It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How much does religion control you?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 02:59 PM
link   
As I look reflect upon western religion in it's many forms through history two major hallmarks seem common in all of them.

1. They are bound up with the continuation of a particular life or culture.

Their laws are typically geared toward self-preservation of the tribe from both worldly and other-worldly concerns, whether real or imagined. For this reason, they are revered and embraced.

2. When tribes come together, these religions often become the control mechanism that political leaders use to inspire the masses to a cause.

It appears that they are a double edged sword for societies, but nonetheless are vehicles of culture.

But does there come a time in our history where humankind can rise above the need for religion? Perhaps in a time such as ours?

If it were not for the fact that religion is still used as a method through which to leverage the masses in both theocracies and democracies, I think it would be the right time to rise above into a more global cultural identity.

As long as religion is held in the hands of leaders, and handed down from Imam to Imam, and Rabbi to Rabbi, and Priest to Priest, then these control structures will continue.

Religion will surely continue in it's current form. However, the only desires worth pursuing are those of your own. Anytime an edict or doctrine is handed down through a power structure, it is only a form of mental control.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quazga
1. They are bound up with the continuation of a particular life or culture.

Very true. Just look at the bible, for example. The entire thing seems to be all about how God wants to protect Israel, and Israelites are God's chosen people.

2. When tribes come together, these religions often become the control mechanism that political leaders use to inspire the masses to a cause.

Another good point. Humanity is "guided" through existence by Government, Media, and Religion. They aren't always equal, of course, considering Media could hardly be utilized during the Dark Ages. Interestingly, this is when religion had a very strong grip over the whole of Europe.

But does there come a time in our history where humankind can rise above the need for religion? Perhaps in a time such as ours?

I wish. Unfortunately, we're still very much saturated by religion, and very much guided by the religious ideals that originated thousands of years ago. Ever notice that things like Abortion and Gay Marriage become very very hot topics around election time? Politicians appeal to the religious views of voters. It's a sad state of affairs when you can't get people to form a legitimate thought on Education, but they'll run you over on their way to the voting booth if gays might get married.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 04:31 PM
link   
hmmm how much religion controls me...
well i believe
- i celebrate the yeasterday and christmass,get a tree for christmass(last year i didnt decorate the tree until 25 december and god really maked me suffer for this
i was so sick and when i maked the tree everything got allright^^)
and thats everything i guess
i just believe and celebreta the holidays like all people
i havent goed to church from a long time....its enough that i believe

new topics

join