It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government Restricting Names

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Has anyone seen this yet?

news.aol.com...

What are your thoughts?

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 09:13 PM
link   
No the government shouldn't restrict names, unless it is already trademarked. But those parents are idiots and I feel sorry for that child. That is as bad as apple and moon unit.
I am not even sure that is for real.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 09:23 PM
link   
yes i agree, governments should'nt have the ability to oversee the naming of a child. i think they are just over using their power as usual.

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Let them name their child whatever they want. I'm tired of the same ole biblical names anyway. African Americans are the most creative when it comes to naming children. I think it's great. Anyone here of "Beyonce"?
I think Godruigez is pretty nice too.

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Name you kid whatever you want, thats what my parents did in the 60's. Superman is a great name for a son anyhow.

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

Pun intended?

Agreed, imagine what the poor guy is gonna go through in school. I can almost handle Superman, but 4real is just asking for trouble.

CX

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Here is an extract from the UK deed poll page on naming restrictions.

Name restrictions
We will not accept an order for a Deed Poll for a name that:

is impossible to pronounce,

includes numbers or symbols,

includes punctuation marks - although you can have a hyphen to link forenames or surnames (for example, if you want a double-barrelled surname) and an apostrophe in the case of surnames like O'Brien.

we consider vulgar, offensive, blasphemous or unsuitable,

may result in others believing you have a conferred or inherited honour, title or rank, for example, a change of first name to Sir, Lord, Laird, Lady, Prince, Princess, Baron, Baroness, Count, Countess, General, Colonel etc.,

does not include at least one forename and one surname.

UK deed poll naming restrictions

Well that highlights a couple of questions for me.

1. The part that says you can't have a name like "Princess", as the british model Katie Price has just named thier kid "Princess Tiaamii". Not sure if this applys to "name change" only though or whether it means you can't start off life with a royal title?

2. "Anything we consider vulgar, offensive, blasphemous or unsuitable".

This could mean anything. Who deems a name to be unsuitable? Is it personal opinion of the person at the deed poll office or is there a list of unsuitable names?

Interesting subject though, i can see what some words should be restricted like profanities, but if they mean no harm, like a number, whats the harm?

Unless it messes up the NWO database filing system.

Personaly i think Pheobe from Friends had the right idea....

Princess Consuela Banana Hammock

CX.

[edit on 10/8/07 by CX]

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rev_Godslapper

Originally posted by nixie_nox

Pun intended?

Agreed, imagine what the poor guy is gonna go through in school. I can almost handle Superman, but 4real is just asking for trouble.

I am glad someone caught that.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I can see where a lot of people are coming from when they say that the government should have no oversight in naming children because they feel government is being unduly intrusive, but governments do have the right and obligation to protect children from abuse, and having a stupid name can be abusive. Children with stupid names are more likely to get picked on at school. They will also have more difficulty in life getting others to accept them and take them seriously in their professional life.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   
exactly, does anyone really think someone with a name like "Female" (spoken as Fuh maleee), "4real", "PilotInspecktor",etc is going to be able to get a job. Not even McDonald's would hire someone with a name that silly.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 11:50 AM
link   
It is not for the government to decide in acceptable forms of names. It is a primal right for parents to name their children what they please. If my parents wanted to call me (explicitive deleted infifnity).....the third it should be their right.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 12:10 PM
link   
This story has been blown all out of proportion.

All the government told them was the name could not contain a number. There's an easy solution to that. Instead of 4real, name him Fourreal, Forreal, Foreal, or any other combination of the name.

Problem solved.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint
Children with stupid names are more likely to get picked on at school. They will also have more difficulty in life getting others to accept them and take them seriously in their professional life.

Good point!

I'm still trying to find an online-source relating to an academic study along these lines that I read a couple of years ago...

What was discovered was that those who were given strange/comical names as children were far more likely to suffer from bullying and alienation and most prone to be runaways in their teens. Names that I can remeber that had been collated between runaways and strange-names included...Thor, Arm, Jesus, Satan

top topics

join