It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inspired by Tesla - Levitating Lightbulb!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 06:57 AM
link   
This 'art attraction' has certainly caught my attention.

The fact that the lightbulb uses electro-magnetic power to light up could certainly revolutionize industries out there. No more jokes about how many people does it take to screw in a lightbulb!

I'm quite amazed with this one!

This is not a trick or a photoshop manipulation. The bulb and the casing contain hidden circuitry [shown in figures] that uses electromagnetic feedback to levitate the bulb roughly 2.5" from the nearest object, and uses coupled resonant wireless power transfer to beam power from the housing into the bulb itself.

LINK

Here is a page with the Artists' Technical details and motivation

[edit: to correct Link]

[edit on 9-8-2007 by TheDuckster]

[edit on 9-8-2007 by TheDuckster]

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Hardly revolutionary but still a good example of a balanced electromagnetic system. Basically a feedback PWM controlled aircore transformer but it does look cool indeed - might consider making a toy like this myself

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Yeah, this is pretty cool. While it doesn't use any new physics, I am surprised by the claim on the first link that the bulb uses less power than a standard incandescent bulb. That is actually fairly impressive. Anyone with half a brain and the parts can build this at home, but it is the quality of what he has built that is commendable.

I also like how the guy posts his schematics up of the original device in the second link. (which he did with the free program Eagle, as I recognize it, having used it in the past
Too often, I see stuff like this that is difficult or impossible to reproduce, even assuming it's real, so it is nice to see that he has the plans there for anyone to verify his design and build one.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I'm forever intrigued by electro-magnetism.

I wonder how much a project like this would cost; counting all the materials involved?

I hope it's not just an expensive toy.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I would suppose that the same principle is applied in this next video. This goofy looking gent has simplified the basics, while using only readily available items at hand.

Warning: mild expletive

top topics

join