It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia is trying to restart the Cold War.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Yes, that's a bold claim that i make, and there's always proof. They're being difficult to deal with, acting irrationally. And all this is recent.Some examples:

First is having ties with rogue states and groups:
Russia To Keep Contact With Hamas Officials
Helping Iran's nuclear ambitions,etc

Worsening ties with the UK:
Russia expels 4 UK diplomats
Russia expels top British Trade Official

Inciting Incidents(though mostly downplaying them...but theres always a deeper meaning behind it):
Russia Bomber Jets Resume Cold War Sorties
Georgia Accuses Russia of Firing Missile At Village

There's alot more...like disagreeing with Nato on limiting arms, claiming the North Pole for itself, claiming the proposed US missile shield as a threat to its security, and more.

Just 2 questions. Why are they doing this, especially now?And what's in it for them to be so difficult to deal with?Is it the 8 years of prosperity that they've had that caused their government to be so brash?They've been mostly amicable to deal with in the past, but for this year their relations with Europe have been getting more and more tense...What do ya'll think of the Russian situation?

(note:I'm neither a Russian hater nor a supporter. Just a bystander trying to connect the dots)

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 12:25 PM
link   
If ANYONE would restart the Cold War, it would be the US.

Maybe you should read some of the links you posted before posting.

2 of your links, about the expulsion of the 4 diplomats, are in direct correlation to Alexander Litvinenko. It goes on to say...

"The dispute marks a new low in relations between Moscow and London, which had already been troubled by Russia’s opposition to the war in Iraq,"

Russia opposed to the war in Iraq? Does this make them villains? Good for them, and for everyone that didnt join the ****storm that is the Coalition of the Willing.

HAMAS:

"Russia had already been out of step with other members of the Middle East peacekeeping Quartet since last year, when it invited senior Hamas officials to Moscow soon after they won a Palestinian parliamentary election.

Moscow said Hamas was democratically-elected and should not be ignored. Washington and the EU say they will have no dealings with the group unless it accepts Israel's right to exist, renounces violence and recognises existing peace deals."

And you are going to tell me Russia is a villain here too? Has been out of step with the peacekeeping quarter? Peacekeeping? Are you kidding me? Peacekeeping? Dear god help us all.

Next, Russia is claiming the N. Pole for itself? It is? For resources? I recall another nation by the name of USA that did that just recently....and look how that turned out, luckily there arent too many lives Russia can destroy up there.

I think the Russian situation is brilliant - all the power to a country not stepping in line with the USA. I think you are delusional about the threat Russia poses, and definitely blind yourself in believing the USA are somehow saints when you've compared what theyve done to what Russia is doing.

Disagreeing with Nato on limiting arms? Geez....Im not even gonna touch that one, too easy. Look in the mirror before judging Russia and its evil "Commie" ambitions.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I'm a bystander too... I'm excited at the prospect of a second cold war...hopefully not so cold like the last one. Then again, I don't think the cold war really ended, maybe it's only starting to heat up.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Russia, in my opinion is just trying to show that it's not a 'lightweight', I don't put a
great deal of belief into escalation of conflict.

As for Hamas, well they were Democratically elected, so you can't really call them rogue,
and they have actually done good in the Gaza strip by enforcing (the non-Islamic kind) law there.

Russia expelling UK diplomats really is'nt very surprising since the UK recently
expelled some Russian diplomats.

When it comes to the Russian planes, apparently that's nothing new, apparently
(from what the UK members have said) it's not rare for Russian planes to fly near UK airspace.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I don't think your claims are outlandish, I have been saying this since last November, when the Russian spy was poisoned with plutonium. Putin wants to stay in power no matter what, and an ams race might with the U.S. might greatly increase Russia's power because they know with the Iraq war and a trillion dollar+ deficet, the U.S. wouldn't be capable of producing many more A-bombs.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by XFoxMulderX
I don't think your claims are outlandish, I have been saying this since last November, when the Russian spy was poisoned with plutonium. Putin wants to stay in power no matter what, and an ams race might with the U.S. might greatly increase Russia's power because they know with the Iraq war and a trillion dollar+ deficet, the U.S. wouldn't be capable of producing many more A-bombs.

