It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New British mobile light weapons platform

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 12:58 PM
link   
The current fleet of Landrover Weapons Mount Installation Kit (WMIK) is being augmented by a new vehicke. the new platform, called the Mobility WMIK (or MWMIK).

Weapons are roughly the same as the standard land rover varient but it can mount an extra heavy weapon. It has a much increased load capacity (approx 4 tons), as well as a top speed of 80mph on rough ground. It will take a crew of four and also boasts 360 degree smoke launchers. It offers increased protection from mines and the extra height allows it to wade through over a metre of water as well as increasing the crews range of observation.

Note the 40mm GMG, .50 HMG and 7.62 GPMG mounted on the above vehicle. The WMIK could only mount one heavy weapon and the GPMG. Other weapons include twin GPMGs and Javelin top-attack AT missiles.

Basically, this looks like the dogs' danglies. It's fast, mounts decent firepower, carries a big load, can cross just about any type of country and, most importantly, looks effin scary.

Stand by Terry Taliban

[edit on 9-8-2007 by PaddyInf]

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Just what Britain needs. I was always wondering how long we would keep the standard Land Rover vehicles. I can't help but think how inferior they looked in accordance with the U.S gas guzzling Humvees.

It looks like it could be a major development for the UK.

[edit on 9-8-2007 by Knights]

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Don't get me wrong, the WMIKs are an old friend to me, having used them in Sierra Leonne, Iraq and Afghanistan. The main dramas with them are the cross country performance when compared to some of the tracked vehicles we're using and the lack of protection. This beast offers improvements in both these fields.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Looks like a fine vehicle, i'ts about time the British forces was given something with razor sharp pointy teeth! Cant see how it would protect against RPG's though, I mean the soldiers look pretty open especially from the sides? It does give the advantage of visibility I guess?

[edit on 9-8-2007 by freeradical]

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by freeradical
Cant see how it would protect against RPG's though

I suppose speed is of the essence here, then. Doing 80mph makes you pretty hard to hit with an RPG, which is unguided.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 10:48 PM
link   
yeah it looks like it would give next to no protection from small arms fire...

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tenebrous
yeah it looks like it would give next to no protection from small arms fire...

Well it's a weapons platform, it's not like your going to patrol a city in one of these things. This will be good in the ghan, it'll get you where you need to be quickly, and has the ability to hammer the opposition into the ground.

EDIT: Here is the news article link vvvv
www.dailymail.co.uk...

[edit on 10-8-2007 by SKUNK2]

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Cant see how it would protect against RPG's though, I mean the soldiers look pretty open especially from the sides? It does give the advantage of visibility I guess?

Believe it or not, soft-skinned vehicles are offer more effective protection from shaped-charge warheads than hard skinned vehicles such as Humvees. This is because canvas topped vehicles often don't give enough resistence to the fuse to allow it to detonate. RPGs etc are designed to punch a small hole in armour and push a metal and explosive mix inside. Without any outer skin, the weapon won't blow. Unless you are physically struck by the warhead itself, you are fairly safe.

While a hummer provides a degree of protection from small arms fire, it lacks the firepower, visibility and cross-country performance of this piece of kit. Real life scenarios have demonstrated that the protection provided by a standard humvee is not that great anyway, with several reports of AK47 rounds punching through doors, windows etc.

The vehicle above is designed to provide large quantities of highly mobile firepower. It certainly provides a greater amount of fire than just about any vehicle in its' class.

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by PaddyInf Basically, this looks like the dogs' danglies.

Um, I'd actually disagree with you Paddy. It looks more like the cat's whiskers to me.

That mean machine has got more claws than yer average Bengal Tiger and looks just as purrrdy!

Pass me a tin of Tiger Stripe Cam Paint.

Just read the newspaper article and judging from experience, if an officer says it's a 'good bit of kit', then usually it isn't. Not in this case though. This Tiger rocks!

[edit on 22-8-2007 by fritz]

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 06:19 AM
link   
What's the sound system like?

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I´d have to say, worryingly, when is it going to get cancelled?

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by vfrhawk I´d have to say, worryingly, when is it going to get cancelled?

'There you go again, giving me those negative waves!'

Of course, anything that looks that 'cool' will end up being withdrawn through lack of spares because the Toms will probably keep breaking them.

For Paddyinf..................Are they really that good a vehicle and more importantly, are they up to the job in Afghanistan?

Our CSM was at Bastion not so long ago where he was dumped in the deep end as the MTWO (amongst other things) and he says it was a nightmare trying to keep vehs on the road and up to spec for the job in hand.

Is it really that bad Paddy, or is this just another case of Toms whinging?

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Looks like a fine vehicle, i'ts about time the British forces was given something with razor sharp pointy teeth! Cant see how it would protect against RPG's though, I mean the soldiers look pretty open especially from the sides? It does give the advantage of visibility I guess?
[edit on 9-8-2007 by freeradical]

The idea is that the weapons and people are visible, which gives a no nonsense message about what is likely to happen should the vehicle come under fire

By not concealing the weapons, or hindering them, it also means that instant and rapid fire can be bought on a hostile target as quickly as possible.

This tactic was pioneered by the SAS using four man squads in stripped down Landrovers.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Oh god.
With how many new weapons every country is aquiring and how much upgrading is happening... it really is WWIII isnt it? Nothing offical has set it into the news yet..

new topics

top topics

join