It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amnesia Shot?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 06:44 PM
link   
So I was over at my neighbors house today, and he was telling me about this surgery he is getting on Friday. He's getting a camera shoved down his throat to see whats going on in his gut. He said he wanted to go under, because he didn't wan't to have to be awake through the thing, and he said the nurse said don't worry, they have a shot that will take care of that. He asked, "well is it going to knock me out?" They said, "well, no, it'll make you forget what happened." He started the conversation out asking me if I have ever seen Men In Black, where they zap you with that light. So now they have a shot that does this? This is going to happen through a VA clinic. They didn't tell him what was in the shot, so I said I would research it.

My concern is what if they go back too far? Since this is through VA, is he a guinea pig? Has anyone heard of such a thing?

[edit on 9-8-2007 by Quasar]

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 06:46 PM
link   
It's standard procedure to give anyone having surgery a shot of Versed. It blocks your short term memory, because even under surgery if someone tells you things you will remember it. It doesn't matter if it's VA or not. I recently had knee surgery and they gave me that before I even got the anesthesia.

They did an experiment where they talked to people that were unconscious having surgery, and later after they woke up they remembered everything they told them.

[edit on 8/9/2007 by Zaphod58]

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 06:49 PM
link   
wow no i personaly haven't heard anything like the way that you described it. but anesthesia(sp?) think is just a temporary not pay attention right now type of thing. but i really dont have a clue. now a days i would definately want a list of the exact contents in the shot or whatever.

[edit on 8/9/2007 by agent violet]

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Midazolam hydrochloride is a synthetic compound manufactured by Hoffman-LaRoche, Inc. and is commonly known by its brand name, Versed. It is used for conscious sedation before surgery to relieve anxiety and/or impair memory.
Versed is in a class of chemicals called benzodiazepines which are all sedatives, hypnotics and/or muscle relaxants. Other benzodiazepines are Xanax (alprazolam), Klonopin (clonazepam), Valium (diazepam), and Halcion (trazolam).

web1.caryacademy.org...

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I had the shot when the wisdom teeth were removed. I only remember bits and peices of that day....kind of scary if you think about it. Glad I had a ride home, who knows where I'd of ended up.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Versed is a magical animal.

While you're on it, you can speak and will respond to commands (ANY commands, pretty much). You have access to long term memory, but you don't remember a lot past about 15 minutes while on it.

So, you can give someone a nice arm full of Versed, and maybe another drug or two in the mix to make them happy on top of it, I've heard about people getting the Versed-scop-amphetamine cocktail and they are happy as clams, wide awake and eager to please. The neat thing about the short window is, they can't remember the crap they just told someone, so you can ask some questions, wait a few minutes, and ask again, and see if you get more than one answer. If you get the same one every time, it's probably true, or at least they think it is. If you get a new answer every time, it's bs and they're making it up. They just don't remember what they said 10 minutes ago.

A cool thing about Versed is that the recipient will "splice out" the missing time, that is, it's very difficult to spot exactly WHEN you got it. Your memory will attempt to edit your perception of what happened so that the time has no gaps, something that other amnesics don't do as well. So if you give someone a dose of it while they're in bed or relaxed, they won't remember you did it at all, necessarily. Let's say you were in your easy chair getting sleepy in the evening, about to go to bed. I let myself in your house, we toss you on the floor and give you a big shot of Versed mix. You will lose the last 20 minutes or so from your memory. I might rifle your house, then stick you back in the chair and leave. When you awaken, your memory will try to splice out the time gap, and you'll have this vague recollection of getting sleepy, then waking up. Obviously, you dozed off.

You can do other stuff with Versed, a lot of times they do medical procedures under Versed where you want to have the patient awake but not remember what happened later, like colonoscopies.

It's also good for doing surgery (VERsatile SEDative), you can give someone a drip of it and start whacking, although it's better if you've got some other anesthetic to balance it with such as nitrous. In the field, you can use versed and an opioid for surgery if you watch it.

Last but not least, you can reverse accidental overdoses of it with some Romazicon if you have to.

edit: tmi

[edit on 9-8-2007 by Tom Bedlam]

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Man, that is completely insane. Is this approved by the FDA? What happens if you come out of surgery, and don't recognize your wife?