Honestly, some of you people amaze me. Putin wants to stay in power no matter what? How does that make him any different to Bush? Or any other leader? Next they'll convince everyone that the Red Scare is back, and we'll round up all the Commies and...oh doesnt matter, the patriot act already exists.

[edit on 9-8-2007 by 3_Libras]

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Also Today

news.bbc.co.uk...

Russia sparks Cold War scramble

The Tu-95 pilots exchanged smiles with their US counterparts
Russian bombers have flown to the US island of Guam in the Pacific in a surprise manoeuvre reminiscent of the Cold War era.
Two Tu-95 turboprops flew this week to Guam, home to a big US military base, Russian Maj Gen Pavel Androsov said.

They "exchanged smiles" with US pilots who scrambled to track them, he added.

The bombers have the capability of launching a nuclear strike with the missiles they carry.

Now if you ask me Russia sure is on the move as of late, i sure hope NATO and the USA are doing similar things like flying nuclear bombers towards Russia to show them we too can do same.

Maybe all this is about the Artic region and Russia is sending a message saying take them serious about that region maybe?

[edit on 9-8-2007 by blobby]

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 01:38 PM
link   
sorry looks like the post posted 3 times as the reply didnt refresh and i refreshed it 3 times, what ever happened to the option of deleting your own posts? use to be able too while back but now theres no option and i need to type this out.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   
sorry looks like the post posted 3 times as the reply didnt refresh and i refreshed it 3 times, what ever happened to the option of deleting your own posts? use to be able too while back but now theres no option and i need to type this out.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by cheesepie
First is having ties with rogue states and groups:
Russia To Keep Contact With Hamas Officials
Helping Iran's nuclear ambitions,etc

Rogue states by whose standards? These nations/groups may have some beef with the US, but how does that make them rogue states?

Maybe US should write up a list of all "good countries" and "bad countries", and then send it out to all governments around the world and tell them: "should you have any dealing with the "bad countries" we shall label you evil and put you on our watch list". Oh wait- US has done this already. It's too bad that even a superpower can go ignored when it makes outlandish claims and accusations.

Worsening ties with the UK:
Russia expels 4 UK diplomats
Russia expels top British Trade Official

Oh my - worsening ties with Great Britain - the world has to be coming to an end. Who cares about UK. It is not a superpower and it is not an empire. Russia never had good relations with the UK since the WWI, and frankly I don't think Russia gives a hoot about UK's accusations or political circus surrounding the Litvinenko. UK is just another European country, like Poland or Estonia, that has some issues with Russia, that create a prejudiced political environment.

I would love to see a Cold War between Russia and UK though. That would be a good laugh.

Inciting Incidents(though mostly downplaying them...but theres always a deeper meaning behind it):
Russia Bomber Jets Resume Cold War Sorties
Georgia Accuses Russia of Firing Missile At Village

Says who? The Georgian propaganda minister installed by the US-backed dictator? Read up the discussion about the events in the "Breaking News" section. It would be pretty hilarious if US starts a war with Russia over some tiny agrarian state run by thug. But not just any thug - a thug who has an oil pipeline running through his land - guaranteeing that US will be his good friend for a while - untill he is assassinated by his own people that it.

There's alot more...like disagreeing with Nato on limiting arms

Disagreeing with NATO - God Forbid. I mean everyone should know that NATO now makes the rules around the world right? Why NATO ought to punish Russia for misbehaving. NATO is just another worthless allience now, whose only capability is invading crumpling European states such as Yugoslavia, and waving their arms around Europe pretending to protect something against someone who is no longer there.

claiming the North Pole for itself

Well why not- since it's nobody's? US is just mad because they are late to the show.
. But no worries, you can drop off you troops there on the way from Iraq.

claiming the proposed US missile shield as a threat to its security, and more.

It is a threat to its security. No less of a threat in fact than Iraq or Iran are/were a threat to the US security.

Just 2 questions. Why are they doing this, especially now?

Why is US waging a War On Terror, that obviously has little to do with Terror or a guy with a turban hiding in a cave in Afganistan? Action = Reaction.

And what's in it for them to be so difficult to deal with?

It's stubborness in my opinion. The damn Ruskies were stubborn and didn't let Napolean invade them. Then the stubborn bastards didn't wish for Nazi Germany to invade them. And then they didn't even let NATO do what it pleased in Europe. When will these stubborn people learn to give in to demands of the Western masters? They ought to be taught a lesson of democracy - Iraq style.

