It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian PM vows to defend Arctic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Canadian PM vows to defend Arctic

www.cnn.com

Canada's prime minister has begun a three-day trip to the Arctic in an effort to assert sovereignty over the region a week after Russia symbolically staked a claim to the North Pole by sending submarines.
Although Stephen Harper's visit has been planned for months, it has taken on new importance since the Russian subs dived 2½ miles to the Arctic shelf and planted their country's flag in a titanium capsule.
"The Russians sent a submarine to drop a small flag at the bottom of the ocean. We're sending our prime minister to reassert Canadian sovereignty," a senior government official told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because his language was undiplomatic.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Wow! Canada is actually speaking up! It's about time. Canadians do it right!

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 05:25 PM
link   
with what? second hand ships and death traps of subs

(for the above statement i am refering to the subs and ect that the candians bought that fudged up)

Canada Vs Russia who will win?

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul

Pfft. That was decided 35 years ago. One picture says it all:

www.1972summitseries.com...

This is BS BTW. Harper planned this months ago? Yeah, right. This is just posturing. He isn't even close to the North Pole. He's in Yellowknife. Many, many miles from the Pole.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
with what? second hand ships and death traps of subs

(for the above statement i am refering to the subs and ect that the candians bought that fudged up)

You talking about those diesel/electric subs that Canada bought from the UK? What was it...Upholder class.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Lets hope this doesn't turn out ugly. I live in Canada... I honestly thought this was dealt with a long time ago, I guess not.

What would happen if Russia does offensively attack Canada?

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Pfft. That was decided 35 years ago. One picture says it all:

www.1972summitseries.com...

we could always have a new game

sorry couldnt resist

didnt know delta
so in a conventional war who would win Canada or russia one on one

JbT

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I belive that I just heard on the radio a couple days ago that either the Coast Gaurd or the Navy is getting I belive 10 new frigates to patrol our Candian North.

Ill try to find a link.

Apon looking, its 3 Icebreakers along with a replacement and upgrade of many different vehicles.

www.cbc.ca...

New trucks, helicopters, planes

The government is expected to unveil a $1.1-billion plan for new army trucks. That promise will be made in Quebec, the CBC's French-language service reported last week.

That same report said an official announcement about helicopters will come on Wednesday in Edmonton. The government is expected put out to tender for 15 new helicopters at a cost of about $4.2 billion.

Finally, on Thursday at CFB Trenton in Ontario, the government is expected to announce a competition worth $4.6 billion to replace Canada's aging fleet of Hercules aircraft, some of which date back to the 1960s.

The Conservatives are also promising to buy at least four C-17 transport planes, which are massive heavy-lift aircraft, at a cost of $3 billion.

The first ship is expected to be ready by 2012.

More quotes from the Canadian Defence Minister:
www.cbc.ca...

"My idea was icebreakers, heavy icebreakers, and they may ultimately be what we acquire, but the navy staff is also looking at other possibilities," O'Connor said.

"What I want is, I want the navy in the North. I want the navy to operate in the North and, whatever the most effective way, I'm willing to go with it."

O'Connor says small vessels and amphibious vehicles are also being considered.

[edit on 9-8-2007 by JbT]

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfmask
Lets hope this doesn't turn out ugly. I live in Canada... I honestly thought this was dealt with a long time ago, I guess not.

Why the first thing Canada would have to do is come begging to the U.S. for protection saying, "We never really meant all those nasty things we've said about you and your military in the past." See, Canada loves the military umbrella protecting it, but foolishly likes to bite the hand holding the umbrella.

The next thing (or shouldn't it be the first thing?) Canada would have to do is take some money out of all those monstrously expensive social programs to fund a reconstruction of Canada's military in order to start carrying Canada's fair share of the North American defense load.

[edit on 8/9/2007 by centurion1211]

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Why the first thing Canada would have to do is come begging to the U.S. for protection saying, "We never really meant all those nasty things we've said about you and your military in the past." See, Canada loves the military umbrella protecting it, but foolishly likes to bite the hand holding the umbrella.

I must say that that was one of the most ignorant posts I have read here for quite some time. If I were one to give advice I would recommend looking at some media that didn't originate in the US.

BOOYA, USA, USA.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfmask

As far as I am concerned, an attack on Canada is an Attack on us (America) as well. Sure we have had our differences, but we cannot allow Russia to instigate our brothers into a war. What next, will they try to annex Alaska as well?

[edit on 9-8-2007 by BugZyZuncle]

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Earlier news discussion on this topic here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please contribute to the earlier discussion.

Thread closed.

top topics

join