It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colossal Four-Galaxy Collision Discovered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 01:38 PM
link   
news.nationalgeographic.com...

Four galaxies are crashing into each other in one of the largest collisions ever seen, scientists say.

The galactic crash was spotted by astronomers using NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope, which detected a fan-shaped plume coming from a cluster of galaxies nearly five billion light-years away.

Mod Edit: Fixed all caps title and spelling. Also a quick note that just posting news without any type of original thought or comments with it is frowned upon here at ATS.

Here's some freebie comments to help jumpstart you.

As I understand it, this type of thing happens all the time with smaller sized galaxies and it's usually a one-on-one thing. This event seems to be the first finding of multiple galaxies involved AND their size is much larger then normal.

I'm curious as to what happens and what would happen to our galaxy? Is everything destroyed? Do the galaxies blend? Is the galaxy on Orion's belt?

Sorry...MIB joke there.

Anyway, very interesting stuff. Star people tell us more...please.

[edit on 9-8-2007 by ZeddicusZulZorander]

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Spectacular. Simply spectacular -- and mind-boggling; a galaxy up to ten times the size of the milky way. I'd certainly like to see what form it will take: I wonder if it will be able to hold together, though.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I hate to spoil the fun, but this story is already being discussed here, so it's only fair to ask members to direct comments to the preceding thread.

Closing this one.

[edit on 9/8/07 by masqua]

new topics

join