Tom Bedlam is right, some crazy criminal can do the unthinkable, give a shot to the witness, and come out clean? If this gets in the wrong hands, it can get messy.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 08:19 PM
link   
It only affects SHORT term memory. It doesn't have anything to do with long term memory which is where memories of your wife, children, life would be. Personally I love the stuff. I'd rather go under and not remember a thing than have bad dreams of half remembered things that happened while I was under the knife.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Versed is great...

Especially when cocktailed with Diprivan.

It's more than a little amusing to see the layman wring their hands over what a drug does... I'd hate to see what they'd think about a truly powerful drug that wouldn't be FDA approved today.

[edit on 9/8/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Interesting, to say the least. I am a firm believer of natural medicines, I mean hey, they have been tested over generations. And they are never "approved" by the FDA. If the FDA can't make any money off of it, then I don't think it can be approved. If we can grow our own medicine, it will mean bankruptcy to the FDA. My grandmother pays out hundreds of dollars a month on medications that cure the side effects of other medications. Thats a conspiracy.

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me
Versed is great...

We called that Milk of Amnesia.

Versed and Fentanyl is pretty good too, you may not be unconscious, but you don't really feel it and don't care anyway, and won't remember later if you did.

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 02:58 PM
link   
???

Originally posted by Quasar
If the FDA can't make any money off of it, then I don't think it can be approved. If we can grow our own medicine, it will mean bankruptcy to the FDA.

Could you please demonstrate the mechanism that the FDA would use to "make money off" something?

While your at it, perhaps you could detail how the FDA could go "bankrupt."

[Vizzini has just cut the rope The Dread Pirate Roberts is climbing up]
Vizzini: HE DIDN'T FALL? INCONCEIVABLE.
Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

www.imdb.com...

Princess Monkeys, not just for being the bride anymore...

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Versed is great...

Nothing like a double dose of Vitamine V and P to help with procedures. Aside from some hypotension related issues at higher doses Propofol has the added benifit of an ultra short half life so its effects go away really quickly once you stop giving it. For procedures like an MRI its a godsend in the pediatric population

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Could you please demonstrate the mechanism that the FDA would use to "make money off" something?

While your at it, perhaps you could detail how the FDA could go "bankrupt."

Alright, I accept that challenge. But since it is Friday night... Give me a couple days.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Many people have had bad experiences with Versed. The fact that people generally do not recall what happened while they were under its influence concerns me for reasons that should be obvious.

Check out these sites to read some of the complaints:

www.askapatient.com...
viewrating.asp?drug=18654&name=VERSED

www.colonoscopywarning.com...
colonoscopy/beware-the-colonoscopy/

www.askapatient.com...
viewrating.asp?drug=18654&name=VERSED

ideas.4brad.com...
000100.html

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Quasar

Whatever you do DO NOT EVER let anyone give you the poison that they call Versed!!!!! I had that drug in 1991 for an endoscopy (the same procedure that you're having,) and it left me with Post Trumatic Stress Disorder. My life hasn't been the same since. Please look up on the internet Horror Stories about Versed, and Versedbuster's blogspot. You can also go to www.askapatient.com and see how awful that drug is from other patients. I bought everyone of my family members and good friends medic alert bracelets stating that they are allergic to Versed because EMT's use this crap on patients too....whomever approved this drug for use on people should be shot....I've written to every newspaper, TV show, and TV station about this nighmare.....I hope someday someone will take all of us poor "versed victims" seriously and yank that drug off the market!!!

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Short Term Memory? I got this evil poison w/o my knowledge or permission for an endoscopy back in 1991.....I didn't know who my children were for almost a week after I came out of it....and lost over 20 YEARS of precious memories....it's been 18 years since I've had this never ending nightmare....It gave me post trumatic stress disorder and the worst anxiety attacks and depression known to man. This is an EVIL POISON and should NEVER been approved for use on people!!!! Warn everyone you know to refuse this mind altering creepy poison!!!

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
How a drug which is used to induce a blackout episode can be treated as harmless is beyond me. I have to wonder how the medical community would feel about having airline staff dope them with versed on their next flight in the interest of safety - it makes as much sense there.

new topics

top topics

join