It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

History repeats itself: a rambling look at the current social and governmental situation.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 06:04 PM
link   
France. Britain. Russia. Three of the oldest, and once most powerful, countries remaining on the face of the planet. At one time each of these countries could have sent their troops around the world without meeting any opposition aside from the other two. Britain, at its peak, held almost all of the known world in is grasp.

What do these countries have in common? Each learned, several times throughout its history, the dangers of an absolute government. The dangers of playing god with the world. The dangers of taking away your citizens rights and freedoms and driving them into the ground. Of course, each one also learned intimately the pain which those same citizens could inflict when gathered into an angry mob.

Sound familiar? There exist in the world now several nations that are beginning to see the pangs that proceed such lessons. Of course, because we are so much more “civilized” than we were in the time of nationalism, because the absolute poverty that was known back then is almost “unheard of” in first world countries, the governments have a bit more leniency in how they wish to be corrupt.

The point that my befuddled mind is trying to propose is this: History repeats itself. Despite our advanced civilization, we are still human. Thus, a country that is only a few hundred years old at most will necessarily undergo the same turmoil and “pangs of growth” that Britian, France, and Russia felt oh so long ago.

I propose that we are, right now, seeing the effects of this in America. We are watching a government become corrupt and overburdened with itself, even as it seeks to subliminally repress and lie to its citizens, to make of them docile sheep. The American government feels secure in its position, just as the rulers of Britain France and Russia felt secure and impenetrable in theirs. Revolution? Impossible! In the minds of our leaders, a few disgruntled citizens who can see and realize the truth do not matter, they will fade away in time, and their voice will always be lost in the multitude.

However, the government is forgetting the essential rule of any civilization: Unrest spreads. A voice that is on one street corner yesterday will be on 3 today. Why? Because if the argument is based in truth, and that truth can be presented in such a way that even the mentally disabled are able to see through the clouds, then it will spread exponentially as more and more people pass it on to those around them. The internet is the perfect tool for this. A leaflet is limited in the amount of information it can contain. A program on the radio or the television on such a subject would be nearly impossible to have aired. Through the internet, however, a nearly unlimited amount of facts can be gathered and presented to the entirety of a countries population, leaving the government with its only weapon being its strength in the area of disinformation.

We have seen this effect with the 9/11 scenario. What was a few people thinking about it and pondering the holes in the event has transformed into a blinding revelation that is attracting the attentions of more and more people every day. What has happened in response? The same thing that always happens. In france, when the revolution began the king mobilized the army and ordered them to fire into the streets. In Russia, the same. In America, we are seeing the beginnings of a police state meant to slowly and completely disarm and defuse the populace as a whole. We see the freedoms of the American citizens being removed. The answer why is obvious: the method of pacification by disinformation is starting to fail, too many people have become aware of the faults in the administration, and the “cultured apathy” meant to keep them in line is being effectively countered by the speed with which information can be transmitted online.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Thus, America, and soon Canada, will likely fall prey to their first bout of what could be called “Action Accountability” in the very near future. We will see some very nasty things come down the pike, meant to try and stave off the inevitable downfall of the administration, the first shadows of which we can already see in the laws being proposed of late. Whether or not this confrontation will turn bloody, or merely be a war waged in the back offices and the great series of tubes, remains to be seen.

On the flip side, it can be readily seen that china may indeed have averted this situation once and for all. Instead of the communist regime dissolving under this “action accountability” law as so many new governments in older civilizations often do, we have seen china institute a rigorous systematic regulation of every aspect of its citizens lives. By restricting access to vital information over the internet, keeping the majority of its population below the poverty line, and generally creating an atmosphere of docile servility in its citizens, it is rapidly growing as a stable and advancing society. Protests, however slight, are met with quick and brutally efficient armed response, and after a few such events rarely occur.

However, this situation itself presents an entirely new problem: When such a government remains in power for too long, repressed anxiety and discontent in the populace does not simmer and evaporate over time as it does in western society, (a reason why we are not facing armed rebellion here yet, our rage at the government vents, and thus does not build enough steam to do anything until we develop critical mass), it instead is kept under pressure, growing slowly larger and larger until eventually when it does burst forth, it does so in a very volatile and dangerous way. Countries have been toppled by this form of “action accountability” in the past, and unless China finds a vent for this subliminal repressed dislike for its government by its people soon, it may well face that result within the next century.

Well, I have rambled on long enough. I hope that there are some interesting points to be gleaned from this little essay. I like the term “action accountability”, I find it describes the theory of why governments have faced rebellion so very often in the past quite nicely, an inevitable result of mismanagement and corruption in high places. The logic that America is facing the same end as France, Britain, and Russia have in the past, too, I find to be quit convincing. It is a young country, and has yet to encounter its first learning experience in the ways of corruption, its leaders have, It appears, not yet learned from the lesson of so many other absolute governments” that you cannot mistreat and manipulate your population for too long before they rise up and make you accountable. Hopefully the coming storm will not be as violent as those in France or Russia were…

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 06:18 PM
link   
What a really great post.

You did present alot of information in thoughtful empowering way.

If we still had Way Above I would vote you up.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 07:01 PM
link   
*bows* This is what i get for writing down my thoughts when i have a pounding migraine

Thanks for the kind words, just a question, is it hard to believe that someone merely 17 wrote that?

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Well thought out and lucid argument for 2 out of 3 countries listed.

Russia was part of a great power in recent times. During the Czarists years, it was feudalism at best and could hardly keep itself together. Now, if you are talking about Russia in modern, communism era, it would have been the USSR of which Russia was part of. The breakup of the USSR into other states does prove this point.

However, Russia, while down currently, is hardly out. It could easily defeat 188 or 189 countries in the world without a doubt. They would tie for loser with the USA and China as there would be no winners in those wars.

Great info and understanding of government action or non-action in falling from grace. America and it's democratic experiment in government is coming to conclusion. I think my kids and grandkids will see a different world than what I have experienced.

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by D.E.M.
*bows* This is what i get for writing down my thoughts when i have a pounding migraine

Thanks for the kind words, just a question, is it hard to believe that someone merely 17 wrote that?

Really? Only 17 and able to express your thoughts so clearly? Good job, I thought of you as an old man!~

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Why thank you. I get that alot, actually. Sometimes useful, most times just rather..strange...

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Risking the ire of the Mods for Necro-resurrecting a thread, (it seemed a better idea than simply re-posting the essay) I would like to raise this back to the top to see if people still find the opinions contained inside to be relevant, two years later on.

Is the situation outlined more likely than ever before? Or have things changed enough that "Action Accountability" is less likely to stem from the people? Your opinions, please.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by D.E.M.

With global warming and Chinese indifference,we are headed for a time of
World collapse that the Bible foretold as if a Super-Race from the past knew
when you combine this with that you always get these results.(from seeing it happen
on other planets before who have been down this same nuclear phase of development.)

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by MAJIC 12

I imagine many an intelligent species has fallen via a self-inflicted wound. Some of them probably from good intentions. (Maybe a cure?)

We could easily be the next I guess. Good topic-

To the OP: Now go outside & party with your friends like a normal 17 yr old!

2PacSade-

[edit on 13-9-2009 by 2PacSade]

new topics

top topics

join