it not been shown quickly to have been CGI there were still no reasons to believe it real and many to believe it fake.

It's sad that this has reached mainstream but it is the viewers that should be blamed not the author. At the very most it should have been seen as 20 seconds of entertainment.

There will be better and better CGI video until one day it will not be able to be distinguished from the real thing or debunked in the sense that artifacts are noted. When that happens whether someone believes if something is real or not will depend on the factors it always should have, rather than does it look good.

And in that respect this video has taken many a step closer to that point and I reckon don't shoot the messenger, on this occasion.

[edit on 29-8-2007 by chunder]

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Amon Goeth

What's the problem with you? I have seen that you added me to you foe list just after i published the whois data, and added pjslug after he said "Hoaxers deserve no respect unless they declare hoax to begin with." Of course i've done the same with you.

Could you be so kind to explane it? Maybe you should read all the 93 pages of this thread, not just the last one, so you can make a longer list, if you like to do so instead of confuting the others' ideas with your ones. What do you disagree with? This is a discussion board: you can write it freely here, ther's no reason to hide your ideas.

[edit on 29/8/2007 by internos]

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Can we get a response from the mods or Springer on this issue? What's their take on having hoaxers explaining their work on this forum.

I haven't made up my mind yet about this one. I have been out of town at the Bay Area UFO Expo and haven't caught up on this thread yet and won't have time to until later tonight.

I certainly see both sides of the issue, Chunder's and yours. Let me catch up on the last 10 or so pages, think about it, discuss it with the senior staff and I'll post our thoughts here for a civil discussion on the matter.

Fair enough?

Springer...

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 11:58 AM
link   

I agree totally, it would be giving a green light to any of the CG guys here or elsewhere to make any fake they like and post it online anywhere as long as the dont claim its real on ATS. The only reaosn Vue hasn't been used up till now to make more fakes is simply put it takes too long to render out at that sort of quality. But with PC's getting ever more powerful things that would take just too damn long for most 3d guys suddenly seem a whole lot more attractive.

The simple fact that he helped support his own hoax with posts here on ATS proves to me that he was purposefully hoaxing. Saying that someone isn't hoaxer if they dont either post on ATS or add extravigant claims is hogwash the way I see it.

Also while it 'could' be argued that he didn't want to claim this as real (although to me the evidence points to the opposite), bare in mind he also didn't claim it was CG either. By letting the viewer make up his or her own mind he knew damn well people would take this as a claim of authenticty.

While this was a good quality fake, I have seen much better CGI in the course of my work. Although thankfully none have had the inclination as yet to do fake footage. The more attractive you make it to fake footage to become seen as 'the dude', the more people will start to consider doing it.

You either reward the hoaxer or you condem him, there is no middle ground.

Wayne...

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer

I have been out of town at the Bay Area UFO Expo and haven't caught up on this thread yet and won't have time to until later tonight.

I certainly see both sides of the issue, Chunder's and yours. Let me catch up on the last 10 or so pages, think about it, discuss it with the senior staff and I'll post our thoughts here for a civil discussion on the matter.

Fair enough? Springer...

Uh oh. Some of us are really gonna get it when Dad comes home from work tonight. Mom told him everything and me thinks he's gonna use the belt.

Honestly, that is refreshing news and it will be nice to hear what the rules of engagement will be going forward. I suppose that explains the recent silence from the admins on this thread. Wow. I have been holding my breath hoping for some final resolution. Thanks for the "heads up". < exhales > Looking forward to some "Clarity amidst the chaos".

regards....kk

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Thanks Springer

I knew that you were on your trip to Cali so I was not expecting a quick response on the matter. Glad to know you guys are working on it.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Obviously this video was created by people with power and wealth. The video looks so real but is revealed as a hoax was created in order to discredit a major sighting coming soon.

[edit on 29-8-2007 by CanadianVandal]

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianVandal
Obviously this video was created by people with power and wealth. The video looks so real but is revealed as a hoax was created in order to discredit a major sighting coming soon.

This is the best understanding of this crock.

There certainly are real UFO's out there. How do you know what to believe?

Don't look in here for your answers. Sory admin. but the quality of what is being submitted here will not lead to understanding. It only creates a diversion. People have been laughed at for saying they saw a UFO. Now, people are starting to see through that scheme for denial.

What is needed is another big push to make UFO sightings a social blooper.

I saw one in 1968 with 2 other eye witneses. That is how you do it. Get out and see for your self. How do you see them? I have information that IR or night vision equipment will allow them to be seen, even in daylight.

The main problem is that we are too busy running around. Like when that Baloon burned and fell from the sky. The guy taking the video was upset with people for not even seeing what was going on in the skies. No one even payed attention. They were too busy going here and there.

Take an hour and sit looking to the skies in the evening. It is relaxing and can be quite entertaining at times. I live in a rural setting, so that is easy for me to do, I guess.

I have seen a few things that make me scratch my head. There has been no time to properly document the events other than an eye witness account. That is how fast a sighting will happen. People who can film and photograph these things properly, are few and far between.

Instead of looking here, you should be out looking to the heavens. You will have a better chance of seeing the real deal.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by chunder

I agree with you entirely regarding hoaxers but no claim was made with these images. What lying and deception do you refer to ?

[edit on 29-8-2007 by chunder]

Posting a videos of what is clearly un-earthly technology (atleast to us common folk), and labelling them "UFO Haiti/ UFO Dominican Republic" is what ... if not deception? Kindly elucidate on that matter.

Sure, the poster could come forth and say "oh, I never claimed it was real, I didnt say believe it, your beliefs are your own ..." but it does not take anything away from the OBVIOUS fact that this person deceived millions of people. I am also guessing he disclosed it as a CGI creation only because others had already reached that conclusion!!!

And, again, in my book all the respect and admiration (mine atleast) goes to those who caught the lie, not to the one who created it. Deception is deception, no matter how clever or glamorous.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

After some serious review and thought about what ATS is all about we have decided that "ummofriend" must be banned and that's that.

Springer...

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Thanks for the quick response Springer.

No victory to be claim, and no happiness about the decision you will see from me since all this has been a big waste of time to all of us. I just think is fair for everyone involved.

[edit on 29-8-2007 by Bunch]

new topics

top topics

<< 90  91  92    94  95  96 >>

join