It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Administration Opposes Education Bill for Returning Vets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Administration Opposes Education Bill for Returning Vets

www.truthout.org

The Bush administration opposes a Democratic effort to restore full educational benefits for returning veterans, according to an official's comments last week.

Senate Democrats, led by Virginia's Jim Webb, want the government to pay every penny of veterans' educational costs, from tuition at a public university to books, housing and a monthly stipend.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
blogs.abcnews.com

Mod Edit: Removed excessive copy/paste over the 500 character limit.

[edit on 9-8-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 08:27 PM
link   
As a veteran I just don't know what to say about this that can be printed here. For a President, and an administration, and a party that makes such a big bloody deal about their so called patriotism, and how they and only they truly support our troops... this just shows their true colors.

I have heard time and again that the military fares better under the Republicans and that is true in a way... but veterans always seem to fare better under the Democrats... and the two are not the same thing. We offer to give up our lives for our country only to have a half baked political shrill use us for political gain yet grudges us the promises this country makes us to enlist.

I went in 33 years ago and I never saw half the benefits promised us... and so it goes.

www.truthout.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Between the PTSD and other problems the governement should at least pay for veteran's educations. Too many veterans are unable to get jobs and become homeless or turn to crime after service. This would help stop that situation. Its a sad state of affairs when the people who sacrificed their freedoms and often lives, sanity, and health for their country isn't supported by that country.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Yet another slap in the face of the vets by this administration that allegedly "supports our troops". I was in a financial aid office at the University of Alabama at Huntsville, a college in a major military town, just the other day. They had a large collection of magazines there whose only topic was civilian jobs for veterans, the spotlighted jobs were with lumber companies and railroads, OK jobs to be sure but I still think we're really shortchanging ourselves of tremendous economic growth, especially considering the post-WWII boom was fueled by veterans getting good education and good jobs.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Yet more proof that the notion that you have to support the Iraq war to support the troops is a lie. This is really just the icing on the cake after the Walter Reed scandal. Now we just need some veterans who are disabled or struck in a min wage job to blow out the candles on the cake.

Where are all the kook's who supported such a lie now ?

[edit on 9-8-2007 by xpert11]

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 06:08 AM
link   
There have been so many things like this ranging from the bush administration instructing counselors that it troops being discharged don't know their rights and benefits, not to inform them to charging wounded soldiers for their meals to the mess at Walter Reed. Yet these are the same people who are damned and determined to create more disabled vets.

I am up at the local VA hospital on a regular basis and I have to say they do a fine job, my only complaint is because of underfunding it takes forever to get anything done. Unfortunately since I am on social security disability and have a 30% VA disability, it is my only access to medical care.

The 8th of July I was in Chicago when my appendix ruptured and I was rushed to the William Hines VA hospital and I was treated very well indeed.

It is not the people who tend to our ailing veterans who aren't doing their job, its congress and especially a president who seems to think that the military and veterans are a photo op prop for him to use at will and then to ignore at will.... until he sends them off to bleed and die.

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Its Newspeak.

By saying support the troops, the real meaning is support Bush, the Decider.

AS far as individual troops really go, they could care less who lives and who dies and when and IF they return, they'll have to fend for themselves and go to one of those stinking VA hospitals for whatever ails them. As far as education? They dont care about those things. "He" doesnt care.

Makes one want to rush to the nearest recruiting office, doesnt it?

Hipocrites.

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
.........one of those stinking VA hospitals.....

dgtempe... at one point that would have been true unfortunately, and there are always exceptions but by and large the VA hospital system is now considered as the finest in the country. This is true and a large part of it is the fact that they have computerized all records for the veterans so the doctors at William Hines in Chicago for example were able to access my medical records from the VA hospital in Salem Va. and treat me accordingly.

Also during the 90's when Clinton, if you believe the right wing noise makers was gutting the military, the VA spent billions upgrading until for the most part they are state of the art, and what they don't have they contract out so it is rare that a vet, once they are in the system, has the same treatments available to them as most civilians.

Again my only complaint is the length of time (outside of emergencies) it takes to get anything done.

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
By saying support the troops, the real meaning is support Bush, the Decider.

I have to agree with you there the follow the emperor at all costs mentality is very dangerous .

AS far as individual troops really go, they could care less who lives and who dies and when and IF they return, they'll have to fend for themselves and go to one of those stinking VA hospitals for whatever ails them.

Unless it involves increasing the profits of a minority knowing as corporate interests by screwing everyone else then nobody in the current admin, the Republican party or American politicians in general seems to care.

As far as education? They dont care about those things. "He" doesnt care.

Of course the Bush admin would oppose such things. An educated society is more inclined to think for itself and is harder to brainwash.

[edit on 10-8-2007 by xpert11]

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 09:12 AM
link   
The media, more than bush minor makes sure we are not educated about the issues... why bother with the serious stuff when there is Paris Hilton and Britney Spears making public spectacles of themselves to use as distractions.

There was an excellent speech by Bill Moyers last night on C-Span on this very subject to I think the national press club but I am not sure I will try and find a link to it, it is well worth reading or listening to.

[edit on 10-8-2007 by grover]

top topics

join