It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada joins rush to claim the Arctic

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Let's check out the North Pole. It seems that there is definitely a confluence of interests here. Looking at islands and such, the US has no claim, same with Norway. To me it looks like a 3 way between Canada, Denmark(via Greenland) and Russia(via Franz Josef Land). Whittling that down, it looks like a 2 way race between Denmark and Canada. THAT one will be tough to prove.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Wrong Jimbo, if you include the Fenian raids, it's 3 times.

Ahhh...ok, I stand corrected then
Cheers for that info.

J.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Let's check out the North Pole. It seems that there is definitely a confluence of interests here. Looking at islands and such, the US has no claim, same with Norway. To me it looks like a 3 way between Canada, Denmark(via Greenland) and Russia(via Franz Josef Land). Whittling that down, it looks like a 2 way race between Denmark and Canada. THAT one will be tough to prove.

Heheh...now those pesky Danes - THEY are the ones to be cautious of, if ya wanna know the real truth! Ever tried to drink a Dane under the table?? As a canadian, it's a proud part of my heritage to be able to withstand a massive ingestion of alchohol - many a russian and american has fallen before me - but the Danes?? Sheesh...now that's scary stuff.
Maybe we should just let them Vikings have the Artic then... there'd be a lot more Jack Daniels to go around...heh.

J.

J.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I have two questions. Does Russia have the technology (their own) not rented or subcontracted to recover resources at the North Pole? When they dropped the flag on the North Pole, did they drop it on the exact North Pole or just in the general vicinity? Thankyou

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 08:06 PM
link   
If anyone has been North of 60' you can appreciate that the North doesn't lend itself to applications of military force. There aren't that many folks and they are spread far and few between. We do have indigenous Rangers who do partol... but it's more like a "trap-line" visit. Pretty, lonely place.

I would expect Prime Minister Harper to continue to differ with the Senate Report on Arctic Sovereignty favouring a military naval presence and opposed to the traditonal Coast Guard's unarmed role.

The PMO is interested in a design based on Norweigan ice-breakers, made in Canada. I like that. If one looks about the 'Net there are photos of artist's concepts... and they are in the CCC "White and Red" and sport deck guns. Those ice-breakers are fine but the idea of not having a summer northern port to have as a base is very difficult logistics wise.

I have some trouble with the US notion that they have any claim East of the Alaska/Canada North-South border. I understand the argument but don't much like it. If Canadians really want a sovereign Arctic presence... then hadn't we better figure out a way to be present?

What will hold Canada's slice of the Northern pie? People and infrastructure. I have no problem with Russia claiming their "slice" on their "side" of the pole.

Cheers,

Vic

[edit on 9-8-2007 by V Kaminski]

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I can almost feel the winds of war upon us on this one and they are Arctic. It's another cold war but unlike the last one, it won't be fought with spies, intrigue, secrecy and arrogance but instead with technology that's so far advanced, we cannot even imagine it because only a few know about it and have it at their disposal. Where one false move by any one of those countries involved will end up in the annihilation of this planet at a flip of a switch.
It's oil. Black Gold. Take your shoes off, stay awhile -- enjoy the show folks while it lasts because there's no way in hell these country's are going to make music together without a HUGE CRESCENDO where at the end of the day, things are going to end with either a BOOM or a whimper.

[edit on 9-8-2007 by Palasheea]

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Sorry I'm still a little unsure how all this works. At least my shoulder is getting better and my typing is becoming easier. I read the entire thread about Russia claiming the North Pole and understand that they just were claiming a piece of territory or a piece of the action so to speak. As far as I can figure out they're hedging their bets on future commodities. The magnetic North Pole is always moving and if we are in for a polar shift what will that do to everyones claims? Will the geographic position of the North Pole be legally changed if there indeed is one? Also don't forget about the Hollow Earth theory and what the inhabitants might have to say about it. Lots to start speculating about. In our general concensus of the world and what is real, I don't think that there is technology to recover resources in that area of the world with the changing environment. Thanks and please humour me as I am not being facetious but am only trying to open up the conversation a little.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by michial
The magnetic North Pole is always moving and if we are in for a polar shift what will that do to everyones claims? Will the geographic position of the North Pole be legally changed if there indeed is one?

A valid point. The magnetic Pole just moved into Russia this year. It might make a difference. Might also have to do with the timing of this claim.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by michial
The magnetic North Pole is always moving and if we are in for a polar shift what will that do to everyones claims? Will the geographic position of the North Pole be legally changed if there indeed is one?

A valid point. The magnetic Pole just moved into Russia this year. It might make a difference. Might also have to do with the timing of this claim.

It did? When?

The Canadian Geological Survey puts it just offshore of Ellesmere.
gsc.nrcan.gc.ca...

Even if it has moved directly over Moscow, I can`t see what it would have to do with a sovereignty claim though. Am i missing something?