Is it the 8 years of prosperity that they've had that caused their government to be so brash?

What prosperity would that be? 5 Oligarchs hoarding all of the nation's wealth and trying to sell it piece by piece to the highest bidder in West? Well that prosperity is over now, and the poor oligarchs were forced to flee to UK with as much money as they could line their underwear with.

They've been mostly amicable to deal with in the past

Oh yeah - Yeltsin was great fellow for the West to deal with. Give the guy a bottle of vodka, and he'll sign anything you want. Want some free natural gas or oil - just go talk to the oligarchs. Want to invade Russia's allies in Europe (Serbia) - why go ahead - Russia is lying drunk in a ditch, its not like it will do anything.

Oh- how the West must miss those times.

but for this year their relations with Europe have been getting more and more tense...What do ya'll think of the Russian situation?

It is a tough situation for the West. Invading Russia would be problematic. Surrounding Russia from all sides with pro-NATO puppet government seems like a good solution, and it has been somewhat successful in the last decade. But now that Russia is waking up, something must be done to put down that hungry beast once and for all. God Forbid it will actually want to take its economy and resources into its own hands, or even worse - try to have more influence on the world stage. No - US can't let this happen.

Here is an idea- maybe you should send Cheney and Condoleesa Rice to Europe, and rouse the peasants of the Baltics and Poland to take up arms and spears and quell the beast, and liberate themselves from the terrible oppression of Russia, at least untill the real liberators arrive after they are finished with Iraq.
(*sacrasm*)

The trouble with Russia is what you make of it. And luckily for you, your media is doing a great job of presenting a biased arguement under a thin veil of "free press".

[edit on 9-8-2007 by maloy]

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by blobby
The Tu-95 pilots exchanged smiles with their US counterparts
Russian bombers have flown to the US island of Guam in the Pacific in a surprise manoeuvre reminiscent of the Cold War era.
Two Tu-95 turboprops flew this week to Guam, home to a big US military base, Russian Maj Gen Pavel Androsov said.

Oh wow. This would actually be considered "news" if not for the fact that it occurs almost every week, and means absolutely nothing. Still - everytime somebody makes a big deal of it, and think that the end of the world is upon us.

They "exchanged smiles" with US pilots who scrambled to track them, he added.

What you mean they didn't bomb the US base, and US pilots didn't shoot them down? Damn - and here I was hoping that we would see some excitement for once. Oh well- maybe next time Russia can stage a surprise attack on Hawaii.

Now if you ask me Russia sure is on the move as of late

Russia is on the move? Why can't the bastards stand still dammit.

i sure hope NATO and the USA are doing similar things like flying nuclear bombers towards Russia to show them we too can do same.

Not only that, but they are setting up missile and radar batteries on near the Russian borders, and wispering dirty rumors to the local peasants about the big bad terrorists in Iran who supposedly want to bomb East Europe into oblivion.

Maybe all this is about the Artic region and Russia is sending a message saying take them serious about that region maybe?

Maybe Russia just wants to liberate the Arctic and set in place a prospering Democracy.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I read a piece quite some time ago regarding the worsening situation between Russia and the US / NATO. The article did make the point that under a long standing treaty it was the US and NATO causing all the problems. Under the treaty NATO agreed not to expand into former soviet territories and the US would not station troops / aircraft so close to Russian borders. I can't remember exactly which treaty it was, I'll have to see if I can find it again, and the original article, when I have more time (I'm off to India and need to get packing done but I'll definitely try to find the info).

So, if true about the terms of the treaty, it's pretty obvious it's not Russian belligerence so much as US / NATO breaking agreements. Of course, Russia is determined to keep it's resources (gas and oil) out of the hands of big corporate interests outside the country, so that for a start is gonna cause them problems. After all, it's those same mega corporations who direct energy policy and want to control it all.

Sure, the Russians can be pig headed and belligerent but the worsening situation can hardly be blamed entirely on them. Another cold-war is good for business anyway and ensures continued massive military spending

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I assume Russia is just taking advantage of the current situation the United States is in. Why wouldnt they?

Trust me guys, a war with Russia shouldn't even be on your radar.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 05:04 PM
link   
the cold war never ended

new topics

top topics

join