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I think that we should just put some of our Canadian icebreakers up there and get real loud about it. But then, that would require the government to have icebreakers to put up there and a voice that reached above a polite "Um, excuse me gentlemen."
As for the US, we beat them three times and burned the White House twice. That, by the way, is why it is the 'White' House. The entire thing was covered up with several coats of whitewash to disguise the burn damage after the rebuilds.
Seems that they still use whitewash, but for completely different purposes.

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimbo999
Hmmm...maybe we should grab the Antartic too while were at it, while all this confusion as to location pervades. I wonder if the russians know which end is up??

Canadian Diplomat: 'Sure comrades - go ahead and lay claim to the Antartic if you wish - it's all yours...we won't interfere...ahem, honest!'

[edit on 9-8-2007 by jimbo999]

Antarctica can't be claimed because of the Antarctic treaty, which has been signed
by 46 countries including America, Russia, Canada and nearly all of the important nations.

The few territorial claimes that have ever been made are ignored/not considered
legitimate by the majority of the world/UN.

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 11:01 AM
link   
My Opinion

The anartic treaty was never signed by the inuit so they probably own that land

and not Russia or Canada.

It's funny how people can just come around with flags and say this is mine LOL

But hey I guess it doesnt matter it's just funny.

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Nanisivik is gonna have a deep-water port, Resolute Bay's gonna get a training centre... a CBC link.

Cheers,

vic

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Denmark backed up by Russian sub sends team in with magic markers to draw the line

The makers of world famous DAK Ham Join the Fray

I know just what products to boycott too, vodka and Dak ham, that'll showem.

Enjoy

SyS

[edit on 12-8-2007 by Sys_Config]

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Here's a CBC video clip of Harper's announcements for the North, here. Just ahead of the cabinet shuffle... expect at least 16 (if not 20) cabinet seats to change hands... election comin'! Re-shuffle and rebalance the product display... expect more ladies. The Privy Council "runs the show" anyhow. Expect more "good" news clips "The New Government Of Canada" is to be "The new and Improved Government of Canada"?

The North is of "future-bright"... The NDP has a pretty bold "Northern Stance" here's a piece from their website from August 2nd and a letter from "Crazy-Jack" to the PM on August 6th. I was most impressed with their statement supporting veterans. They'll not get elected federally anytime soon without some serious flubs by the Cons and Libs. Some of their other policies aggravate my "Libertarian-sciatica".

Stephane Dion... WHERE ARE YOU BUDDY? Où est-ce que vous allez? Dude, coffee - smell some. Use it and/or lose it. Imagine Bob Rae as leader now? He'd be in front of every camera... he knows all the media and their kids by first name and skinny-dips with some!

The Libs need some media and some bank account McFast! I would expect something big from the Libs... bigger than Cretien or Martin's not un-substantial commitment to balanced indigenous-consultatitive Northern Development. If they aren't workin' on it already...
For almost all the Parties "this" would be the "safest" of election issues... we'll see what the Fall-In-Ottawa Parliamentary session brings.

I bopped around the YouTube-like sites and the Conservative site features more Dion video than... GOP-sites feature "Dean-scream"/Kerry/Hill-Billary stuff. American 'Net politics has arrived... shadow videographers and all.

Small "things" in the North can mean big changes... two or three votes here, a promise kept there... and the current situation could change. Only the Libs and NDP are established "Up North" with a couple of exceptions.

What kind of landing strip does a C-17 require? Could they handle year-round operations at high latitudes... how fancy a runway do they need?

Cheers,

Vic

[edit on 13-8-2007 by V Kaminski]

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Your Right Kaminski. why would they...Guys and Gals..I have a solution..If they claim the Arctic well I'll be damned if we can't claim the moon !. Thats right..we already have doggone US flag up there. Russia and Denmark can stick a giant flavor straw in the oceanbed for all I care. Thats not fair? ok let em keep mercury and venus and we will take the rest. They want to get stupid, well so can we. We should have done that a long time ago and this is how they do after weve been good to their greedy behinds.anyway. Later for the UN too, relocate it to Tehran or Zimbawe., we can turn it into public housing and help some real people, not to mention the parking space also. Useless empty suits with important sounding titles like "The chairman of the Security Council met today with delegates from Cuba and Rwandas chief of Space command CDR RutLedge and President mtukokuko for US assistance and the IMF"..I say Lets grab the moon and the rest of the solar system! in fact..get nasty and we will claim the entire asteroid and Oort belt and even revive the old manifest destiny doctrine and take the galaxy.!...If they don't like it Nuke us..otherwise stay out of the North Pole Putin you messed with the wrong pair of CoHones!!

SyS

On a calmer note if you don't care at least hit the flag button up there for old Santa Claus and Rudolph the red nose reindeer!. Stand for something..lKeep people alert on this issue. Thank you and God Save us all..

PS I hope those useless and fatherless Tabloid spies from Izvetsia read this and like the boot licking lackeys they are take it to the man.

[edit on 13-8-2007 by Sys_Config]

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Sys, before I address your post may I ask what country you are from?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join